hd help

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by mrdave, May 7, 2011.

1. mrdave

mrdave New Member

Apr 28, 2011
    i would like to ic a 500 gig sata and then copy that image to a good 160 gig all sata drives
    i need a good 160 gig for another unit i screwed up trying to upgrade
    any help would be appreciated

It's hard to tell from your post. Do you have 2 units, both with a messed up drives? Or is one working and one not working?

You have some options.

1. If you have Instant Cake for your model of TiVo, it can restore it to factory settings onto any drive. The target drive must be at least as big as the original drive (250GB for TCD648, 160GB for TCD652).

2. If you have a working unit, you can use a mfs tool to copy the software from one drive to another. However, this is only true if both TiVos are the same model. I use WinMFS from mfslive.org. This works in Windows and is easy to use. You can also get the MFSLive Boot CD which is a bootable Linux environment. You will need to issue Linux commands. There is a handy tool on the mfslive.org site to help you.

3. If you don't have a working TiVo, you can get an image from one of the friendly people on this forum to send you an image. I can provide you with a WinMFS image for your TiVoHD (TCD652) or Series3 (TCD648). If you want me to send you an image, PM me your email address.

2. joe.masters

joe.masters New Member

Oct 10, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Do you still have that image for a 648? I sure could use one, if you have it handy.

3. joe.masters

joe.masters New Member

Oct 10, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Tivo rules.