HD has green picture and low DB

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by TuesdaysChild, Jun 7, 2011.

1. TuesdaysChild

TuesdaysChild New Member

May 7, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Tivo HD has had a green screen for a while now. When it first happened, I contacted tivo. While I was on the phone with them, they asked about the db which is currently at 29. I think he said it should always be at 32 or maybe it was 35. At that point though, the color came back (my only concern atm) so, I let him go. I poked around a little and found out that the green screen probably means the hard drive needs to be replaced. My question is, will repelacing the hard drive fix whatever the problem is with the db? And, what exactly is the db?

2. HomeUser

HomeUser Active Member

Jan 12, 2003
    A2 Michigan
    Are you seeing a solid green screen or a green image? If it displays the TiVo menus in green you have a connection problem between the TV and TiVo check or replace the video cables or try a different type of connection.

If it is a solid green screen commonly referred to as the Green Screen Of Death (GSOD) that could be caused by Data Base (DB) corruption which may be the result of disk drive failure. Fortunately there are some tests you can run these are called Kick Start Codes (KS) I suggest you run KS-54 and if the drive(s) test pass run KS-57

3. TuesdaysChild

TuesdaysChild New Member

May 7, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Thank you so much homeuser!! It was just a bad connection that was causing the picture to be green.

Would you still suggest I run the tests?

The db 29 is what's listed under SNR in the diagnositcs menu. I'm still trying to figure out what that is and how it affects how the dvr operates. Anyone have any idea?

4. HomieG

HomieG Nowhere Man...

Feb 17, 2003
    Somewhere...
    That's the signal-to-noise ratio of the RF input to the TiVo (either from cable or OTA antenna). Higher number is better, but unless you're getting a lot of dropout or pixelation on the video, then 29 is generally OK. An amplifier in-line with the antenna or cable can help the SNR.

Now that you have found the green screen issue, see if even at SNR of 29dB, your recordings are OK.

I don't see how the SNR and green screen could be related and believe you were not given good advice by the customer support people...happens all/most of the time...

5. HomeUser

HomeUser Active Member

Jan 12, 2003
    A2 Michigan
    There is no need to run the tests if the problem was the video/audio connections.