1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD external

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Drpepr, Aug 11, 2018.

1. Drpepr

Drpepr New Member

Aug 5, 2018
    I have a 1 TB WD Caviar Black that I used to have connected to a cable box many years ago. It has a dock that it sits in so essentially is an external HD. Any harm in connecting this to a roamio plus? Will the roamio format it and integrate it with little difficulty?
    Thanks

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
  2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    No, it will not work and is not recommended. Failure of anything between the 2 drives (including the connections, etc.) will lose shows.

3. tampa8

tampa8 Official Tivo User

Jan 25, 2016
    Ct & FL
    Won't work? Not by just plugging it in of course but can't this sata drive be married?... Not recommended is an opinion, I happen to agree but not everyone does.

4. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    I think you could marry it to the Roamio Plus with MFSTools 3.2, but I agree with ThAbtO. The risk/benefit ratio isn't worth it when there are SO many other options that don't involve the additional complications of an external drive. Up to 4TB with a straight MFSTools copy and up to 8TB if you're willing to back up your existing recordings and start over from scratch with MFSR.

5. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    The only plug-and-play external drive that works is the Tivo brand Expandr drives, they came in 500GB and 1TB models. They are not made any more and would fail after a few years.

The way Tivo stored recorded shows is portions are on the internal and the rest on the external, randomly. Failure usually is with the hard drive, the external case, or the connections between.

Recommended is to replace the internal drive with a single larger one.

Roamio is simple (no image required,) just swap out the drive for up to 3TB (without any PC work) and it will use the entire drive, up to 8TB is with little PC work (about 10 min).

6. Drpepr

Drpepr New Member

Aug 5, 2018
    Thanks everyone. Microcenter has the red efrx 3tb for under 100.

The instructions on this forum make it sound easy so Ill go with that.

7. just4tivo

just4tivo Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    I have a WD10EURS 1TB SATA hard drive in a Thermaltake BlackX dock with USB and eSATA interface that has been working perfectly using the eSATA connection on one of my Roamios OTA boxes for over three years.

The Roamio recognized the external drive immediately and let me format and prepare the drive without any problem at all.

I have experimented with other 3.5" WD drives in the same dock that my Roamio would not recognize.
    I came to the conclusion that certain WD AV-GP drives that coincidentally were also used by WD in their external drives that are recognized by TiVos had the correct code in their firmware or MBR for TiVo to accept while other drive models and series did not have that information and my TiVo ignored those drives.

Might be coincidence that the WD EURS drives WD used in their DVR expanders also worked with
    TiVos as a bare drive in certain external docks with eSATA interfaces.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
  8. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    This is a good choice.

9. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    This is a WD Green AV drive which is no longer made, so any sold is overpriced and (about) out of warranty. It used to be a recommended drive but the Intellipark and PUIS became a problem. I have one in my Series 3, and soft reboots hangs, but when software was updated to the current 11.0n.K1, all reboots (warm and cold) are normal again.

10. Drpepr

Drpepr New Member

Aug 5, 2018
    What is the average lifespan of the Roamio plus (2013) hard drives?

The 1TB will likely meet my needs for now but since this is a new setup, should I just go ahead and do the 3TB upgrade before it eventually goes bad?

11. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    If it's new now would be better. My 2014 basic Roamio is in constant use. I put a 1TB drive (WD10EURX) in it when I bought it. I put a 3TB drive (WD30EURX) in another Roamio in 2015. Only drive failure has been an external I bought from TiVo. Lesson learned.

If I was facing your decision, I would replace the fan too.

There is no average lifespan. But if you would like it to fail sooner, don't use a UPS. :)

12. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    The failure rate is pretty low, but when you add an external drive, that rate would increase.

13. Drpepr

Drpepr New Member

Aug 5, 2018
    Thanks UPS setup and the 3TB is in!

rdrrepair likes this.
  14. jrod9707

jrod9707 Member

Oct 14, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Since you brought this up I had to check amazon when I purchased my Western Digital My Book AV DVR Expander 1 TB USB 2.0/eSATA External Hard Drive. It was 6/2012. Originally hooked up to a Series 3 for a year or 2 until I bought a Roamio PRO. Its still running great, but now I'm feeling the pressure that I'm really on borrowed time...
    I'll need to get my 3 TB red put into my OTA unit and transfer my shows before its too late :)

15. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    I've got an 8TB white label western digital easy store drive running in my Roamio OTA since 12/17. Seems to be working fine.

jth tv likes this.