Hd Dvr

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by oldsmoboat, Oct 19, 2008.

1. oldsmoboat

oldsmoboat New Member

Jun 27, 2002

Advertisements

I have a S1 and an S2 Tivo. I am looking at getting the S3 to replace my comcast (non Tivo) DVR which is absolute junk.
    How is the operation of the HD DVR as far a lag time and audio drop outs?
    This comcast dvr is constantly dropping the audio signal and the time between pressing a button on the DVR and the DVR responding is ridiculous.
    Unfortunately, since my Tivo account is not active (moved to an area that only had satellite and went with the Dish DVR) we don't qualify for a discount on the S3. Now that we moved back into civilization, we are looking at Tivo again.
    I have to admit, if we change, I will miss On Demand.
    TIA

2. techieunite

techieunite New Member

Oct 18, 2005
    You'll like the Tivo HD.

If you have broadband, it support Rhapsody, Video Downloads from Amazon, and you can get video downloads from TivoCast for Free.

I finally got a Tivo HD after having a Comcast DVR.

I still have my Comcast DVR as my main DVR.

Why don't you just get an extra digital cable receiver. That way when you do want to watch on demand, you can do so.

I rarely if every watch on demand. Occassional I miss a show and use it to watch it on demand if it's available.

I pay for premimum cable channels, but most of the movies I have already seen.

In most areas, the cable card required for the Tivo HD counts as your first digital box/outlet.

So you'ld only be paying Tivo for it monthly.

In some areas, you can every get the cable card itself for free to get HD broadcast channels.

Why don't you get a Tivo HD and try it for 30 days. I believe Tivo is giving 3 months free.

If you don't want it, you could always sell it on Ebay. I see Tivo HD boxes going for between 250-$280 all the time. Brand new they are only $299 retail.

3. oldsmoboat

oldsmoboat New Member

Jun 27, 2002
    Thanks for the input.

I suppose you just run a splitter and turn on the one you want to use?

4. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    generally speaking, yes.. but no "turn on the one you want"
    leave them on, switch to the one you want.