HD DirecTv and Tivo -- can I get an quick executive summary please?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Stephen M. Smith, Jan 21, 2006.

1. Stephen M. Smith

Stephen M. Smith New Member

Mar 22, 2005
    Marina del...
    I know the answers to all my questions are right here in the forum, but would someone mind saving me hours of reading and give me the executive summary on DirecTv HD and Tivo? I know bits and pieces like new MPEG4 locals, DirecTv pushing their own DVR's, etc, but really all I need is the answer to one question:

Is the H10-250 my last opportunity to record DirecTv HD using the *TiVo* interface???

Thanks,
    Steve

2. btwyx

btwyx Substantive Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Mountain...
    Yes.

(Unless D* comes to their senses.)

3. Redux

Redux No intent to annoy

Oct 19, 2004
    Obviously there is a certain madman involved who is not going to come to his senses anytime soon. The ownership structure is a little unusual. It is not _completely_ impossible that with a relatively minor shift in alignment this individual will be out of the picture before DTV becomes completely irrelevant as a mainstream entertainment source.

However, I have no idea whether DTV, freed to act as an individual company in its own interests, would change direction. There were certainly indications, even pre-catastrophe, that DTV was not immune to folly regarding its DVR service.

All things considered, it has to be a thousand to one shot.

4. Stephen M. Smith

Mar 22, 2005
    Marina del...
    Well this sucks.

5. smoking_rubber

smoking_rubber New Member

Dec 21, 2005
    While I applaud the functions and usefulness of tivo, I'm hoping D* found an even better tool for us. The hr10-250 has been out for several years now and the current technology available is surely on par or better than it was 3 years ago. So until they produce this new box, I'm not willing to bash it's quality. I'm not overly attached to the tivo logo. As long as the new stuff does everything the old stuff did . . . everything will be okay with me :cool:

I'm more upset about not having access to shows like THE SUPER BOWL in HD! What kinda crap is that? Gimme the waiver guys!

6. BeanMeScot

BeanMeScot Sci-Fi Junkie

Apr 17, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    The problem is that the new DVR likely will not do everything Tivo does. That's the problem with other DVRs. They aren't Tivos.

7. bpratt

bpratt New Member

Nov 20, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    My first DVR was a ReplayTV. I have owned the D* Tivo (HR10-250) upgraded to 550 G for about 14 months and probably watch it about 90% of the time because I prefer HD. However, my wife and I both like the interface and features of the ReplayTV better than the Tivo. If the next D* HD DVR is more like the ReplayTV, I will be very happy.

8. disco

disco Father of Sam.

Mar 27, 2000
    Lake...
    The next D* HD DVR will be a mixture of the H20 HD receiver, and the R15 DVR. It will not be like ReplayTV (and I've had ReplayTV...kinda miss some features on it...:().

9. AstroDad

AstroDad Like Death & Taxes

Jan 21, 2003
    Houston
    I thought standalone TiVos would work with Satellite TV? If so, couldn't you have the Series 3 and DirecTV (with a DirecTV HD Receiver)?

10. Stephen M. Smith

Mar 22, 2005
    Marina del...
    Yeah, exactly. Have you seen those cable DVR's? I bet the bullet-point feature list makes it sound like it does everything a TiVo does, but if you've actually used one, you know it's pathetic.

11. Stephen M. Smith

Mar 22, 2005
    Marina del...
    AFAIK, it doesn't have component or digital video inputs so you can not record hd delivered by DirecTv.

12. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    Series 2 standalones can record from DirecTV or Dish.

Series 3 will be cable and/or antenna only. No way to inoput a direct signal or control an external converter box.