HD Antenna in to Bolt - What about MOCA?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by dmaxdmax, Apr 13, 2016.

1. dmaxdmax

dmaxdmax New Member

Apr 9, 2016

Advertisements

This can't be that hard but I'm having difficulty grasping a number of the issues with planning a new TiVo setup. I've read lots of pages here and elsewhere but have gone too far and just succeeded in confusing myself.

Q1 - My Bolt will be conveniently located near a window that should be perfect for an antenna. The antenna will have coax but if I attach that to the Bolt I won't have a jack for the MOCA. Do they both go into a simple splitter?

Q2 - A mini has built in MOCA yes? All I'll need to do is attach coax that's part of the established network.

Q3 - The must be splitters hiding in the crawlspace - is there a risk that I'll need to replace them? (I mean find them. I'm not the first owner and there's a spaghetti bowl of wires in the crawlspace and attic)

There's more but the questions will depend on these answers.

Thank you!

2. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    #2 is easy, minis have MoCA builtin.
    #3 less easy, subpar splitters and cabling are the primary reasons for MoCA failures/problems. Splitters without at least a 1GHz rating are not a good sign and neither are old fashioned crip on coax connectors.
    #1 The issue here depends on if you are planning on using the builtin MoCA on the Bolt or a separate MoCA adapter. How were you planning on getting internet access to your Bolt, a direct Ethernet connection from your router or some type of MoCA connection?

3. dmaxdmax

dmaxdmax New Member

Apr 9, 2016
    I thought I'd use a Actiontec (or similar) adapter with my cable modem and router which are 2 rooms away.

An alternative is to run Cat5 between the router and televisions. AT&T will do it for me for free (free after $20,000 of monthly charges over 10 years). Then I could just plug both the ethernet and the antenna into the Bolt, right?

4. poppagene

poppagene User

Dec 29, 2001
    Best would be if you could get AT&T to run cat5 from the router to the mini in addition to the run to your Bolt. Then no need to deal with crawlspace and attic cabling and splitters.

5. dmaxdmax

dmaxdmax New Member

Apr 9, 2016

Advertisements

Yes, I know they will run cat5e from router to both televisions and I'm sure for a fee they'll also run it to where my wireless receiver is. The downside is they will have to relocate my modem and router to a less convenient (for us) location.

6. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Hybrid setups are tricky.

Since the OTA coax and internet coax are not connected (and shouldn't be) getting moca to work means connecting the antenna to a splitter that feeds to all the Tivo boxes where you'll need moca, as well as another coax run to the router that will connect to the moca adapter.

Alternatively, an ethernet feed from the Bolt to the router would avoid the need for that extra coax run and the adapter.

Most splitters should just work, but there's always some unknown amount of risk of needing replacement that we can't quantify. If they're old, damaged, have poor shielding, or whatever.