HD 3 to Premiere Upgrading Issues

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Emacee, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Emacee

Emacee Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Philadelphia...
    I'm starting to look at getting a Premiere. Two questions:

(1) Can I just switch the cable cards from my HD3 myself, or will I have to have a Verizon FIOS installer come out (or go through Verizon voice menu hell)?

(2) Will my 500 GB Western Digital My DVR expansion drive work with the new Premiere unit?

2. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    You can switch the cards yourself, and I believe Verizon has a website where you can activate it in the new box. But since Verizon doesn't care about pairing, it will probably work without doing anything after you move it.

Your old expansion drive will work but you'll lose recordings on it.

This is not an 'upgrade' per se, it's a sidegrade. Moving to the Elite would be an upgrade.

3. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Most Verizon areas still don't pair the cards so you can move them to a new device and they'll work fine, if they don't a simple call will get them paired, I know I have as recently as a few months ago.

4. Emacee

Emacee Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Philadelphia...
    I've been reading further on Tivo's website. It sounds like the Premiere only has one cable card slot and needs cable card cable of tuning two channels. My Series 3 has two cable cards, each tuning one channel each. This sounds like I have to switch to the newer dual-channel card. Am I reading this correctly?

5. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    If your card is not a M-card you will have to get one since it is required. It says on the card itself.

6. dianebrat

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Your S3 requires 2 cards, always, they can be singlestream or multistream, if you power down the Tivo and pull the card you can see which kind it is. If you have 2 multistream cards you're all set.

7. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    You shouldn't even need to power it down, just pull the card. As long as it goes back in the same slot it should be fine. At least that was always the case with my S3 boxes and Comcast.

8. dianebrat

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    I know, but it grumps at you, with it off it says nothing, does nothing, so I felt better recommending off.

9. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    The original S3, the TCD648250, needs 2 cable cards, one for each tuner.

The later S3s, the HD and the HD XL (TCD652160 and TCD658000), can use 2 S cards or a single M card.

It's unlikely, but not impossible, that your unit has 2 M cards (maybe that's all that were on the truck that day, and since it had to use 2 they gave you 2).

So find the restart option in the menu, do the 3 thumbs down and have your hand on the wall plug when you hit the enter button and pull it when the screen goes blank, then pop out the cards and see what you've got.

10. YoungGemini

YoungGemini Geek

Jan 11, 2007
    TivoHD doesn't require two CableCARDs. I have a TivoHD w/ a single M-card and it records two programs at once just fine.

And I already have the new M-card for my Elite which arrives on Fri (=

11. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    And your experience with one model of TiVo obviously applies to everyone else's experience with the entire range of TiVo models.:rolleyes: