HBOGo(or other streaming) vs OTA debate

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by robojerk, May 30, 2011.

1. robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    The Game of Thrones thread feels crowded by people discussing if it is fair or against the rules to discuss officially aired (if only by 10% of HBO subscribers) new episodes of shows.

I don't feel passionate about it either way, but I like Game of Thrones and would rather start a new thread for people to discuss the logistics of TivoCommunity rules for the new world of internet streaming we live in. I think this was just a stunt for HBO to get people to try their app so it may or may not be an ongoing issue for a show to be released a week early on one format vs the normal cable OAD.

I think viewers should be able to discuss those episodes here, now if these were leaked episodes I would have a different opinion. It's not their fault that HBO aired it early.

Discuss..

2. SurvivorFan

SurvivorFan & TiVo Loyalist

Mar 9, 2011
    is it...
    I agree that the airing on HBOGo should be fair game for discussion.

3. Mr Flippant

Mr Flippant Regular User

Jan 2, 2009
    I think as long as the episode name, a spoilers tag and in the case of early showing, the source is used in the title then it is fair game. I mean this is far from the first example of shows airing earlier on to those with different systems. Direct TV users see many shows sometimes months before others and they post discussion threads..

4. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Yeah, it seems to me that if you're not allowed to discuss a show you have legitimately watched, then this forum has lost its usefulness. There's no law that says people who haven't seen it yet have to open the thread.

5. Aniketos

Aniketos Active Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Agreed, if it's been shown legally. It's been shown. The argument people made was that not everyone could access it. If a show gets preempted and my tivo doesn't catch an episode, I don't make people wait until the then to start a thread.

6. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I'm against it but won't fight over it. It's legally available to watch on HBO Go but I think tv should be watched on a tv, not a computer dammit. It kinda takes the fun out of boring people with my comments when they're a week late and all the dumb things I might say have already been said.

7. Peter000

Peter000 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    I moved this from the "Game of Thrones" thread.

I don't see what's so hard about NOT LOOKING AT THE THREAD if you haven't seen the show.

It's like discussing Friday Night Lights after it's aired on DirecTV channel 101 only. No, not everyone has it, but why should DirecTV customers be punished because it hasn't aired on Network TV yet?

Not everyone has HBO either. Should we not discuss the show until it comes out on DVD so EVERYONE has had a chance to see it?

8. drumorgan

drumorgan a "dry" funny

Jan 11, 2003
    America's...
    Do we really want a rule that stops people here from discussing ANY topic? First they came for Game of Thrones, and I didn't say anything... Then they came for me, and there was no one left to say anything. :)

9. Peter000

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    "Game of Threads."

10. BitbyBlit

BitbyBlit .

Aug 25, 2001
    What about the people who can't afford the DVDs? I say everyone should have to wait until the series re-airs on a broadcast channel before they are allowed to discuss it. And any scenes that have to be cut for commercials can only be discussed via spoiler tags. :D

Seriously, though, I think we all need to remember why the rule was created in the first place. The rule was created to keep episode-specific threads from being created before the events of that episode could be legitimately discussed. It wasn't meant to force some people to have to wait for others before being able to discuss an episode.

There's nothing magical about a show airing in the United States. That was simply the guideline that meant that a show had been released for legal public consumption. Now we are in an era where when and where a show airs is becoming less and less important. Eventually I think we will reach a point where nothing is "aired" anymore, but simply released for download.

So if we stick to the letter of the rule, then that means we won't be able to discuss any shows anymore. On the other hand, if we remember the spirit, then I think that means shows released for streaming are fair game for discussion.

11. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    I'm one of those who think threads should wait for "official" airings, but I also don't think it's worth losing sleep over (IOW, I'll go with the majority).

My reasoning is that threads tend to become stale after a few days. I enjoy reading these threads as they develop, not as a finished product. OTOH, since it's likely that very few posters are able to see early showings, that's not as much an issue as could be. But that may change as the world turns.

I do disagree with MANY of the arguments made in favor of allowing this. They are disingenuous at best: what if my TiVo misses an episode, what if I can't afford HBO, what if I slept late. I think we're all smart enough to realize that's not what we're really debating here.

I don't know if I would do that. Then you'll create more confusion--is that the thread for THAT showing, or all showings? If one wanted to be thorough (and courteous), you could mention at the beginning of the first post why you are posting before the OTA broadcast. As a warning to those of us who don't always know how each episode is titled.

Now that I think about it, I would stick with putting the original OTA date in the title; otherwise confusion reigns.

12. gchance

gchance 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 6, 2002
    Olivehurst, CA
    I don't have a problem with it. I had planned on watching the episode on HBO Go in the gym while on the bike, but was having wifi issues at the time and wasn't able to. No problem, so I purposely didn't go into the thread until I saw the episode last night. When I got into the thread though, I found that the discussion wasn't about the episode AT ALL, and was entirely about whether people should be allowed to post.

Why is it so hard to just ignore the thread until you've seen the episode? Once again, GOT discussion has been ruined by people arguing over things outside the episode itself.

Greg

13. SurvivorFan

SurvivorFan & TiVo Loyalist

Mar 9, 2011
    is it...
    I don't know about everyone else, but I watch internet video content on the TV frequently. There are multiple ways to do this nowadays.

14. robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    I don't think the normal cable channels are going anywhere in the immediate future, however more people are streaming content instead of watching over the coax. As time goes on this notion of on demand and portable viewing will get more popular.

I still think being able to watch the episode one week early was just a gimmick to get subscribers to download their app, so all of this might be moot. However if viewers can legally watch the show, they should be able to discuss it.

15. Peter000

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    Is next week's episode available a week early too?

16. pendragn

pendragn Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2001
    Ames Iowa
    I don't participate much in the TV Show Talk threads, so I don't have much of a dog in this fight. I'm perfectly fine with streaming availability being taken into account when people start threads. However, I much prefer people follow the rules in place, so that everyone's expectations are the same. I think until the rule has changed, streaming should not count. I think some folks should talk to the moderators and see if they'll change the rule. It seems like a reasonable request. After the rule has changed, then folks can talk about it after it streams, but before it airs on HBO.

As to why it matters. Yes, of course people can simple not click threads if they haven't watched the episode. That does make the most sense, and I find it very odd that people do click the thread if they haven't watched it. However, I completely understand why people that can't stream it don't want the discussion to start early, without them. Some folks don't want to just read a thread about an episode, they want to participate in it. It's tough to participate in a thread that's a week old, especially on something like Game of Thrones which is very active. It's much easier to keep up with a thread that has 100 posts if you start at the beginning. It's much tougher to start when the thread has 100 posts when you first jump in. Also, it increases the chances that someone will smeek, or just not post at all. Both of which are bad.

That's my two cents.

tk

17. BitbyBlit

BitbyBlit .

Aug 25, 2001
    Not having HBO isn't a disingenuous argument. Suppose a show aired on HBO, then a week later aired on a broadcast channel. In that case, just as in the case of Game of Thrones, some people would see the show a week before others. Should the HBO subscribers be required to wait until the broadcast airing before being able to discuss it? According to the current rules, no.

I don't see how a show being downloaded via the Internet is any different than being shown on a different channel. If we're going to make that distinction, then we ought to also treat free, over-the-air content differently than content delivered to us only via cable or satellite.

People should be able to post their thoughts about an episode when those thoughts are freshest in their minds. Just because others don't have access to the same content that they do should not preclude them from being able to discuss it.

18. Azlen

Azlen Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Peoria, AZ
    If enough people see it online to be able to have a discussion about it then they should be able to discuss it. The majority of people will still probably watch it when it airs on HBO so there shouldn't be any reason to believe that the discussion will be refreshed at that time.
    I agree with the need for certain rules but being available on HBO2GO should be considered a valid "airing". BTW IIRC there have been threads started regarding "leaked" pilots that were months ahead of them actually being aired.

19. pjenkins

pjenkins God bless Texas :)

Mar 8, 1999
    Plano, TX, USA
    same here, laptop has HDMI and the squid's new laptop has "beam screen" to TV wirelessly

20. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Nope or at least not as of this post.