1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HBOGO activation on xFinity?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by nrnoble, May 18, 2018.

1. nrnoble

nrnoble Member

Aug 25, 2004
    Unless I am overlooking something, the xFinity does not allow the activation of the HBOGO app for Tivo. When I attempt to activate the HBOGO app, xFinity does not appear on the list of cable providers that will activate the HBOGO app.

I am looking for insight\education on why the HBOGO app can be activated on Roku, iPad, and home Computers, but not on my Tivo Bolt.

Thanks

Last edited: May 18, 2018
  2. giomania

giomania New Member

Aug 25, 2017
    Yeah, that is annoying. HBOGo is for customers without cable/satellite video subscriptions, while HBONow is for customers with cable/satellite video subscriptions.

Does that help?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3. gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    I think you have that backwards.

ke3ju and krkaufman like this.
  4. gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    Unfortunately, the necessary deals are not in place to allow the use of HBO Go to Comcast users on a TiVo. It's similar to how Comcast users used to not be able to watch Showtime Anytime on an Apple TV.

Last edited: May 18, 2018
    giomania likes this.
  5. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Because Comcast hasn't arranged with HBO to allow it. :)

You can get to the same content on Comcast with their OnDemand app through your TiVo which is why I'm sure they haven't enabled it since they would prefer you go through that route. Note that you don't have to use the app for finding the shows if you have an idea of what you are searching for. Just search using the TiVo's search and play from there selecting XFINITY XOD under Watch Now (Kong:Skull Island for example).

Scott

6. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    They *definitely* have it backwards.

HBOgo == for cable/satellite subscribers
    HBO NOW == standalone OTT service

7. Sgt Howl

Sgt Howl Member

Jan 18, 2013
    Bit-starved garbage from Comcast cable/on-demand. I wonder if the HBO Go/Now streaming is higher quality.

8. morac

morac Cat God

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    It is.

Sgt Howl likes this.
  9. nrnoble

nrnoble Member

Aug 25, 2004
    Thanks for responses.

Thanks, I do have access to xFinity on demand through my Tivo. When i go to access HBO on demand content using the xFinity app (just a text menu of on demand programming), and the HBO programming offered significantly limited compared to HBOGO. As just one example, xFinity on demand only offers Season three of Sex and the City, while HBOGO offers the entire series. Same can be said about other HBO series and HBO documentaries.

For me its only a minor issue, I have a Roku device connected to the same TV using the same xFinity internet service, and have access to HBOGO. Just have to use two remotes and switch TV inputs.

krkaufman likes this.
  10. HerronScott

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    So I see! Obviously what I've looked for has been more limited (as well as others that have reported on this).

Will have to complain to Comcast on this (HBO On Demand not providing access to all)!

Scott

krkaufman likes this.
  11. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Interestingly, the same is true with Fios on demand with Sex and the City. I thought the Fios catalogue was more complete last year. I don’t look at it much. I prefer using HBOGo.

12. humbb

humbb Active Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Northern CA
    And yet the Xfinity Stream app on my tablet provides access to all (six???) seasons of Sex in the City. Go figure.

13. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    The parallels continue. Same is true for Fios app.

Maybe licensing? Maybe the tablet apps are redirecting to hbo app? Odd they would be the same.

14. morac

morac Cat God

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    You’re more than likely to get a response that authenticating with HBO and Tivo is too difficult. That was their go to excuse a few years ago. The more likely excuse is that Tivo hasn’t paid Comcast enough money. There’s really no other reason it took nearly 10 years for Comcast to allow HBO on Roku and the PlayStation 3 and 4 when other providers had it working from day 1.

15. alexb

alexb Active Member TCF Club

Jan 4, 2003
    Kirkland, WA
    This is about Comcast protecting their turf, nothing more. It sucks. They seem to be in a quiet war with Microsoft too.

16. HerronScott

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    I wasn't going to complain to Comcast about not authenticating. I was going to complain about their XOD not providing all the content of HBO OnDemand (as I mentioned).

Scott

krkaufman likes this.
  17. morac

morac Cat God

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    No, my point was Comcast will come up with a bogus excuse as to why they haven’t added this, such as it being TiVo’s or HBO’s fault when it’s almost certainly because neither want to pay Comcast for the privilege.

18. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Agreed. It’s one thing for Comcast to block access to HBO GO, generally, but it’s another if they’re not providing content parity via their own On Demand offering.

19. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    How? They aren’t blocking TiVo from HBO either linearly or on demand. Nor do they block HBOGo on other devices. If they are protecting their turf they are doing a bad job of it.

20. tenthplanet

tenthplanet Active Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Unless you're getting a dynamite deal on HBO price wise, you may be better enough just getting freestanding HBO Now for your streaming devices, lots of material on demand within it.