HBO was canceled by cable company in error, then added a day later. Tivo's went nuts!

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by tough joe, Jul 6, 2009.

1. Jul 6, 2009 #1 of 21
    tough joe

tough joe Member

Sep 16, 2006
    This one is funny. My cable company "disconnected" my HBO in error, then fixed it a day later. When it was removed, my 3 tivo's all said "hey, a channel was removed. I shall delete it from your line up".

Now that HBO is back (channel 3 in my area), tivo does not recognize that channel 3 is HBO. I cant set up a recording. But I can watch channel 3 live.

The tivo's I have are
    1) Tivo HD
    2) S2DT
    3) S2ST

For the TivoHD, I ran a channel scan, and it found the new channel 3 and added it. No guide info listed for channel 3 though.
    For the other 2 tivo's, there is no way to scan my channels? I did guided set up, but the channel 3 is still not added to the guide. Will this happen overnight when tivo dials out? Any other help on how to fix this sooner than later is appreciated. Thanks,

Joe

2. Jul 6, 2009 #2 of 21
    stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    That's not the way it works. TiVo has no idea what channels your cable company thinks you subscribe to - all it knows is what channels are offered by the cable company. It sounds as if the cable company accidentally told Tribune Media Services that it no longer offered HBO. TMS passed that info along to TiVo which dropped it from your lineup. You'll have to wait for TiVo to catch up with the change. It's possible that if you have the boxes dial in that they'll get it now.

3. Jul 6, 2009 #3 of 21
    tough joe

tough joe Member

Sep 16, 2006
    This may help. My cable company gives us HBO without the need for a cable box. The entire city gets HBO sent out of the office and then the customers who dont pay for it, they put a scrambler on the line in the locked box outside out homes. This eliminates us from needing a set top box. The cable guy himself put the block on the line yesterday in error, a day later after I called, they came out and took the block off and left a note of appology on the door "sorry for the mistake".

Im not that experienced to know the ins and outs of tribune and tivo, but the tivo's deleted the channel once it detected channel 3 was no longer transmitting a signal.

Now that channel 3 is back, Im trying to figure out how to get the channel added back to my line up, and get the 2 weeks of tv guide info downloaded

Right now, on the TivoHD, I get the channel 3 because I was able to run a "channel scan". It recognized channel 3, but now the "info" button says "to be announced, no information available." Also, when I press "guide" button, it now lists 3 but no listings information.

However, on the other 2 tivo's, I dont have the option of running a channel scan. The only option I have on these S2 is to run a guided set up. I did that but still no channel 3. If I press channel 2 and I use the channel up button, it skips channel 3 and goes right to channel 4. Also, my guide lists channel 2, 4, 5, 6, 7 and so on, but no channel 3. Yet, if I enter 03 on the remote, It goes right to 3, showing HBO but the guide info says "to be announced, no information available."

The problem as I see it is, how can I get my series 2 tivos to scan my channels?

4. Jul 6, 2009 #4 of 21
    lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    When you go to the list of channels is your HBO channel on the list (checked or unchecked). If the HBO channel is not on your channel list (in this case CH 3) your cable co must have reported HBO as MIA. You will have to call TiVo to have them add the channel back on the system, if the ch is on your list unchecked just check it and all will be fixed but i don't think that the case because TiVo would never know that anybody came to your home and added a HBO block, as was stated in this post you tell TiVo what cable service you get as in basic, expanded basic, or digital. If digital TiVo gets all the data for all the channels you cable co has and its up to you to check or un-check the channels you don't get/or want.

5. Jul 6, 2009 #5 of 21
    tough joe

tough joe Member

Sep 16, 2006
    On the Tivo HD - the channel is checked. Also, "info" says "to be announced" on channel 3. And the guide has 3 listed too with a "to be announced".

On the other 2 series 2 tivo's, channel 3 is NOT listed on the list. The guide only lists 2,4,5,6 etc skipping channel 3 completely. Yet, if i manually enter channel 3 on the remote, the channel shows perfectly.

So is a call to tivo what I need to do, or can I do something on their site? Like to initiate a software thingy.. ?

6. Jul 7, 2009 #6 of 21
    gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    Tried going thru Guided Setup again?

7. Jul 7, 2009 #7 of 21
    stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Start here for troubleshooting this - and also how to report the problem to TiVo.

8. Jul 7, 2009 #8 of 21
    tough joe

tough joe Member

Sep 16, 2006
    Thanks Gastrof and Steve - I have tried guided set up but no luck. I'll report the problem to tivo in a few days to see if it clears itself. Thanks!

Joe

9. Jul 8, 2009 #9 of 21
    tough joe

tough joe Member

Sep 16, 2006
    Update: Woke up this morning and channel 3 is now listed on all my tivo guides - but still shows "to be announced". Looks like im on my way....

10. tough joe

tough joe Member

Sep 16, 2006
    Ok here is an update. After reporting the problem to tivo on 7/10/09, they fixed the problem on 2 of the 3 tivos on 7/12/09. For some reason, the 3rd tivo did not get fixed, so i made a quick call to the tivo tech support today 7/15/09 to fix the 3rd tivo. They had me go to tivo central - restart or reset system - clear program information and to do list. After about an hour - I was told this should work. I'll give an update later on.

11. tough joe

tough joe Member

Sep 16, 2006
    well, everything tech support and I have tried has failed. I am now in the process of backing up all saved shows on an usb hard drive connected to my pc. Once done, I will be doing a "clear and delete everything" to have the whole unit be reformatted and start from scratch.

12. tough joe

tough joe Member

Sep 16, 2006
    Back up of hard drive was completed and I ran "Clear and delete everything", and pefecto! It worked like a charm. I now get everything Im supposed to. Now to transfer videos BACK to my tivo.... argh..

13. tough joe

tough joe Member

Sep 16, 2006
    Just a side note, my newly formated tivo is working great! Not sure but I think that because I had it for years and it had tons and tons of use, deleting shows, adding/deleting season passes, upgrading the many versions of tivo software, etc) something tells me that like a windows pc, every few years its best to reformat the hd and do a fresh install of windows. Well, after doing this clear and delete everything, my tivo works like a charm. No delays, instant action, and best of all, room to room transfers use to take 4 hours for a 2 hour "best" quality video transfer, now it takes about 1 hour.

I do recommend this action for anyone who has had their tivo for a while and are noticing quirks with it. Anyway, thought id share. Thanks

14. DaJoos

DaJoos Member

Dec 31, 2002
    Joe - Interesting story, and glad it all eventually worked out. The main reason for my posting, however, is to thank you for taking the time to write back and let us know what fixed your problem. Too many times I've had a problem, searched for a post by someone who also experienced it (there's always someone!) only to find the solution was never provided in the end.

15. tough joe

tough joe Member

Sep 16, 2006
    OMG this has happened again. Same exact problem. HBO channel 3 has been deleted by all 3 of my tivos because the "tivo has detected a change in my channel lineup". However HBO is still there - if I shut down my tivo (messages/settings/standby) I see HBO clear. So back to the processes above to start to fix this. I dont know why the Tivo unit does this - cant the tivo "detect" that the signal for channel 3 is still there and stop deleting the channel? Very frustrating.

This time this has happened to all 3 of my tivos - my two S2 and one TivoHD tivos.

Step 1 - run through channel set up on S2. Scan for channels on S3 done. not fixed.
    Step 2 - entered service numbers for both tivos on this site http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/211/c/123%2C124/r_id/100041
    Step 3 - wait 5-7 days and hope they fix it. Until then, if there is somethng on HBO I want to watch, i'll have to do it live. I'll back in a few days to follow up.

16. Leon WIlkinson

Leon WIlkinson TiVo Gone Wild

Feb 13, 2000
    TiVo Town
    Maybe your cable system is about to do line-up change it was pass on to TiVos provider.
    ee
    check your lineup here.Guide Lineup

17. tough joe

tough joe Member

Sep 16, 2006
    just called cabled company - no channel line up changes done/or in the planning stage. I'll just wait the 5-7 days for the reports to do their magic.

18. tough joe

tough joe Member

Sep 16, 2006
    Success - yesterday all 3 tivo's were updated and HBO was added to all 3 tivos. Looks like im good to go (until next year? )

19. tough joe

tough joe Member

Sep 16, 2006
    ARGH !!!! Once again, HBO has been deleted from all of my tivos. Will complete the form above to fix this. I think Im just going to have to live with this problem...

20. tough joe

tough joe Member

Sep 16, 2006
    4 days later... channel was added back to my 3 tivos. See you guys in 6 months (again).