HBO NOW works on Tivo via Amazon Video

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by jw15851, Aug 29, 2017.

1. jw15851

jw15851 New Member

Aug 2, 2002

Advertisements

HBO Go, requires that you have a cable subscription. HBO Now, is the equivalent streaming service that does not require cable. It "now" must be purchased through a 3rd party such as itunes, amazon, etc. Note that Tivo has a HBO Go app, but not HBO Now... so if you've cut the cord, what to do?

Use Amazon Video.
    I was able to sign up for HBO Now via Amazon, and instantly the HBO content was available via the Amazon app on my Tivo as though it were Amazon content. Works great and does not require a dedicated HBO app. Game of Thrones streaming on Tivo.

Hope that helps people out there.

giomania and TeamPace like this.
  2. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Are you talking about "Amazon Channels" where you can subscribe to HBO, Starz, etc on a monthly basis via Amazon Prime? If so then yes that's been available for quite a while now and working with Amazon TiVo client. I use it to subscribe once a month to HBO occasionally to binge watch Game of Thrones or other series, then unsubscribe until there is something good to watch again.

As a bonus, the video quality of Amazon streams is MUCH better than the crappy Cox quality for their linear channels.

3. NashGuy

NashGuy Well-Known Member

May 2, 2015
    Yeah, I've found that the HD video quality for Showtime is definitely better via Amazon than it is via Showtime's own apps (Showtime and Showtime Anytime). I'm sure the same is true for HBO, Starz and Cinemax, all of which are also available via Amazon Channels with Amazon Prime.

4. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Also, tons of the OLDER HBO stuff is already included with the regular Prime subscription.

5. BadMouth

BadMouth Member

Feb 29, 2016

Advertisements

Bit late, as the last episode of the season of GOT just aired.
    Episodes were available for streaming at the same time they aired. It worked great. In fact it was a much better experience than I had last year with HBO now.

6. Johncv

Johncv Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Chula Vista, CA
    Just a side note, the HBO stuff that come with Prime is going away sometime next year 2018. HBO canceled the contract with Amazon. The channel will remain.

mattack likes this.
  7. KingsFan6

KingsFan6 Member

Dec 31, 2015
    SF Bay Area
    Some observations I've made. PQ of HBO through Amazon or HBO Now seem to be the same, which is no surprise. What I've also noticed t

HBO through Amazon on the TiVo is great. I have an older soundbar that doesn't decode DD+, but when I play the HBO shows through the Amazon HBO app on the TiVo, the soundbar receives a standard DD signal for shows that are delivered in DD+. I take that to mean that the TiVo is transcoding DD+ to DD. However, when I watch on the Amazon app through Roku, which cannot transcode, I get just stereo.

8. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    You would think for such a popular show such as Game of Thrones, that TiVo would have season 7 showing as available from Amazon, but of course they still do not... Of course if you start the Amazon app you can find it yourself.

bradleys likes this.
  9. mrizzo80

mrizzo80 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2012
    I'm not positive, but I think HBO withholds shows from being purchased until the season is over. (Which it is, of course, for GoT, but it's only been a few days... which is usually the minimum lag time for TiVo's OTT database to reflect availability. Maybe it will show up in the next day or two?)

10. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Does anyone know how soon Amazon channel subscription content is available? For example for Game of Thrones airing on a Sunday night, is it available from Amazon channels that same night or is there some lag in availability? So far I've used it for past seasons of shows so don't know how soon content is made available.

11. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Thanks, bummer. I do subscribe to HBO on cable (actually "paying for it" instead of it supposedly being "free" in my old expired bundle, though John Oliver is about the only thing I record regularly -- though I just caught up within the past week.. I have been watching HBO movies On Demand though)... But anyway, I happened to start watching Newsroom BECAUSE of it being on Amazon Prime. (My regular headphones had busted so I had ones that were much quieter temporarily, and for some reason Amazon Prime has louder sound on at least some shows than the Tivo app -- so I could still watch TV at the gym.. and started watching Newsroom!)

I won't pay TWICE for HBO though.

12. BadMouth

BadMouth Member

Feb 29, 2016
    I commented above that the show is made available at the same time it airs live. It was for GOT anyway.

The amazon app on a few devices allows for streaming of the live HBO channel, but not TiVo. Being able to launch the show at the same time it airs was a better experience IMO.

When the first episode of this season aired, I had the live stream going on a PC until I saw if it worked on the TiVo. Shortly before the show started, I had it playing on both devices (including ads for other shows beforehand).

13. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    OK thanks, and I would assume it's available at first time zone airing, i.e. East Coast time?

14. NashGuy

NashGuy Well-Known Member

May 2, 2015
    Content from HBO, Showtime, etc. through Amazon Channels (add-ons to a Prime Video subscription) is typically available for on-demand streaming in the Amazon Video app at the same time that the show debuts on its respective live linear channel on cable. Exceptions are live shows (e.g. Politically Incorrect with Bill Mahr, boxing matches) and sometimes other shows that finish production only shortly before airing (e.g. The Circus). Those shows typically show up hours or even a day or two later in the Amazon Video app. I believe I've read where a few very certain programs in the past were available in HBO Go/HBO Now apps but now via Amazon Channels, although I'm not sure what they were or, frankly, if that's even true.

Multiple live linear HD channels from HBO (e.g. HBO, HBO2, HBO Family), Showtime, Starz and Cinemax can be streamed via Amazon Channels but only on supported devices. I believe the only TV-connected supported devices are Amazon Fire TV boxes and sticks. You can stream them on a computer using the Chrome or Firefox web browsers at amazon.com.

TiVo's OnePass database knows nothing about Amazon Channels. If you've added Showtime to your Amazon Prime subscription, yes, you can find and watch the same on-demand content inside the TiVo Amazon Video app that you can watch in the Showtime (OTT) or Showtime Anytime apps, including new stuff that just debuted, BUT TiVo's OnePass system will only be able to find that content IF it's also available from Amazon outside of the Amazon Channels feature (e.g. if it's available for rental or purchase or if it's also on Prime Video). Since it takes months after a new season of a premium series debuts before it becomes available for rental/purchase on Amazon, it likewise takes months before that season will show up as viewable through the Amazon app in TiVo's OnePass database.

moyekj likes this.
  15. Johncv

Johncv Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Chula Vista, CA
    Huh :confused: You can watch all the HBO stuff on HBO Go.

16. porges

porges Member

Feb 28, 2001
    I haven't verified this because I don't have HBO via Amazon, but if they make the entire program available at the correct start time, you can FF to the end and get an hour ahead of people on cable. If you want.

17. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Um, ok.

18. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    But then you won't know what happened at the beginning. ;)

19. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT

20. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    Gotta sell that blue ray and DVD before giving the show awsy