HBO Lady GaGa Presents the monster ball tour

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by TIVO_GUY_HERE, May 7, 2011.

1. May 7, 2011 #1 of 18
    TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    I see this is on tonight. I am not ever going to be in her audience, but will check it out. For me I guess it's more "lets see the shock value" of her show, but I do like a few of her songs.

2. May 7, 2011 #2 of 18
    sushikitten

sushikitten LivingLippy.com TCF Club

Jan 27, 2005
    Chicago-ish...
    I was hoping it was on network tv because I wanted to check it out.

3. May 7, 2011 #3 of 18
    MLR930

MLR930 Mandie

Dec 26, 2002
    Rhode Island
    I'm really enjoying it

4. May 8, 2011 #4 of 18
    Snappa77

Snappa77 RUDEBWOY

Feb 14, 2004
    BOSTON
    After losing a round of 'paper, rock, scissors' to my daughter I was subject to a day of listening to GaGa as we drove around doing a bunch of errands.

I have to admit I found that I like alot of her songs. (Katy Perry not so much).

I never disliked her but I can say I was in the "roll my eyes" at the mention of her name category.

I think she fits in well with that dance/club/pop style. The kid has talent. I am not shocked by her style cuz we seen it all with Madonna, Bjork and even Marilyn Manson.

How is she in concert?

5. May 8, 2011 #5 of 18
    drumorgan

drumorgan a "dry" funny

Jan 11, 2003
    America's...
    I caught a snippet of it. Very highly produced show. Looked good. Very different than the concerts I would tupically go to. More like a broadway production.

6. May 8, 2011 #6 of 18
    stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    I am watching this via HBO GO on my iPad and I must say she puts on a heck of a show. Very impressive and audience focused. I can see why she's popular.

7. May 9, 2011 #7 of 18
    Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    As long as my 11 year old daughter didn't want to watch, I passed :)

She's this year's big thing. Five years from now, as Billy Joel said, she'll be on the 21st Century version of the discount rack, like another can of beans :)

Her songs are typical techno pop that the singing is pretty much drowned out by excessive over produced noise. It's a shame, because according to the 60 Minutes profile, she really has some talent, but instead she's gone for shock value. Shock value RARELY makes for a long career (of course there are always exceptions).

8. May 9, 2011 #8 of 18
    MLR930

MLR930 Mandie

Dec 26, 2002
    Rhode Island
    Um not true she's been a big star for the past 3 or 4 years not just this year and she's done songs on the piano without techno noise. I had never heard of her when she opened for another artist at a concert I was at and I left there a fan.

9. May 9, 2011 #9 of 18
    sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    I was just happening by the other day and caught the second half of the show on HBO. I became mesmerized and stuck around to watch all that was left.

I do enjoy the sound of her music and the sound of her voice, but I find that all the songs I heard sounded pretty much the same. I liked how they showed a little of the 'behind the scenes' bits during scene/song/wardrobe changes.

10. Hoffer

Hoffer Eat Lightning ----- Poo Thunder TCF Club

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    I recorded the show to my DVR for some reason. I don't listen to a lot of music these days. I have heard a couple of her songs and I know she's a big deal. I figured I could spend 20 minutes fast forwarding thru the show and only watching the songs I recognize.

11. ahartman

ahartman Space for Rent

Dec 28, 2001
    Cleveland, OH
    If anyone doubts her ability to actually sing, watch thru the credits of the concert - they show her and her backup singers singing "Born This Way".

While I'm not a big fan, I did watch parts of the concert. It appeared to be a big, giant, well put on show - exactly what a concert should be for the prices people are paying these days.

12. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    I wish I had HBO. I'd love to see this. I like GaGa

13. xuxa

xuxa Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2001
    Here it is

14. zordude

zordude WDW Fan TCF Club

Sep 23, 2003
    Nashua, NH
    The singing parts were great. The scripted parts with Gaga and mohawk dude were pretty haltingly delivered and pretty painful.

15. Anthjo

Anthjo Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Billy Joel? Talk about no longer relevant. Amazingly talented musician, but hasn't released anything new for what.... 10-15 years? He's a touring act, if you can even call him that at this point....

GaGa also writes, arranges and composes all of her own music. She's also an Italian kid from New York....the difference being that no one cares when you're a guy who can play music. The standards are a little different for women. GaGa wasn't given the time of day when she was Stefani Germanotta, the non-descript ethnic looking chick with the big nose. The over the top persona was born out of necessity.....

GaGa ia a lot of things. UNtalented isn't one of them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3R3KqrJAI4

16. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    Er... whoosh :). That's not a quote from Billy Joel about Gaga. That's a line from one of his most famous songs, written before Gaga was even born.

I do disagree with Steveknj though. Shock value combined with talent quite often makes for a long career... or at least a famous and lasting legacy. What tends to happen is that the artist's behavior becomes less shocking as time goes on. Look at Madonna, for example: she was often controversial in her early career but today the stuff she did seems pretty tame.

Sure, if you have little talent and use shock tactics to hide it you won't go too far usually. But personally I don't think that's the case with Gaga.

17. MLR930

MLR930 Mandie

Dec 26, 2002
    Rhode Island
  18. Duffy Clan

Duffy Clan New Member

May 10, 2011
    ugh, she is going to haunt the music industry for years...