HBO go with Comcast

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by JNEggie, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Mar 2, 2016 #1 of 47
    JNEggie

JNEggie New Member

Oct 25, 2014
    Utah
    Hello,

I am wondering if anyone else is having issues getting HBOgo activated on their TiVo when they have Comcast service?

You have to go to http://www.hbogo.com/activate/ to activate the HBOgo app. Once you select the device (TiVo) you then have to select your service provider. In this case, Comcast is not listed. The website then states "If your TV provider is not listed, access to HBO GO on TiVo® is not offered as part of your HBO subscription. Contact your TV provider and ask for HBO GO on TiVo®."

Is there any word on when Comcast will let us use our HBOgo app on our TiVos?

2. Mar 2, 2016 #2 of 47
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    No word. Time Warner just started allowing TiVo this morning, without notice, so it could pop up any time. However Comcast allows you access to all the same content via their VOD app, so they have a lot less incentive then the other cable companies to enable HBOGo. And from what I've read they've taken longer to do it in the past for other devices.

3. Mar 2, 2016 #3 of 47
    JNEggie

JNEggie New Member

Oct 25, 2014
    Utah
    I had a feeling this was going to be the case. I just find it crazy that they allow me access to HBOgo from my iPhone and iPad..... but won't from my TiVO.....

Go figure....

4. Mar 3, 2016 #4 of 47
    consumedsoul

consumedsoul Member

Jan 13, 2013
    Comcast authentication is so bizarre. I have a Nvidia Shield TV and most of the network apps don't have authentication available w/ Comcast, yet Apple TV does...

5. Mar 3, 2016 #5 of 47
    leswar

leswar leswar

Apr 14, 2005
    Vero Beach
    So if you access a HBO program via the HBO Go app instead of XOD I'm
    guessing that's going to count as part of your data usage.

I'm guessing the XOD TiVo interface i.e. FF, RFF, 8 sec back, skip to tick, skip to end*
    is still better than the usual other interfaces.

[*Sometimes if a TiVo recorded show cuts off the last crucial 15 seconds, I'll use XOD and the skip to end to recapture those last seconds. Works instantly.]

6. Mar 3, 2016 #6 of 47
    slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    HBO's complete catalog is available on XOD, it just sucks balls to use that interface. But of course you can just search for what you want and get to it that way without wading through the menus.

7. Mar 3, 2016 #7 of 47
    sar840t2

sar840t2 Member

Mar 1, 2003
    Edmonds,...
    I'm not convinced that's totally accurate - I couldn't find The Leftovers season 1 on XOD, and since Comcast won't let me use HBO GO on my Roamio Pro I had to resort to watching them via the HBO GO website.

8. Mar 4, 2016 #8 of 47
    patrickthickey

patrickthickey New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    Comcast has less than a great feeling for Tivo, since the beginning. So this doesn't surprise me in the least.

Cord cutting is all they fear, and a multi media box like the Tivo is the enemy.

9. Mar 4, 2016 #9 of 47
    Chuck_IV

Chuck_IV Active Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Connecticut
    I'm not sure about that. I mean they are one of just a few that actually bothered to create a VOD app for Tivo. That should say something.

I just think they are lazy and it's at the bottom of their priority list.

10. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Actually, Comcast was using TiVo for a Dvr a while back in test markets. So, their relationship has been quite good.

11. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    That's strange, I just browsed to the Premium Channels->HBO On Demand->HBO HD->HBO Series menu and found that show with both seasons, all episodes.

Every show I've ever looked for has been available on HBO with XOD, even old stuff like Oz.

12. JolDC

JolDC Active Member

Dec 21, 2001
    Arlington VA

Same here in Comcast in Virginia. OnePass, however, links to a pay version but launching the XOD app and drilling down found the included with subscription version.

13. sar840t2

sar840t2 Member

Mar 1, 2003
    Edmonds,...
    Interesting, thanks. Maybe I didn't drill down the right path.

14. dswallow

dswallow Save the Moderatоr TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    FYI I had expressed my desire for HBO Go authenticatation to @ComcastCares and received this reply:

ComcastCares ‏@comcastcares Mar 2
    @dswallow There are no plans for supporting HBO Go on TiVo at this time. We apologize for any inconvenience. -Ken

I would encourage folks to publicly call them out on this and ask for support. I do wish we had some real knowledge about what exactly it entails for the providers to offer this authentication and why it isn't purely automatic across all supported devices once the provider participates at all.

15. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    I also fail to understand why it would be supported on one device (e.g. Roku) and not others, given that the authentication *should* be device-independent. I think the app is authenticating with Comcast via HBO, in other words, not directly from it to Comcast.

Even more of a head-scratcher when it merely replaces HBO on XOD, and that it would add more to your cap usage (if you're capped) and thereby potentially make more money on data use overages for Comcast.

16. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Comcast tends to not approve devices for apparent business reasons. The relationship they have with the company seems to be the ultimate factor. It certainly isn't a technical reason.

17. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    I would also suggest everyone file an FCC complaint about it. Comcast has been pulling this same BS forever with HBOGo. It took them forever to allow authentication of the Roku app.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
  18. merccat

merccat New Member

Sep 5, 2015
    Emotional roller coaster here... I was so elated to see HBO Go come to my Roamio, only to have all my hopes and dreams crushed by Comcast mere minutes later. Now im back in a deep depression, thanks Comcast. 😜

For me its not just that the XOD comcast app is fugly.. Its un usabale... Every single time I want to watch somehing on it, I have to go to the other room, unplug the roamio wait 10 seconds and plug it back in... Every time! Otherwise i get some service provider error... Common comcast!

19. merccat

merccat New Member

Sep 5, 2015
    And now moving onto acceptance...

Maybe this means the HBONow app is not far behind and I can give my money directly to HBO instead of comcast soon enough.

20. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    They're working with Tivo for a new IP access standard to Comcast programming, so they must have a decent relationship (and of course they came up with XOD in the first place).

If it's a business reason, it's certainly one that's unfathomable to me.