HBO GO vs. Xfinity On Demand

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by gweempose, Apr 1, 2014.

1. Apr 1, 2014 #1 of 14
    gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 23, 2003
    Chicago, IL

Advertisements

I streamed my first episode of Game of Thrones through the TiVo last night. Prior to this, I had watched all the episodes via HBO GO on my Roku. I was surprised to see that the Xfinity version had a "Previously on Game of Thrones" segment at the beginning. This is not the case with the HBO GO version, but I assume it is included when the show airs live each week. Given all the stuff going on in this show, the recap definitely comes in handy. Interestingly, Xfinity inserted a commercial for "Silicon Valley" at the beginning. I was able to fast forward through it, however, so it was no big deal.

As for the picture quality, they both look good, but I think the HBO GO version may be a bit sharper. I'm not sure which I prefer at this point, but it's always nice to have choices. :)

2. Apr 1, 2014 #2 of 14
    DUDE_NJX

DUDE_NJX Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2003
    HBO GO pushed a SV trailer before a show for me, too. I wish the HBO GO app had live streaming of at least the main HBO channel.

3. Apr 1, 2014 #3 of 14
    TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    The lack of a "previously on" is something I've noticed too as I switch between VOD and Apple TV + HBO Go when watching other shows on HBO. Kind of weird.

4. Apr 1, 2014 #4 of 14
    midas

midas I heard that

Jun 1, 2000
    Montgomery,...
    I always hate the 'previously on'. There may be a character you haven't seen for 3 or 4 episodes, but they always telegraph that they'll make an appearance by showing something in the 'previously on'. Even fast forwarding through them doesn't solve the problem.

5. Apr 1, 2014 #5 of 14
    gweempose

Mar 23, 2003
    Chicago, IL

Advertisements

I just streamed a second episode of GoT via the TiVo, and this time there wasn't an ad for "Silicon Valley". In fact, there wasn't any ad at all. It went straight to "Previously on ..." I wish you could use 30 second skip. I pressed the button, and it jumped all the way to the end. D'oh! At least it allowed me to fast forward though GoT. This was not the case with Cosmos.

6. Apr 1, 2014 #6 of 14
    mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Streamed from where?

On Demand is NOT streaming, it is exactly the same as any other cable channel.. they just 'make' the cable channel for you then and there..

7. Apr 1, 2014 #7 of 14
    gweempose

Mar 23, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    It may not be internet IP based, but VOD is still a form of streaming. Regardless, I only said "streamed" in order to indicate that I was watching the show via an external feed as opposed to my TiVo's hard drive.

8. Apr 1, 2014 #8 of 14
    mattack

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    No, VOD IS NOT STREAMING IN ANY SENSE OF THE WORD AT ALL.

If VOD is "streaming", then watching EVERY SINGLE CHANNEL on your TV or Tivo is streaming too, because that's EXACTLY the same.

9. Apr 1, 2014 #9 of 14
    gweempose

Mar 23, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks for educating all of us.

10. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Directv on demand doesn't show either. Fios has the Silicon Valley promo and the previously.

11. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    My HBO VOD is definitely streaming. I have DirecTV. It slowly fills a buffer while you are watching. You can only fast-forward to the end of the buffer.

12. mattack

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    OK, I was assuming this was talking about on a TiVo. Can the HD DirecTivos do On Demand? If so, then I guess I'm wrong.

I'm right regarding *On Demand* (not HBO On Demand) from Comcast on a Tivo.

13. Tanquen

Tanquen Member

Jun 1, 2002
    Napa, CA
    You can pause and FF and RW EVERY SINGLE CHANNEL on your TV without a local DVR? I did not know that. It is all total a digital stream (a digital file piecemeal) in every sense of the words. They just give you one channel that you can control what that stream is and start it and stop it and FF and RW. All the other channels are still digital streams they are just sent out at the same time as is to everyone on the same system as you.

14. mattack

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    No, it is NOT a digital channel, other than the fact that it is digital as in HDTV..

It is literally a "TV channel" exactly the same as anything else you see via your TV or Tivo tuner...