HBO GO Free streaming

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by uj80s, Apr 4, 2020.

1. Apr 4, 2020 #1 of 17
    uj80s

uj80s New Member

Feb 13, 2019
    TiVo's HBO GO app doesn't have the 'free streaming" line as announced by HBO. WHY?

2. Apr 4, 2020 #2 of 17
    Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Hmm, it hadn't occurred to me to try that--thanks for mentioning it! Instead, yesterday, I had pulled the HBONow website up on a browser on my PC, chose one of the free shows, switched to fullscreen mode, and projected that to my home-network-connected TV. (There were some glitches in getting the show to play, on HBO's end--I had to try multiple times.)

edit: I tried it just now on my TiVo box with the HBOGo app, and while the app came up and allowed me to navigate to what was supposed to be a free show, the app then asked me to "activate" to watch the show--fearful that this could end up leading to a charge, I didn't pursue that angle further.* This is the same scenario that I found with HBOGo on my Roku device yesterday--this seems to be an HBO matter, not something unique to TiVo and the app there.

* However, for all I know, clicking the activate button could have been an innocuous step, with no charge--I just didn't know what would happen and didn't want to chance it. If someone else does, let us know the result! :)

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
  3. Apr 5, 2020 #3 of 17
    uj80s

uj80s New Member

Feb 13, 2019
    There would be no charge for HBOGo if you already subscribe to HBO from your cable provider. But for those that do not subscribe to HBO the the "Go" free streaming programs as of now are free if you only watch on your phone app. I just wished TiVo's app would have that same capability. It appears not.

4. Apr 7, 2020 #4 of 17
    Phantom Gremlin

Phantom Gremlin Active Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Tualatin,...
    HBO Go is for people who get HBO from their cable provider.

HBO Now is for people who want to view HBO content but don't subscribe to HBO via a cable provider.

The sad sad sad thing is some marketing moron thought that naming scheme made sense.

HBO Go - Wikipedia
    HBO Now - Wikipedia

Unlike HBO Go, HBO's online video on demand service for existing subscribers of the linear television channel, HBO Now is available as a standalone service and does not require a television subscription to use, targeting cord cutters who use competing services such as Netflix and Hulu.

I just now browsed to hbonow.com and at the very top there are some free shows. The title is: STREAM FOR FREE: NO SUBSCRIPTION REQUIRED

5. Apr 7, 2020 #5 of 17
    NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    if you have xfinity on demand, it's recognizing the free hbo shows on x1 and through xfinity stream.

6. Apr 8, 2020 #6 of 17
    headless chicken

headless chicken Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Because TiVo has become worthless.

7. Apr 8, 2020 #7 of 17
    MBfromMI

MBfromMI Member

Apr 13, 2004
    SE Michigan
    Seems to work for me? I’m watching Barry right now on my Roamio ota. No activation.

Mikeguy likes this.
  8. Apr 9, 2020 #8 of 17
    NorthAlabama

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    same here, watching the sopranos on a pxl...

9. pspens

pspens Member

Jan 20, 2013
    I'm having trouble activating HBOGo. I keep getting the message that 'device is not supported' no matter which device I use (e.g., Ipod, Android phone, etc). When I go to HBOGo on the Tivo I get a 6-digit code which is supposed to be entered at the hbogo.com/tvactivate site. This has worked in the past using my Ipod, but is not working now. Any ideas?

10. NorthAlabama

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    i didn't activate anything, i just launched the app, picked one of the free shows, and started watching.

11. pspens

pspens Member

Jan 20, 2013
    Yes, you're speaking of HBO Now? I have HBO and got the HBOGo app on my Tivo some time ago. This requires logging in and sometimes "activating" the device. I've had to activate the device more than once. I guess the activation times out or something if you don't use it regularly which obviously I don't. I've had problems with this activation from the get-go. You're supposed to be able to use a browser on your computer but you get the 'device not supported' message there and the only device I found that worked was the IPod. Now it too gets the 'device not supported' message.

12. NorthAlabama

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    i'm using the app in tivo, through a browser, and on an android tablet and phone.

13. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Are you using Comcast? Comcast had "blocked" activation of HBO Go on TiVo but someone found that if you kept refreshing it and reselecting Comcast I believe that it would go through. There's another thread here on this that you should find.

Adding HBO Go app to your Xfinity/Comcast with Tivo

Scott

Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
    Mikeguy likes this.
  14. pspens

pspens Member

Jan 20, 2013
    I forgot to mention that my cable company is Comcast (Xfinity) and I'm using a Premier 4. I don't know who is causing the problem, Tivo or Comcast.

15. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Did you miss my post right before yours? ;)

Scott

Mikeguy likes this.
  16. pspens

pspens Member

Jan 20, 2013
    I did, thanks.

17. pspens

pspens Member

Jan 20, 2013
    Thank you so much. This worked! Amazing!

HerronScott likes this.