HBO GO app not usable for Time Warner subscribers?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by irisr, Feb 21, 2016.

1. irisr

irisr Member

Jun 29, 2015
    Does anyone have any info on this? Very disappointed that I can't activate HBO Go on my Tivo because of Time Warner.

2. NashGuy

NashGuy Well-Known Member

May 2, 2015
    That's correct, Time Warner Cable isn't allowing it, for now at least. I've read no reports that suggest TWC may soon allow it, either. Your best hope is that TWC ends up being acquired by Charter, a deal that's well underway and will likely close in June after regulatory review. Since Charter DOES allow HBO GO on TiVo, you should be good once your cable account transitions from TWC to Charter later this year (assuming that the deal goes through).

3. irisr

irisr Member

Jun 29, 2015
    Thanks for your reply, but I think a Charter merger would be a disaster. (If an elephant fell on my house, I'd probably forget my broken toe).

Those who are TWC customers, here's where to write. It took ma about 15 minutes to file all 3 complaints.

FCC complaint: https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=33794

Executive level TWC customer complaint: http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/our-company/leadership/overview/john-keib/contact.html

Standard TWC complaint: http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/support/channel-feedback.html

4. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    I wouldn't be that optimistic about a Charter acquisition helping. Just ask the areas that were acquired by Charter that had NBA TV. Plus, it could be a year or two before they even begin merging the systems. The best bet is for TWC to approve the device. It isn't unusual for TWC or Comcast to take their sweet time.

5. jelwell

jelwell Member

Jun 7, 2001
    San Diego,...
    DirectTV, Comcast, AT&T UVerse - all not supported (amongst others). So I suspect/hope that some providers are still going to come around.
    Joseph Elwell

6. NashGuy

May 2, 2015
    NBA TV is a cable channel. Cable channel line-ups can and do differ from area to area within the same cable co. But authentication for apps like HBO GO are across a cable company's entire customer base nationwide. You may be right that it will be quite some time before the TWC brand goes away and those customers are merged into the Charter system. But once that happens, they'll have the same access to apps that any other Charter customer has.

7. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    DirecTV and AT&T Uverse don't work with TiVo anyway, so there is really no reason for them to approve the TiVo as supported device.

Comcast and TWC are the only cable companies that actually support TiVo but have not approved the app. Unfortunately those two companies alone make up about 60% of all cable subscribers, so this likely effects a large portion of TiVo customers.

8. cedartec_guy

cedartec_guy New Member

Dec 7, 2013
    Not True, DIRECTV has approved HBOGO for Diirecttv@puerto Rico TiVo customers so I am hoping that HBOGO will soon be available for US Customers on Tivo Devices.

9. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    If it were only that easy. It took Charter 2 years to merge Optimum West customers into their system. You think it will be faster with TWC and their huge customer base? I think you are assuming just because they merge that they will merge their authentication systems. That is highly doubtful for quite some time. I doubt the TiVo Bolt will even be sold anymore by the time that happens.

10. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Directv PR is a different company than Directv. The Puerto Rico version approving the device doesn't really mean Directv will anytime soon.

11. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    No reason they should have. Perhaps they just have a blanket order with HBOGo to approve all devices, I'm not sure. But since TiVo doesn't work with DirecTV, even in PR, there is absolutely no reason for them to approve TiVo as a usable device. Maybe they will, just because, but if they don't it will make just as much sense since they don't actually support TiVo.

12. NashGuy

May 2, 2015
    Yes. You didn't disagree with anything I said. I have no idea how long it will take their systems to merge, although they will at some point if the deal closes.

At any rate, I really don't care about TWC or Charter. I live in Comcast/AT&T/Google Fiber country. Good luck!

13. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    I'm confused as to why you said the original poster's best hope was the TWC/Charter merger? I don't see how that would be anyone's best hope. The best hope is TWC approves HBO Go on the TiVo platform. The merger will likely have little to do with using the app any time soon.

14. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Perhaps he was inferring that the merger would change TWC over to Charter's more favorable policies on stuff like this? Even if they don't merge the systems right away, I assume Charter will still try to get TWC to adopt it's policies on things like this and perhaps the CCI byte as well.

15. NashGuy

May 2, 2015
    I see your point. Maybe I should have said "your surest hope" is the merger. Yes, your best-case scenario is that TWC approves HBO GO on TiVo tomorrow. But I feel like I've read other TWC customers say that the company is slow to move on stuff like this. And my guess (maybe incorrect) is that TWC will hold off on any decisions like this until after the merger is either approved or killed this spring. I don't see the FCC killing this merger.

So, barring any decision by TWC in the near-term to approve HBO GO on TiVo, the most likely reason to believe it will eventually be approved is that Charter swallows TWC.

16. irisr

irisr Member

Jun 29, 2015
    Received a call from TWC Executive level support. No date for HBO GO, but she said it "might happen soon" and that TWC is receiving complaints about the failure to provide authorization for this app. Keep those calls and emails coming! Good work!

17. supersportsfan

supersportsfan New Member

Sep 15, 2005
    I filled out the form that you posted and got a phone call from some useless low level TWC rep who tried to tell me to log in to it via a computer or ipad and I could use HBO Go. I explained to him that it wasn't the point, that I wanted to use my Tivo to watch the service that I pay for and should have access to. He went around in circles (you could tell he didn't at ALL understand what the point of it was) and then suggested that I call Tivo to figure out why I can't log in.

Stupid corporate BS that doesn't just give us access to what we pay for on any device that is capable pisses me off. I hate the way big business works. /end rant

18. tampa8

tampa8 Official Tivo User

Jan 25, 2016
    Ct & FL
    For TWC subscribers I hope that is the case, I don't believe things like this till they actually happen. They will tell you what you want to hear to keep everyone appeased for awhile. It is often things like this wouldn't happen till the next contract. Maybe there is a new HBO contract coming... It can only help the more who call to complain..

19. jamesteixeira

jamesteixeira Member

Nov 22, 2014
    Round Rock TX
    Time Warner Cable is now listed in the provider list for HBOGo on TIVO. I haven't been able to check it out yet but at least there has been some movement.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
  20. jamesteixeira

jamesteixeira Member

Nov 22, 2014
    Round Rock TX
    I entered the activation code but it said "Your affiliate does not support this device". It's a first step, maybe it will happen soon.