HBO Boxing... finally a GREAT fight. Taylor vs. Pavlik

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by genearch, Sep 30, 2007.

1. genearch

genearch Community Organizer

Nov 29, 2000
    Kalamazoo

Advertisements

No spoilers here, but by far one of the best fights on HBO in a long time. :up: :up: :up:

Wow... just wow.... :up:

Watch the replay tomorrow, it's worth it!

2. Philosofy

Philosofy Super Duper Member

Feb 21, 2000
    Valparaiso,...
    I haven't watched boxing since MMA hit the big time. Too boring, not enough ways to win.

3. ahartman

ahartman Space for Rent

Dec 28, 2001
    Cleveland, OH
    I agree - it's been a long time since there's been a fight worth watching on HBO/Showtime (save the PPV reruns a week later, and even those have been underwhelming lately).

4. bareyb

bareyb Under Maintenance TCF Club

Dec 1, 2000
    Silicon Valley
    I caught the last four rounds and yeah, for a boxing match it was well above average. Good fight.
    Nice to see a white dude win for a change, but not exciting enough to make me want to start watching boxing again.
    MMA has spoiled me I'm afraid. :eek:

5. northmoor

northmoor New Member

Feb 9, 2005

Advertisements

yup, this one was a really good one. I had expected it to be good, though. I saw Pavlik fight earlier this year against Edison Miranda. After seeing that fight, I think it's pretty safe to say that any fight that Kelly Pavlik is in is likely to be a good fight.

The pre-fight hype on this ("Countdown to Taylor-Pavlik" on HBO last week) made me think this was a real life "Rocky" story. The similarities are striking. Great fight.

6. markymark_ctown

markymark_ctown Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2004
    C-Town
    finally caught this fight on HD - good battle! buckeyes vs. razorbacks. :)

pavlik has been getting a lot of press around here considering he's from ytown. local boy done good!

7. Oct 1, 2007 #7 of 12
    TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    Quite a good fight. It has been a while since we saw a good fight between two good fighters. Usually it's either a good fight between mediocre fighters or a one-sided fight between good fighters.

I love watching MMA, but a nice, long boxing match has something to it that MMA still hasn't gotten yet.

8. Oct 1, 2007 #8 of 12
    Fl_Gulfer

Fl_Gulfer Tivo's R Us

May 27, 2005
    Fl.Gulf
    Yep I't was a great fight, thought it was over early,.

9. Oct 1, 2007 #9 of 12
    Legion

Legion Member

Aug 24, 2005
    Very good fight. I love the middleweights as they usually give you action like that. I like both fighters and wasnt sure who I was pulling for. But as the action in the second concluded, I made up my mind.

10. ClutchBrake

ClutchBrake Pass the gravy!

Sep 5, 2001
    Orange...
    Amen. There are too many fixed fights in boxing and the fights are just too limited. Though I do watch Jermain since he is the hometown boy.

I knew
    Jermain was going to lose coming in, unfortunately. Jermain has looked terrible in his last few fights. He put up a much better fight than I thought he would though. Had he not punched himself out in the second I wonder if he might have lasted the fight. I can't believe Jermain was ahead on the scorecards. Of course neither could Jermain or Pavlik. I have high hopes for Jermain now that he has a loss on his record.

11. CTLesq

CTLesq Active Member

Jan 19, 2003
    SF Bay
    I agree - tremendous fight.

12. UTV2TiVo

UTV2TiVo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Sacramento...
    Uh... Boredom?

Sorry, couldn't resist. I was never a huge boxing fan but since I was introduced to MMA a few years ago I haven't even thought about boxing.
    MMA matches can be boring as well but the frequency is much lower than in boxing.