Hay Apple!?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by Muttley1900, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Feb 5, 2011 #1 of 56
    Muttley1900

Muttley1900 Member

Dec 22, 2008

Advertisements

As the annoying orange would say on YouTube.

I have a S1, and love it. It would have been nice if I was in a VM cabled area so I could get the new VMTivo, but I’m not and even I draw the line at buying another house in a VM cabled area to get one (can just see the fun on the forum trying to work out if the VM Tivo box costs me £3 a month or £1054 a month taking into account the mortgage, TV package and the tivo costs). I digress.

Anyway, my Tivo is hooked up to a digibox (don’t have satellite TV, not a great Murdoch fan) and the TV has it’s own freeview tuner too, so all is fine for watching / recording of freeview channels.

So now I’m thinking, that what I would like is to be able to rent films from my armchair and have them stream / download to watch.

Being a bit of an Apple fan, after getting an iPod all those years ago and now even having an iPhone I’ve started looking at the Apple TV, which I think does what I want.

I can hire/buy films direct through it or through iTunes do the same or get TV shows, and there is even some limited internet use (YouTube?). Can hook it up to my iTunes library and play the music on that through the Tv and I even believe if I have dvds that I have transferred onto my pc I can watch them on the TV.

I don’t think it offers any catch-up TV (4OD or iPlayer), but there is some chatter on the apple forums that this may be on it’s way in the UK.

£101, seems an okay price and as there is no subscription, even better if I don’ use it from one week to the next.

Has anyone here had any experience of using one, and if so what do you think? And if you have alternative suggestions for “products” I should take a looksee at, please suggest away.

Ta,

J.

2. Feb 5, 2011 #2 of 56
    Automan

Automan Ex TiVo User

Oct 29, 2000
    South...
    Make sure the programs you want are on offer to UK Apple customers and of course it is not TrueHD picture (720p I Think).

Plus of course it has no storage so to watch any purchased items your computer also will have to be on.

Lastly, it will only play other video files that iTunes handle.

Automan.

3. Feb 5, 2011 #3 of 56
    mikerr

mikerr TiVoCentral.co.uk

Jun 2, 2005
    Lancashire, UK
    The older hard drive based appleTV is a much better and more powerful unit IMO
    You can get them for around £150 and can be hacked to play divx iplayer etc

4. Feb 5, 2011 #4 of 56
    TIVO_YORK99

TIVO_YORK99 Member

Feb 14, 2001
    York
    The ATV 1 is certainly not more powerful than the ATV 2. I've got both, and the only real difference is the fact that the ATV 2 is tiny as it doesn't have a hard drive like the ATV 1.

The ATV 2 can be jailbroken (untethered now) as it runs iOS like iPhone's and iPad's etc. XBMC can now be installed on it (www.xbmc.org) and you can therefore run BBC iPlayer, ITV player within it etc. It's a great little box, and available for only £91 on Amazon - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Apple-MC572B-A-New-TV/dp/B0040GIZUC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296897943&sr=8-1.

Of course, if you don't want to jailbreak it, like you say, you can hire movies etc. and that side does work out well (though, as has been said they are 720p if that makes a difference for you).

Feel free to ask anything you want me to check on it for you.

5. Feb 5, 2011 #5 of 56
    RWILTS

RWILTS New Member

Apr 21, 2006
    Cardiff

Advertisements

I also have both original apple tv and the new one. The original is 'modified' and attached to a 500 gig HD and has all my iTunes media copied to it. The New one is stock and has to stream all content to it from computer. Hand on heart I am struggling to say the new one is better. Its reliance on your computer being on and having to have a good network connection to stream anything just is not an improvement on the original design.

6. Feb 5, 2011 #6 of 56
    djqster

djqster New Member

Oct 22, 2010
    An alternative to Apple TV would be a Boxee Box. It will play every kind of video so long as it's not DRM'd. There's a ton of free content scraped from the web. iPlayer, 4OD See Saw etc.
    It'll play content from a NAS drive or a USB drive plugged into the back.
    Price right now is about £185 which is quite a lot for a diskless device but at least you can try before you buy by downloading the Boxee software for your PC http://www.boxee.tv/make

7. Feb 5, 2011 #7 of 56
    TCM2007

TCM2007 Active Member

Dec 25, 2006
    A PS3 works pretty well too.

8. Feb 5, 2011 #8 of 56
    TIVO_YORK99

TIVO_YORK99 Member

Feb 14, 2001
    York
    I do see your point.

I have Cat5 all around the house, and XBMC in every room connected to a Windows Home Server so I stream everything and never use hard drives on any of them. The ATV 2 is very useful for that as its so tiny, and plays every type of files I've got (should point out I only ever have SD files, I don't bother with HD - before anyone says anthing, this is purely because of a space issue. I don't think HD is worth double the space used).

9. Feb 7, 2011 #9 of 56
    AMc

AMc Active Member

Mar 22, 2002
    East of England
    You get iPlayer, 4OD and ITVPlayer + lovefilm offers a streaming service in addition to a disc rental subscription and Sony have their own movie rental service.

There's quite a lot there, at the moment I mainly use mine for games and the odd iPlayer catchup when I've missed something or there was a clash I couldn't resolve.

On the other hand you have to deal with the Sony software updates to try and beat their hackers and you'll need to work out a controller/remote compromise that suits you.

10. Automan

Automan Ex TiVo User

Oct 29, 2000
    South...
  11. Muttley1900

Muttley1900 Member

Dec 22, 2008
    Thanks for all your help and advice. I've opted for the apple tv for now (via amazon) and will see what future developments come out of apple, or go for the 'jailbreak' option once watching iplayer etc becomes important to me.

J.

12. mikerr

mikerr TiVoCentral.co.uk

Jun 2, 2005
    Lancashire, UK
    Welll the reason I said that is:

You can't attach an external drive to ATV2 (and never will - it doesn't have a USB host interface), so its reliant on streaming from another computer.

The ATV1 can be used standalone with its 160GB internal drive, and also can use external USB HDDs.

13. kitschcamp

kitschcamp Tweaked and poked

May 18, 2001
    Adelaide,...
    oo, I have both an ATV 1 and recently a 2. Didn't know the jailbreak for the two was now untethered, and the xbmc idea sounds interesting. I shall have to investigate!

14. TIVO_YORK99

TIVO_YORK99 Member

Feb 14, 2001
    York
    Unfortunately the jailbreak by Greenpois0n didn't fully support the Apple TV 2.

However, they've said the next release (RC6) will support it and that will be out "soon".

15. TIVO_YORK99

TIVO_YORK99 Member

Feb 14, 2001
    York
    Greenpois0n RC6 is now out.

I'm downloading it now, I'll post back with the results.

16. Muttley1900

Muttley1900 Member

Dec 22, 2008
    Great stuff, thank you.

J.

17. TIVO_YORK99

TIVO_YORK99 Member

Feb 14, 2001
    York
    Update :

As I had already jailbroken my ATV2, I restored it to factory defaults.

I ran ATV2, at the beginning it asks if you are updating an ATV2, I answered yes (it warns to wait 40 seconds after the tool reports jailbreak complete before you remove the usb).

I followed the instructions (when to insert the USB, then the power etc.)

Once jailbroken, I waited 40 seconds (apparantly this is important). I unplugged the USB, inserted the HDMI and waited. This took an awfully long time (about 5 minutes) but finally the Apple logo appeared and it booted to the main menu.

I then choose - Greenpois0n then Inject. This rebooted the ATV2, when it re-booted, NITO TV was there.

I went into NITO and choose SOFTWARE. XBMC is in there, it installed it and XBMC appeared.

It really was a very simple jailbreak - just like doing an iPhone with Greenpois0n.

18. Muttley1900

Muttley1900 Member

Dec 22, 2008
    Thanks for the update. Unfortunately for me it just doesn't work - followed the onscreen instructions (plug in usb, plug in power, press and hold menu/play and release buttons) but then just says "try again".

I double checked my atv2, for the software version it is using - apple says it is up to date, but on the "about" page it says it is 4.1.1 - so looking at the instructions for this jailbreak it says it is for 4.2.1 - oh well I'll have to wait...

J.

19. sculptor

sculptor sculptor

Jan 7, 2003
    London
    I have an jailbroken Apple TV 1 which I connect external hard drives to.

Before apple tv I had the WDTV live which lets you connect to your network drives, youtube and connect 2 external hard drives at the same time.
    This box can output in composite and component so can be connected to old CRT televisions which don't have HDMI or component inputs.

This is handy in that you can take the box and your hard drive with you to friends and family who may have older equipment not capable of playing divx or avi.

20. TIVO_YORK99

TIVO_YORK99 Member

Feb 14, 2001
    York
    Hi Muttley,

Sorry, only just seen your reply.

Apple TV 4.1.1 is actually 4.2.1 (no idea why). When you plug in the USB and the power, and then press and hold menu/play - watch the light on the front of the ATV. When it starts to blink very quickly let go of menu/play. You should hear the boop boop on your computer and it should then allow you to jailbreak. The boop boop is the important part - if you hear that after it says failed/try again, press try again and it should automatically go into into the jailbreak ready mode (it means you are in DFU mode on the apple).