Hawaii Five-O

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Rob Dawn, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Rob Dawn

Rob Dawn Member

Aug 16, 2002
    Colorado...

Advertisements

My wife and I wonder why Steve McGarret occasionally wears his white Navy uniform. We assume he is retired from the Navy so why still wear the uniform? Also, his girlfriend never wears her uniform now that she is retired.

Anyone know?

2. pendragn

pendragn Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2001
    Ames Iowa
    I think he's still active Navy, he's just attached to the 5-0 task force. The military lends active duty personnel to civilian law enforcement all the time. I was one for eight months.

tk

3. tiassa

tiassa Me --Avatar

Jul 2, 2008
    I was going to go the other way, although pendragn is a much better source than I. I figure that he chooses to wear his dress whites in situations where he can (like the Pearl Harbor Memorial service in the most recent episode), but that he would be just as appropriate in a jacket and tie. My understanding is that honorably discharged servicemen (and women) can wear dress uniforms during "formal" military ceremonies.

4. andyw715

andyw715 Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2007
    Cause he's 5-oh. They can do anything.

5. kaszeta

kaszeta $nullstring TCF Club

Jun 11, 2004
    Grantham, NH

Advertisements

He's a reservist, not retired.

6. pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    I have also found it strange that Steve does seem to always wear his dresses and she never does. I guess it makes sense now.

7. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    The real reason is because Michelle Borth looks better out of uniform.

8. pendragn

Jan 21, 2001
    Ames Iowa
    After I thought about this our situations were a little different, besides of course mine being real and his being fake. :)

I was a member of the Army National Guard that was put on active duty to augment civilian law enforcement. However, because of Posse Comitatus and because of wanting to avoid another Kent State type situation I was not allowed to carry a firearm. My duties were restricted to technical things. I couldn't arrest anybody, for instance.

So I couldn't do the things that McGarrett does. Though neither could he in real life. :)

tk

9. DouglasPHill

DouglasPHill Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2005
    St Louis, MO
    Michelle Borth looks better out of everything..:eek:

10. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles

I believe that kaszeta is correct though when he says that McGarrett moved to reserve status when he accepted the Governor's offer so he's not on an official Navy assignment.
    And the Governor deputized him so he has law enforcement powers.

Doesn't explain why half the non Military types refer to him as "Commander" though.

11. Doggie Bear

Doggie Bear Member

Jan 16, 2008
    Pacific...
    The Posse Comitatus Act barred you from enforcing civilian law, which is why you couldn't make arrests or execute search warrants. But not letting you carry a firearm seems a bit of a reach. We can certainly think of reasons you might have needed a gun that have nothing to do with enforcing the law -- self-defense, for instance. No doubt it was seen as prudential....

12. pendragn

Jan 21, 2001
    Ames Iowa
    That's the "Kent State" part of my explanation. The military doesn't want the "Active duty soldier kills American citizen" headline again.

tk

13. Hot4Bo

Hot4Bo Finally an Avatar! TCF Club

Apr 3, 2003
    South Florida
    I don't even care why he wears his dress uniform. He just looks fantastic in it (although everything he wears and doesn't wear look fantastic too LOL). He is one seriously good-looking guy.

14. Unbeliever

Unbeliever Random Nobody

Feb 3, 2001
    Nowhere Special
    I'd imagine it was only the "Kent State" scenario. If you were called up by the State Governor, Posse Comitatus does not apply to you. If you were called up by the President and Federalized, Posse Comitatus does apply.

Since you were backing up civilian LE, then likely you were called up by the Governor.

--Carlos V.

15. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Since this seems to be a generic H50 topic, anyone know the deal with why Grace Park has barely been on the show this season?

16. jamesl

jamesl Active Member

Jul 12, 2012
  17. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Thanks

18. laria

laria Librocubicularist

Sep 7, 2000
    Seacoast, NH
    Whenever an actress is barely shown and/or only shot in camera angles from the chest up, you are pretty much guaranteed she is pregnant. :)

19. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I guess that also answers the question of why Marshall has barely been in this season of HIMYM---he's pregnant...

20. Howie

Howie Out of Pocket TCF Club

May 3, 2004
    San Antonio
    I was wondering what the deal was, but that never occurred to me. I know that Sarah Shahi was pregnant during the filming of the 2nd season of Life. She couldn't really give herself to the project, and that basically killed the series, as she was one of the 2 main characters. Hawaii 50 goes on I guess because there are several main characters that can make up for the loss. Life had the potential to be a great show.