HAWAII FIVE-O.... I will NEVER watch this show again.

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by gastrof, Sep 20, 2010.

1. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    I remember the original, especially weekday afternoon reruns.

I find this new version contrived, shallow, and geared to the "How many gunshots, car crashes, and explosions can we fit into this one?" mentality.

They moved much too fast to bring the new versions of the characters together, the death of a parent by a bad guy was far too cheap a plot device, and naturally someone has to have an ex-spouse and only partial custody of a child who has a step-parent.

It's really pretty sad.

If they'd done a two hour opener maybe it wouldn't all have come across so cheaply, and maybe a more creative writer or writing team would have helped a little too.

I mean it, unless I feel like hearing the new version of the old themesong again (which at least seemed pretty true), I will never watch this show again.

If you're waiting to watch it off your TiVo, make up your own mind, but brace yourself for an hour's worth of plastic entertainment.

2. vertigo235

vertigo235 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Oct 27, 2000
    Charlotte
    Haha. Interesting

I actually liked it...

3. Snappa77

Snappa77 RUDEBWOY

Feb 14, 2004
    BOSTON

I did too. Alot.

4. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    I thought it was OK but the lead is not a good actor. The writing for him was lame, but even so he didn't do much with it. Maybe he'll get better with time... we can only hope.

5. Snappa77

Snappa77 RUDEBWOY

Feb 14, 2004
    BOSTON
    For full disclosure.... I watched this show after I watched The Event.

So the epic pile of crap of TheEvent might have made me like 5-0 a little more than I should have.

:p

6. vertigo235

vertigo235 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Oct 27, 2000
    Charlotte
    I agree. The real star/lead here is the "Dano" character for me.

7. Jeeters

Jeeters Registered Snoozer

Feb 25, 2003
    PA
    The abundance of "gunshots, car crashes, and explosions" might just be because it's the pilot episode. It's often given a bigger budget than future episode to dazzle the audience.

As for "moved much too fast"... I found it moving too slow in parts and briefly hit the FF button a few times.

8. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I hadn't planned on watching this. I only thought the original was ok (used to watch it occasionally with my dad growing up), but loved the theme song :) So, outside of the Hawaii location, and the obvious draw of the original characters, is there anything distinguishable that makes this any different than any other police procedural?

9. Lori

Lori Social Defective

Feb 20, 2000
    Bowie, MD USA
    I really liked it. I thought that it was a stronger *pilot* episode than the pilots of The Mentalist, Castle or Bones...none of which I thought much of from their pilots. I thought that Scott Caan was a hoot, and it was well-paced and beautifully shot.

We'll see what they do with all of it, of course, but I thought that it was a great start. I'm really looking forward to next week.

Full disclosure, though: I never watched the original. I grew up in the country, far from a CBS affiliate, so...no CBS. So, I have no Jack Lord baggage.

10. Tyrannosullyrex

Tyrannosullyrex New Member

Oct 6, 2004
    I liked that there were actual magazine changes, no gun had a thousand bullets.

Scott Caan is pretty great, he can deliver "banter" like few others.

11. bnbhoha

bnbhoha Member

Nov 2, 2002
    I actually liked it a lot too. Waiting for him to say "Book him Dano murder 1" he almost did ha ha.

12. Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy Active Member

Jan 19, 2005
    high desert...
    Alex O'Loughlin used to be a vampire, so not being able to fly and not being bulletproof makes his job harder.:D

The one thing that always make me cringe is when an actress built like Grace Park can take down TWO rent-a-henchman(TM) thugs built like NFL linebackers. They would have snapped her in half like a toothpick.

The magazine replacment showed at least a slight attention to detail. The comment that "this isn't LA, it's an island with less than a million people, so everyone knows everyone else" (or something like that) was also good to have them acknowledge.

Overall, I liked it. It isn't GREAT, but fun.

13. pex

pex Member

Oct 21, 2002
    Boston, MA
    Count me in the "will never watch it again" gang. There was nothing in the episode that would compel me to watch another.

Also, weirdly, I enjoy television/movie "intros" (dunno the industry term). They are an art form in themselves. Hawaii Five-O had an opportunity for something really great, with a classic score/riff to drive it. It ended up looking like some college project.

Next time, hire the same dudes who did "Six Feet Under," or "True Blood."

14. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    According to Wikipedia, what was said last night was actually the traditional line.

Many episodes would end with McGarrett instructing his subordinate, Danny Williams (played by James MacArthur), to arrest the alleged offender(s) with the phrase: "Book 'em, Danno!"

15. bnbhoha

bnbhoha Member

Nov 2, 2002
    "According to Wikipedia, what was said last night was actually the traditional line."

I'm a nerd. I google it. According to one site:

"Viewer deaths aside, critics say "Book-It Dano" follows an all-too-familiar format: two teams pitted against each other in so-called dramatic races, competing to win a prize; each must score more points than the other; or simply outlast them. Worse yet, "Book-It Dano" has the added contrivance of a lame reference to the 70's show "Hawaii Five-O." It starred Jack Lord, who famously uttered “Book’em Dano, Murder-One” at the conclusion of every solved crime."

16. retrodog

retrodog King Button Pusher

Feb 7, 2002
    At the gun...
    I greatly dislike Scott Caan, but I was ok with him in this pilot. I liked the lead guy from the vampire show, until it got boring.

And while I thought it was a little bit fast paced, I find it kind of funny that the OP stated it should have been a two hour pilot. I mean, come on, how many times have we watched a two hour show and thought it could have been condensed down into one hour. And personally, I'm tired of these made-for-TV shows dragging out their character development way too long. Yes, the characters were a little too chiché but at least they didn't dwell on these things for painful minutes when seconds would suffice to get the point across.

I thought they did a great job of blowing stuff up and shooting people. The A Team is dead, long live Miami Vice.

17. Uncle Briggs

Uncle Briggs Go Blues

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern...
    I'm going to stick with it for now. Grace Park makes that easier.

18. TIVOSciolist

TIVOSciolist Bye to High Society

Oct 13, 2003
    Oakland,...
    I like the scenery along with Grace Park and Daniel Dae Kim. I suspend disbelief for everything else. Obviously, you can't shoot/kill that many people every week and still have a job as a cop.

19. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Well, YOU certainly weren't paying attention!

The Governor gave him IMMUNITY!

:D

(Seriously, that cracked me up. "Immunity"?!? Is he going to be even more "immune" than Jack Bauer? I guess this will have to be a Super-Secret Task Force, because once the press gets word that a law enforcement hit squad with "immunity" is running around Hawaii, her days of governing are over...)

20. Lori

Lori Social Defective

Feb 20, 2000
    Bowie, MD USA
    Me, too. He actually made me not want to watch, since I have found him kind of annoying in the past. But I thought that he did a great job.

It *did* have an A-Team vibe, didn't it? :D