Having Trouble with the Search Function?

Discussion in 'Forum Operations Center' started by retrodog, Sep 27, 2005.

1. retrodog

retrodog King Button Pusher

Feb 7, 2002
    At the gun...
    I've noticed this for about a week now. I search on my name and the latest stuff that comes up is days old. Even when I've seen newer occurances. What's the deal? Is anybody else having this problem?

2. justapixel

justapixel Domestic Extremist Staff Member

Sep 27, 2001
    The Nanny State
    I've had it since the new software was installed.

3. David Bott

David Bott Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Jan 1, 1999
  4. David Bott

Jan 1, 1999
    I also just went into the advanged search and put in your user name in the right hand box and I got the same returns. Not days old.

5. retrodog

Feb 7, 2002
    At the gun...
    It catches stuff but it also misses recent quotes and the like. Not sure why. I started noticing it a couple of weeks ago and it's just odd.

6. retrodog

Feb 7, 2002
    At the gun...
    So it's still acting flaky. If you do a search on "retrodog" or "retrodog!!" then it still doesn't catch this thread:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=266789

The first sentence of that thread has "Retrodog!!" and it just doesn't pop up. I've noticed this on numerous other occasions. It's little frustrating when people are talking to/about you or quoting you and it doesn't get a hit on the search.

7. David Bott

Jan 1, 1999
    Sorry to say I can not do anything with it. It is what it is currently and I hope it will improve when we may move to the next version.

8. retrodog

Feb 7, 2002
    At the gun...
    That's ok, I just wanted you to know that I wasn't crazy.

Well not crazy in that way anyhow. ;)

9. YCantAngieRead

YCantAngieRead Not Entirely Current

Nov 5, 2003
    I guess this is on the same subject (but pardon me if it's not appropriate here,) but when I go to do a search for threads started by a certain poster, the search takes FOREVER. Yesterday, it was even disabled, temporarily.

Any end to that coming soon? It's not really a HUGE issue, of course, but I was wondering and thought since this is here I'd ask.

10. David Bott

Jan 1, 1999
    If you are seaching for threads by user name by someone who has a large number of ports, it can make for an issue.

11. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I just noticed a problem with search as well.

I was in the TV Show Talk Forum and pressed the button to "Search this Forum".

I entered "without a trace" (I tried both with and without quotations, with and without capitalization) and pressed "Go".

A whole bunch of threads came up, yet the threads discussing the most recent episodes were not listed.

12. ellinj

ellinj Seems Very Friendly TCF Club

Feb 26, 2002
    NoVa
    I often have better luck finding what I want using google search then the search on this forum.

site:www.tivocommunity.com retrodog

13. ellinj

ellinj Seems Very Friendly TCF Club

Feb 26, 2002
    NoVa
    This works if you want to see who has quoted you. site:www.tivocommunity.com "Originally Posted by retrodog"

14. dirk1843

dirk1843 I'm your huckleberry

Jul 7, 2003
    Northeast...
    I am having trouble with keyword search this morning.

Was looking for a post, tried using keywords that should have been there to no avail.

So I tried several random words, with no qualifers, and still got the "no match" results, even using tivo the sole keyword.

Am I doing something wrong??

15. David Bott

Jan 1, 1999
    TiVo"" can not be used for it is too comon on this site, thus it is not indexed and is the issue with that word.

Not sure what else you were looking for so it is kind of hard to try to help.

16. dirk1843

Jul 7, 2003
    Northeast...
    The problem came back up for me today.

I was looking for a thread discussing DVD media, that I believe I posted in. I searched upon my user name and keyword DVD. No matches. Then tried keyword drive, no matches. How uncommon should a word be before it can be used in search??

17. David Bott

Jan 1, 1999
    The search index can not search on both the user name and a keyword at the same time I am sorry to say.

18. dirk1843

Jul 7, 2003
    Northeast...
    Thanks David.

19. SullyND

SullyND W: 33-9 (Camping World Bowl) TCF Club

Dec 30, 2004
    Chicago Burbs
    Glad to see I was not the only one who was having trouble with the user name search - I do searches by my name to follow up on threads that I have posted too... Lately (And only recently) it has not caught all the threads... I mistakenly thought one had been deleted when it first happened...

20. Fofer

Fofer Bo55man69

Oct 29, 2000
    :confused:

I do this all the time and it seems to work fine.

I'll do keyword "massive," and user name "Fofer," (or whatever) and it finds the post I'm looking for.

Am I confusing this with something else?