Having some trouble with my Slide remote... anyone else?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by DaveLinger, Nov 30, 2010.

1. DaveLinger

DaveLinger New Member

Dec 3, 2008

Advertisements

So I've been having some problems with my TiVo Slide remote. I just read this thread and I seem to be having the same problem:

I bought the remote, plugged the dongle into the back of my TiVo (HD XL), and everything worked perfectly. For a while. Then it started ignoring half of my button presses at random. So I used the extension cable to locate the dongle to the front of the box. I live in a college-area apartment complex, and I know there's a lot of wireless interference (although that wouldn't explain why it worked perfectly to begin with).

But it didn't help. Still only about half of my button presses work, I almost always have to sit here and press the same button over and over for it to register. Occasionally every button press will work for 5-10 seconds at a time. My couch is only about 5-6 feet from the TiVo, but even if I hold the remote a foot away from the tivo (and dongle), the "reception" doesn't improve.

The TiVo shows over 90% battery life, and I've tried changing them. I've tried restarting the tivo, removing and replacing the dongle, and re-pairing the remote.

Now I'm extremely frustrated. It worked long enough for me to throw the box away, and now I just use my old TiVo Glow remote. My PS3 remote (which is also bluetooth) always works 100% fine, and always has - never misses a button press, and is also bluetooth.

Anyone have a possible solution for this?

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Do you have Network remote control turned on?

Messages & Settings / Settings / Remote, cable cards, & devices / Network Remote control / Enabled

3. DaveLinger

DaveLinger New Member

Dec 3, 2008
    Yes.

4. aztivo

aztivo Member

Feb 23, 2005
    AZ
    I dont believe that the wireless actually makes a difference as I think it works off blue tooth when you have the reciever pluged in

5. Dec 1, 2010 #5 of 43
    wkearney99

wkearney99 Bill Kearney

Dec 5, 2003
    Bethesda,...

Advertisements

My guess would be you got a defective remote. Return it for another.

6. Dec 1, 2010 #6 of 43
    Fofer

Fofer Bo55man69

Oct 29, 2000
    Huh? This remote works over Bluetooth, not IP. It has nothing to do with Network Remote control.

7. Dec 1, 2010 #7 of 43
    DogFace

DogFace New Member

Apr 26, 2005
    I have exactly the same symptoms you describe. Like yours, the remote worked great at first on my Series 3. I am waiting for a replacement and will report results.

8. Dec 1, 2010 #8 of 43
    Robbdoe1

Robbdoe1 Tivo Obsessed

Dec 29, 2008
    Melbourne, FL
    Have either of you guys checked to see if the tuners are eating up the CPU?

I would look at RS Corrected and RS uncorrected values and see if they are rising. This is just a random thought.

Robb

9. Dec 1, 2010 #9 of 43
    Fofer

Fofer Bo55man69

Oct 29, 2000
    How does one look at "RS Corrected and RS uncorrected values?"

My new slide remote gets flaky from time to time as well (I am using it in the bedroom next to the living room where the TiVo actually lives.) Since it seems a little better than my previous solution (IR over coax, which worked great at first but eventually got VERY flaky) I just accepted it.

Now I am trying other things, the USB extension cable seems to help a bit. Also when things get bad I unplug the BT receiver and plug it back in. Or reboot the TiVo. Both seem to help. Any more pointers appreciated!

10. tannett

tannett Long time reader....

Feb 8, 2007
    Cedar...
    Mine has the exact same symptom. Worked great originally and seems to be lagging now. I keep moving the receiver around to see if it helps but it definitely isn't working as well as when I first got it.

DogFace: I'll be curious to see if a replacement works. Maybe I just need a new one too.

11. Robbdoe1

Robbdoe1 Tivo Obsessed

Dec 29, 2008
    Melbourne, FL
  12. DaveLinger

DaveLinger New Member

Dec 3, 2008
    I will take my Slide to my parents house and give it a try on my Dad's Series 3. If it works there, it'll be his Christmas gift. If not, ****'s about to go down.

13. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Before they introduced the slide remote, a feature was added, "Network Remote control" and you can use telnet to the Tivo and it works like the IR Remotes did with added alphabetic keys. It works the same if you used a USB Keyboard plugged in to the Tivo and I have done that before. This feature only works on Series 3/HD/XL and the Premiere.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=392385 has all the details.

14. Fofer

Fofer Bo55man69

Oct 29, 2000
    I know this, I have used the Network Remote Control before, with a python app someone here wrote, and use it now for the "DVR Remote" app on my iPhone and iPad.

But this has no effect whatsoever on the the (Bluetooth) Slide remote, which works via Bluetooth, with the BT receiver plugged into the USB port.

So when you asked if the OP, DaveLinger, had turned that feature on, I felt compelled to clarify. Asking if that feature (Network Remote control) is turned on has nothing to do with getting the Bluetooth slide remote to work. You might as well ask if he has the TiVo plugged into a surge suppressor, or how many Season Passes he has. These questions are equally irrelevant. :)

Unless of course you're suggesting that Network Remote Control is conflicting, in which case he'd want to turn it OFF...

15. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You can turn that feature off and see if the slide remote still works. It will not hurt to try.

16. Robbdoe1

Robbdoe1 Tivo Obsessed

Dec 29, 2008
    Melbourne, FL
    I checked after your first post yesterday night and mine was off but the slide does still work via Bluetooth.

Robb

17. DogFace

DogFace New Member

Apr 26, 2005
    I received my replacement slide remote from TIVO. I had really not expected great results.

The old remote was not abused. As it became less reliable, I was mainly suspicious of how many simultaneous tasks were going on in the background of my six year old series 3 TIVO. It is upgraded to 1.5TB. I use both cable and OTA tuners, for over 100 season passes. I have just started managing recordings over the web.

Anyway, these suspicions were unfounded. The replacement remote works like a charm. No missed key presses. No extra key presses.

TIVO backed their product with a (90 day) warranty replacement.

18. DaveLinger

DaveLinger New Member

Dec 3, 2008
    But the real question is... will this one be just like all of the others and flake out within a few weeks?

19. DogFace

DogFace New Member

Apr 26, 2005
    We don't seem to be hearing from a huge number of posters about failed remotes.
    I will let you know if my remote fails again.

I don't see a reason to jump to conclusions at this point.

20. DaveLinger

DaveLinger New Member

Dec 3, 2008
    It's worth mentioning also that I took my slide remote to my dad's house and tried it on his series 3 and it works fine. Haven't tried it on my HD again yet.