Having second thoughts about Premiere

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by rlc1, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Nov 7, 2011 #1 of 27
    rlc1

rlc1 Frakking idiot

Sep 15, 2003
    Plaistow, NH
    I recently cancelled service on my old DT-S2 because I wasn't using it anymore - recently moved and was using only a Comcast DVR. When I called to cancel, the rep convinced me to get a Premiere (gave it to me for free if I agreed to a 2-year service contract at $19.99 a month).

However, it hasn't even arrived yet and I'm wondering if it's even worth it. I'm only paying an extra $7 a month for the Comcast DVR (the HD service and HD box price - if I didn't have the DVR - are built into my package price already). I don't really need the access to premium movie and music services that the Premiere provides, since I already get these through my Blu-Ray Disc player. I don't care about copying shows to my PC, or viewing photos/videos from my PC on my TV (does anyone care about this?).

So what's left? Greater storage capacity and a slicker interface, for sure...I've been with Tivo long enough (7 years) to understand that. But I haven't been watching as much TV lately, and I really can't think of why I'd ever need to store 45 hours worth of HD content.

I realize the answer probably is "Only I can decide....", but I'm wondering, has anyone else had this crisis where they can't decide if they even care about Tivo anymore? I used to think it was indispensible...now I'm thinking the Comcast box may just be "good enough".

2. Nov 8, 2011 #2 of 27
    Dr_Diablo

Dr_Diablo Dr_Diablo

Nov 23, 2003
    Midwest
    Further bad news, come Dec 1st the premium channels, HBO, Showtime, will be blocked from view on a Tivo...

Got my letter from brighthouse yesterday informing me of this..

3. Nov 8, 2011 #3 of 27
    CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    Blocked or Copy Protected 0x02? What was their explanation and justification?

4. Nov 8, 2011 #4 of 27
    LoREvanescence

LoREvanescence Always Autocorrected

Jun 19, 2007
    Salem, MA
    SDV maybe? :confused:

Of course you can get tuning adapters if that is the case

5. Nov 9, 2011 #5 of 27
    Balzer

Balzer Active Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Isn't that an FCC violation?

6. Nov 9, 2011 #6 of 27
    innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Yeah and it needs to be reported to the FCC.

paging sbiller.

7. Nov 9, 2011 #7 of 27
    sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Can you post a copy of the letter or email me a copy?

Thanks,
    Sam

sambiller@gmail.com

8. Nov 9, 2011 #8 of 27
    davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    yeah, let's see that letter!

9. Nov 9, 2011 #9 of 27
    rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    That is doubtful. Maybe SDV?

10. celtic pride

celtic pride Member

Nov 8, 2005
    I thought i read about this on another forum, where a customer complained about the letter they received from there cable company saying hbo would not be available on his tivo! the cable companies are missleading tivo users into thinking they need the cable box to receive any premiumn channels!, but tivo users will still be able to receivie premiumn channels using SDV! I urge anyone who receives this letter from their cable company to report them to the FCC!.

11. nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Living in a...
  12. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Seriously starting to doubt whether he really received that letter from BHN.
    ~Sam

13. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    There is ZERO technical justification why Comcast would do such a thing. On Cox (here, anyway) *all* channels are available to TiVo users with cable card and tuning adapters. Something is very fishy about this...

14. CoxInPHX

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    Just for clarification are you subscribed to and receiving the additional HBOs, SHOs that are included in the Plus Package. Most posts I have seen are not able to receive these channels,

15. LoREvanescence

LoREvanescence Always Autocorrected

Jun 19, 2007
    Salem, MA

if not, try DIY HD, if you can't get that you have the cox plus package issue

16. CoxInPHX

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    Cox Arizona has not Officially launched the Plus Package channels, I was receiving DIYHD for several days, but yesterday it started displaying "This channel is not Authorized"

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=478351

17. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    Good point. I can't comment to those.

It is listed online as a channel- 1235. I can't tune it... "This channel is not authorized. Contact your cable provider for more information"

18. BHNtechXpert

BHNtechXpert New Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Somewhere along the line I think there may be some confusion. Please forward me a copy of the letter you received and I'll do my best to clear this up for ya.

19. BHNtechXpert

BHNtechXpert New Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Please forward me a copy of the letter same as with the OP. Thanks!

20. BHNtechXpert

BHNtechXpert New Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Thank you Sam. I think they may have misread the letter because there is no issue there.