Have to re-enter 30 second skip code everyday

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by cardboy008, Jan 5, 2006.

1. cardboy008

cardboy008 New Member

Dec 23, 2003

Advertisements

Is anyone else having this issue? I enter the 30 second skip code and it gives me the verification that it works (3 dings) but it seems every night the code gets lost and I must re-enter it the next day.

This just started happening as the 30 second skip was working fine for a long time previous to this week without a daily re-entering of the code. Any help would be appreciated. I used the search function but only came up with people asking what the code actually was. Thanks in advance

2. simonalope

simonalope New Member

Jun 2, 2004
    People's...
    This could be a sign that something is causing your TiVo to reboot on a daily basis. Is your TiVo plugged into a UPS, or straight into the wall where it would be vulnerable to transient power variations? Does the system info say "pending restart"? It could be it has downloaded a software update but is failing to load it upon rebooting.

3. cardboy008

cardboy008 New Member

Dec 23, 2003
    i will check when i get home and get back to you, i don't believe it was pending restart the last time i checked, could anything else be causing this?

4. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Is it possible that the unit is plugged into the Auxiliary power connection on the cable box? And then the cable box is turned off at night?

Of course this is all conjecture if you don't use a cable box.

Tell us how you have everything connected.

5. rbt2

rbt2 New Member

Jul 28, 2003

Advertisements

I'm having the exact same problem w/ my series 2 Tivo. Recently, each day I have to reprogram the 30 sec skip. This has been going on for a month or so (can't remember exactly when this started but the 30 sec skip used to work day to day w/ out re-entering the code).

The Tivo is plugged into a surge protector and not my cable box. Tivo is not re-starting each day.

Software version is "7.2.0-oth-01-2-140". Is this the current version?

Anyone else experiencing this?

Any other ideas on this?

6. ZikZak

ZikZak Neurostim Addict

Aug 12, 2002
    Arecibo, PR
    Bwuh? How do you know this? The 30-second skip is reset when the tivo reboots, and at no other time. Hence, if you're having to reset the 30-second skip every day, your tivo is almost certainly rebooting once a day. Check to see if your connection status is "pending restart," indicating that your tivo is trying to install software each night but failing.

7. rbt2

rbt2 New Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Connection status says "succeeded".

8. simonalope

simonalope New Member

Jun 2, 2004
    People's...
    That doesn't mean it's not restarting every day. "Pending restart" could indicate that the TiVo is rebooting daily because of a bad software download, but there are several other problems that could cause daily/frequent restarting.
    You say your TiVo is plugged into a power strip - could something be cutting power to that outlet? Try plugging a cheap clock (without battery backup) into the same strip and see if it keeps time correctly.
    Power fluctuations can be enough to reboot a TiVo, so you might want to get a UPS if you've got flaky wiring in your house.

Also, since you say this started a month ago, do you remember making any changes near the TiVo a month ago? A new piece of equipment that draws a lot of current on the same circuit as the TiVo could create enough of a drop in current to reboot the TiVo (kind of like lights dimming when a hair dryer is in use). Try unplugging any new pieces of equipment for two days and see how your TiVo does.