Have Tivo Roamio, need either MoCa Bridge or MoCa compatible modem.

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by sklayton, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Feb 12, 2018 #1 of 160
    sklayton

sklayton Member

Feb 12, 2018

Advertisements

My Tivo Mini and modem is in one room and my Roamio is in another room. Ethernet won't work so should I get a bridge and filter or upgrade my Netgear C3000? Is one more efficient than another?

2. Feb 13, 2018 #2 of 160
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    I prefer using a separate, standalone MoCA adapter, to allow me to choose whatever modem and router fits my needs, but a combo gateway device certainly makes for a cleaner install.

Some MoCA adapter options:

PCurry57 likes this.
  3. Feb 13, 2018 #3 of 160
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    C130 indicates the Mini can't find a MoCA network on the coax lines.

What model Roamio do you have? A 4-tuner model, or a 6-tuner Roamio Plus or Pro?

4. Feb 18, 2018 #4 of 160
    sklayton

sklayton Member

Feb 12, 2018
    I have a 4 tuner. How does the adapter work as opposed to the bridge and poe filter?

5. Feb 18, 2018 #5 of 160
    mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015

Advertisements

Moca adapter = bridge. POE filter should be at your POE in both cases.

The 4-tuner has no built-in Moca capability, hence the reason you're getting the error on the Mini. You'll just need the one bridge/adapter connected at your router if you don't/can't use your router's Moca.

If the POE is causing you too much confusion, don't worry about it until you get everything else working. Your system will function whether it's installed or not.

6. Feb 19, 2018 #6 of 160
    fyodor

fyodor Active Member

Sep 19, 2006
    I would get one of these.

https://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Ada...9068205&sr=1-2&keywords=motorola+moca+adapter

In the room with the cable modem/router have the coax cable go into the coax input on the Motorola bridge and then another coax go from the passthrough output on the Motorola bridge to your cable modem. Take an ethernet cable and plug one end into the ethernet port on the MoCA bridge and the into one of the LAN ports on your cable modem router. That should do it.

7. Feb 19, 2018 #7 of 160
    fyodor

fyodor Active Member

Sep 19, 2006
    Just to clarify, the "adapters" people are referring to are "bridges."

8. Feb 23, 2018 #8 of 160
    fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Just to clarify, the term "bridge" is the one of the most ill defined terms ever used in computer terminology and has lead to great and unnecessary confusion....just because Tivo uses the term "bridge" to describe their MoCA adapter does not make it any clearer.

9. Feb 24, 2018 #9 of 160
    sklayton

sklayton Member

Feb 12, 2018
    So, I connected everything and it worked ok for about half an hour then I got a C33 message and giving me a message that in order to use MoCa I'd need to unplug the ethernet cable. It asked me to input a 12-16 digit pin code for the MoCa and it is not working and won't connect to the network manually. I now have the ethernet cable attached to modem and MoCa adapter instead of mini.

10. Feb 24, 2018 #10 of 160
    kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    What is "it" that asked for a code?

The Mini?

Maybe you could type out the bulk of the error message?

-KP

11. Feb 24, 2018 #11 of 160
    fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    It would be good to specify what device gave you this code...was it the mini?
    Generally on a home network with one MoCA network, using encryption is not necessary or a good idea so long as a MoCA filter is properly placed. If you do use encryption on one MoCA device, you must be able to use it on all other MoCA devices to make a connection.
    The most common problem with MoCA is usually splitter/coax related. Who is your ISP and what cable modem/router are you using?

12. Feb 24, 2018 #12 of 160
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Good info. Changing device locations was a good move, due to the 4-tuner Roamio lacking any MoCA functionality. As your setup was originally described in the OP, you would have needed two MoCA adapters, one at the modem location to bridge MoCA traffic to the router LAN and a second MoCA adapter at the Roamio's remote location to provide the Roamio a network connection via MoCA/coax. With the Roamio and Mini locations switched, the Roamio can be connected via Ethernet to the router and the Mini's built-in MoCA connectivity allows it to connect as a MoCA client -- meaning you just need a single MoCA adapter total, installed at the modem/router location, to establish the MoCA network.

You also need a "PoE" MoCA filter installed on the incoming cable provider line, to secure your MoCA signals inside your home, keep neighboring MoCA signals out, as well as to provide a performance boost to the MoCA network by reducing losses between nodes. It's possible that you could get your MoCA network functioning without the "PoE" MoCA filter in place, but neighboring MoCA signals or complex or substandard in-home coax could pose an impediment that the MoCA filter could correct or overcome.

What is "everything" and how, specifically, was it connected? e.g. Does "everything" include a "PoE" MoCA filter properly installed? What MoCA adapter did you buy, and how, specifically, is it connected (i.e. what's connected to each port)?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
  13. Feb 24, 2018 #13 of 160
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Agreed.

Why you'd be prompted for a PIN is a mystery. It may indicate your MoCA adapter is configured with MoCA security (warranting a factory reset of the adapter), or possibly that you're seeing a MoCA network from another residence encroaching onto your coax (perhaps if a "PoE" MoCA filter hasn't yet been installed).

14. Feb 24, 2018 #14 of 160
    sklayton

sklayton Member

Feb 12, 2018
    ok, I wasn't clear about that but in settings/change network settings it has Ethernet and MoCa both on and going into MoCa it says "set up as client" or "Turn off MoCa" when I choose the first one, it says "to use MoCa, unplug the Ethernet cable from the back of the Tivo box." I unplugged it then it shows a "MoCa encryption" screen with "No Ecryption" and "Enter a Key" it also says "If MoCa was set up by your cable company or pro installer (which it wasn't) it is recommended you don't change settings. I was thinking I'd enter a Key b/c I set it up not my cable provider but I've also gone the other direction of not "no encryption", I then get the C33 message.

The error may be in the way everything is connected. The coax goes to a splitter - one end goes to modem/router the other goes to another splitter which goes to the tv and the other to another splitter which then goes to the mini and the other goes to the bridge.

15. Feb 24, 2018 #15 of 160
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Yikes! ;)

I'd recommend sketching a diagram of your setup, including coax and networking gear, and reviewing previous posts from here -- though not necessarily in that order. (Neither the DVR or "PoE" MoCA filter are mentioned in the above description, but would need to be included in the diagram.)

16. Feb 25, 2018 #16 of 160
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Your adjusted setup requiring just a single MoCA adapter should be similar to the following reference diagram ...

Simple Cable-MoCA network v1.png

The switch is optional; the splitter at the DVR/bridge/gateway location could be just a 2-way if your MoCA adapter includes a STB/RF Out pass-through port, allowing connection of the Roamio or gateway to the pass-through port; and the Minis and their associated splitter would need to be adjusted based on however many connections you need.

Lastly, if you needed the Roamio at one of the remote locations, rather than a Mini, you'd need to purchase a second MoCA adapter for installation at the remote Roamio location, to provide the Roamio with a MoCA connection back to the main MoCA bridge.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  17. Feb 27, 2018 #17 of 160
    sklayton

sklayton Member

Feb 12, 2018
    Ok, I bought a 4 way splitter to remove some coax cables and I spoke to Tivo customer service and I couldn't find the MoCa option on the Roamio network settings, so she said the solution is to get another bridge/adapter like you said in the second paragraph. But I think I might be able to arrange it so the Roamio and bridge are in the same room so I wouldn't need a 2nd adapter. Thanks for the help.

18. Feb 27, 2018 #18 of 160
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Given the latest post I'm not really sure what devices you have in what rooms. If you need help mapping the diagram from the previous post to your actual needs, feel free to post back with details.

19. Mar 1, 2018 #19 of 160
    sklayton

sklayton Member

Feb 12, 2018
    The latest development is that several TCP ports are closed and need to be opened says Tivo. Is that a known problem? I have the modem/router, Roamio in one room. POE filter, bridge, and mini in the other room. Both lights on the bridge were lit, and the MoCa is now discoverable but the network still won't connect.

20. Mar 1, 2018 #20 of 160
    kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Is your Mini getting an IP address from the Router?

-KP