have Hr 21 and I am thinking external TB HD

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by stingray, Jan 14, 2012.

1. stingray

stingray New Member

Aug 29, 2002
    california
    Hard drives are so cheap today I can get one for under 150 or should I bite the bullet and get a new one from DirecTV but I dont want to get in a contract for another 2 years.

Any suggestions.

2. stingray

stingray New Member

Aug 29, 2002
    california
    And what brand is the best hard drive for the HR 21

3. stingray

stingray New Member

Aug 29, 2002
    california
    You think is better then upgrading thru Directv -what I read, the new DVR and TiVo don't have any compelling reason to be get into a new contract for 2 years with the added monthly cost?
    And what I really want is more hard drive space to record more programs.

4. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    A new what through DirecTV - external hard drive? I see no point to that. Buy one separately that is known to work.

5. stingray

stingray New Member

Aug 29, 2002
    california
    I agree why get committed for a long contract and pay more monthly fee when I could get an external hard drive for 100 and change.
    again, thanks.

6. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Does DirecTV even offer an external hard disk as something you can get from them? I don't see it on their site. Even if they had such, it would not have a rental fee nor extend your contract. All I see on the DirecTV site for accessories is the AM-21 OTA adapter and the Nomad device.

Here is DirecTV's only reference to expanding capacity.

7. midas

midas I heard that

Jun 1, 2000
    Montgomery,...
    I think he was saying, he was considering getting a newer box, which would have a bigger hard drive than what he currently has.

8. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    I see - well, I would not go that route just for added capacity. Now if you are looking at the HR24 (faster) or HR34 (Whole-home server with five tuners), that's another story.