hate to ask the noob ? but i am ....

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by alienagenda, Nov 4, 2007.

1. alienagenda

alienagenda New Member

Nov 4, 2007

Advertisements

Just read thru the sticky that answers a bunch of ?'s, but has left me a bit confused.

Is it ONLY possible to upgrade the storage capacity of the Series 3 HD unit by opening the case and marrying the additional drive???

Is the eSATA add on not going to work at this time with a HD unit unless I use the WD product for expansion??????

Sorry to ask this, but i read you cant then i read references to HD units with expansion drives...etc. etc...

I simply want to know if I can build my own estat drive and add it to the Series 3 HD Tivo...

thanks and please dont slam me too bad......

2. alienagenda

alienagenda New Member

Nov 4, 2007
    maybe i misunderstood some of the information.

the TivoHD and Series 3 Tivo HD are 2 different animals correct?

So the Series 3 HD unit can be expanded with the drive of my choice via the esata port??

3. ldudek

ldudek New Member

Sep 2, 2007
    You can always remove the hard drive and replace it with a larger one on either the S3 or TiVo HD. You could possibly void your warranty by doing this.

You can use any eSATA II with the TiVo S3. There is a sticky at the top of this formum that describes a number of them. From what I understand you can only use the ones TiVo says are allowed for the TiVo HD.

4. CharlesH

CharlesH Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Sacramento...
    When you get 9.2 software, both the TiVoHD and the Series 3 can be upgraded with the supported external MyDVR Expander Drive, just by plugging it in and following the on-screen instructions. The Series 3 will also accept other external drives, after fussing about it not being a supported drive. But if you have problems with the unsupported drive, TiVo won't help you, and you can lose ALL recordings done after the external drive is added, since each program is likely spread across both drives.

5. alienagenda

alienagenda New Member

Nov 4, 2007

Advertisements

thanks,
    after looking at the mydvr and price shopping doing it myself, it doesnt make much since not to buy the MyDVR at 500G from Tivo. I would spend about the same for the drive and enclosure and then have no support if i had an issue

thanks again