hate the peanut remote

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by silvermang, Jul 25, 2007.

1. silvermang

silvermang New Member

Jul 14, 2007
    I just bought a series 2 dt unit. I hate the peanut remote that comes with it. When I hold it by its waist, where it is supposed to be held, I can't reach the Tivo, TV Power, Live TV buttons, etc, with my thumb, and, I can't reach the number pad either. This just seems like the worst remote control design I have ever seen. Am I missing something?

2. rdrrepair

rdrrepair Bill Knapp

Nov 24, 2006
    845 New York
    You'll get use to it. My kids have been able to use the remote since 3&5 yrs of age.

The remote is so easy to use you'll never have to turn on the light - Just give it a little time and you'll be singing it's praises.

3. msaeger

msaeger New Member

Oct 3, 2002
    I like it but I did like the series one remote that was slightly shorter better. I mostly use the D pad, volume, tivo, ff/rw, pause, and 30 sec skip. I never use the number pad. I haven't really seen many remotes that you can reach all the buttons on without changing your hand position.

4. supasta

supasta Active Member

May 6, 2006
    Colorado
    I didn't like the remote at first either, so I was using my Sony touchscreen remote to control the TiVo. Now, a year later, I love the TiVo Peanut. It is the only remote I use.

5. Double-Tap

Double-Tap Alien Hunter

Apr 18, 2002
    U.S. Midwest
    Missing? Battery door comes off easily and gets lost. Small gripe but you asked. I tend to use a few buttons and can feel my way around them in the dark. My opinion is any remote that makes you move it forward in your hand to reach another button (happy TiVo guy), has room for design improvements. Unless you have a looooong thumb, that is. Give me the old Sony series 1 TiVo remote design and now you're talking. It seems you live with the peanut or find a TiVo-friendly universal remote to replace it.

6. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    If you feel the current peanut is too big, the old series 1 peanut is a full inch shorter, you may want to try it

7. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    the thought in the design is that you end up watching pre-recorded shows out of now playing after you have the TiVo a while and build up a list in now playing. Then the buttons you will use most often are right there at the waist.

It sounds like you still do a bit of live TV watching right now

8. captain_video

captain_video Member

Feb 28, 2002
    There is no such thing as the perfect remote. The Tivo peanut is a simple ergonomic design that fits well in your hand and has a nice feel to it. The buttons are easy to detect by feel and it's simple to use.

Unfortunately, it has limited functionality when used as a universal remote, which takes it out of contention for use in most home theater setups that have numerous components. A programmable universal remote with lots of memory takes the place of my Tivo peanuts, most of which are still sealed in plastic since they day they were packed up in the factory box.

9. StuffOfInterest

StuffOfInterest New Member

Jul 18, 2007
    McLean,...
    Having just moved from a Series1 (Sony) to a Series2 I'm having some issues with the new remote as well. I find that there are a lot of things I could do one handed on the old remote that have to be done two handed with the new one. Guess I just probably try just using the old remote with the new box. The thing is that most of the paint and button labeling has worn off the remote to the point that I'm working from memory!

Should post a picture of this poor remote some day.

10. pkscout

pkscout Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Honolulu, HI
    BLASPHEMER!!!! I smote you. :D

11. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    I do see some of the OP's point. We watch "So you think You can Dance" and I sometimes have to look down and use the second hand to mute the annoying sounding female judge that always sits in the middle. :eek:

Plus you are right for multiple components the Peanut remote does not have the capability. I see a lot of them up for sale on ebay. have you tried the new learning remote that comes with the S3?

12. freeze12

freeze12 Member

Aug 20, 2006
    I Myself do not like the series 2 remote either: Why the heck is the.. "Enter" or "flashback" button all the way at the bottom of the remote as I like to go back & forth between channels. ... Jusy My rant :thumbsdown: :mad:

13. moviewatcha

moviewatcha New Member

Jul 26, 2007
    the peanut remote is the worst

14. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    get a DT and tune the two channels then use Live Tv button to go back and forth while keeping a buffer on each. I do that the few times a year I watch Live TV that is ;)

15. drumorgan

drumorgan a "dry" funny

Jan 11, 2003
    America's...
    I know what you mean. My thumb get tired having to move that extra inch down to the other keys. I heard that back in the 20th century, they had to get up out of the chair and hit pause and rewind on the actual Tivo itself.

edit: I just read that they didn't have Tivo yet. I guess they had to get up off the couch to switch to the HD channels from the SD ones and....

edit: never mind. The more I read about those days, it looks like they were probably too busy waiting in a gas line to watch much cable television.

Seriously, though,
    I like the peanut shape, because, even if my hand has to move, I know just by feel where my thumb should be. Anybody remember the one minute that Apple came out with a completely round mouse? Uh, yeah, you had no idea which way was up. The peanut has just become like riding a bicycle for me, I don't have to look for any buttons. Not the ones I use anyway. Who is changing channels? What is that? I have no idea what channels the shows I watch are on, nor do I know what time or day they come on. I do know how to spell their titles and how to find them in a wish list, and how to use my 'now playing' to watch everything I need.

16. marrone

marrone Phased Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Melbourne, FL
    I do like the series 1 peanut better. Slightly smaller. Felt better made too...slightly heavier.

The new one just feels slightly junkier.

-Mike

17. alansplace

alansplace ------ Alan ------

Apr 30, 2006
    Southern...
    i bought a both a harmony 628 and a harmony 880 and i hate (tried them out for months) using either of them (they've both been retired to a drawer in my bed table), but i love my peanut.
    --
    Alan :D

18. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    The only downside with the Peanut is its flexibility with other devices, like universals are, even the crappy universals. Which is which I have a rather good universal in my HT room (a One For All URC-8910).

I do use the peanut in my living room/office though,as there is little other equipment to control.

19. billboard_NE

billboard_NE North Shore MA

May 18, 2005

I also went from the Sony 2000 remote to the peanut remote. I didn't like it at first, but know I am fine with it. Stick with it, you will get used to it.

20. megory

megory Advanced TiVoOligan

Jan 22, 2003
    Spectrum,...
    I agree. I don't like the peanut. And the only remote that I ever loved was the Sony TiVo remote. It was perfect for me.

However, the regular TiVo peanut doesn't work according to my logic.

Oh well. I had to figure it out and get used to it (well, I'm still working on that) because it isn't gonna change. I will.

Ya can get used to anything, it just takes time.

Good luck with it.