Hate the "info" on the bottom!

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by TexasGrillChef, Jan 12, 2012.

1. TexasGrillChef

TexasGrillChef New Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Just today, my TiVo's (Elite & XL) finally updated to the lasted TiVo Software.
    I must admit there are alot of things I do like about the upgrade.

What I do not like is the "info" now at the bottom of the screen!

Before... When I hit the "Info" button, or went to change a channel. The "banner" would appear at the TOP of the screen. NOW... It's at the bottom! I can't stand it at the bottom!

TiVo Listen up...Give us users a CHOICE if we want it at the top or bottom. In your next update, have a setting for top or bottom!

The problem with it being on the bottom, is that when we use Closed Captioning feature. The CC text CAN'T BE READ!!!!! The banner COVERS the CC Text!

When the banner was at the top. You could still read the CC Text, AND you could read the banner at the same time!

from my point of view I call this a BUG! because it blocks the CC text.

Uggg.... 2 steps forward, 1 step backwards...

TGC

P.S.... Im NOT suggesting that TiVo move the banner back to the top. I am just suggesting that we be given an option to do so. That way if you want it on the bottom, you can have it on the bottom, if you want it on the top, then you can have it on the top. I do believe that this would be a much easier solution to program, then adding an option to put the CC text on the top or bottom. Because when the banner isn't being displayed, I want the CC text on the bottom. If the banner is being displayed, I could "LIVE" with the CC text on top. However, my ideal personal like, would be banner at the top, leave CC text at the bottom.

2. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    Ahhh - the age old question: Top or Bottom :)

I happen to agree - I preferred it on the top.

3. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    I much prefer the box at the bottom, seeing faces is better than seeing a$$s. However, I understand your concerns. It may be easiest for TiVo to just provide the captions at the top if turned on and the info is on screen. The captions are already an "option".

4. Philmatic

Philmatic Member

Sep 17, 2003
    No, I'm with TiVo on this one. It's a smart move, it's forward-thinking and it's not a decision based on what others are doing, but what's best for the user. All the action happens on the top half and center of the screen, the previous behavior would block the most critical portions of what you're watching.

No options, no preferences, just keep it at the bottom. You'll get used to it.

5. TexasGrillChef

Sep 15, 2006
    No I wont... I need the CC text.

I understand why they did it, & if I DIDN'T need CC text, I would probably want it on the bottom too. I just wish they gave us the option. Did anyone not think about the fact that some people NEED the CC text?

Give us the option to choose top or bottom, If we had the option, and the default factory settings were the banner at the bottom. I would not have a problem with it. But we don't even have the option!

Or give us the option to have the CC text at the top of the screen then.

In all honesty, I think I would love to even have the option to make it go away completely & not have it display anything on the screen. Now that I have an iPad with the TiVo app, as well as on my iPhones.

I do have to admit though, that I don't always use my iPhone/iPad TiVo app as the remote etc... because sometimes I am doing something else on it and don't want to have to stop what I am doing on it to go to the TiVo app.

TGC

6. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    You must have some serious reading skills if you can read what is in the info box at the top of the screen while simultaneously reading the CC at the bottom of the screen.

7. TexasGrillChef

Sep 15, 2006
    Just curious...

Anyone out there that uses CC Text Full time have any thoughts & desires about this?

If you don't use CC text, I can fully understand why you want it at the bottom. But think about those of us who DO NEED CC text.

TGC

8. TexasGrillChef

Sep 15, 2006
    LOL depends on what I &/or my family are watching.

When we change channels, the banner at the bottom isn't a problem. Because it does take a few seconds before CC text appears anyways. So changing channels, or channel surfing the banner at the bottom isn't a major problem.

The problem comes when you hit the info button, to find out more info about what your watching, or what your watching.

95% of the time, its my wife or the rest of the family that hits the info button wanting to know what I am watching, or additional information. Thus making it impossible for me to keep reading the dialog in the show, while they are reading the info. Thus... click click click back up the show... to see/read what I missed while they were doing reading the info screen. For me... when I want the info. I will use my iPad & any one of the many apps for that. TiVo, AOL TV, IMDB, etc...

Just a question... did the network icons disapear from the mini guide, guide and info banner? Or are they suppose to be there and Im not seeing mine anymore?

TGC

9. comma splice

comma splice Member

Feb 4, 2010
    I like it on the bottom, but if I used the CC would probably share your concern.

Giving the user the choice wouldn't hurt the people who do prefer its new location.

10. wdwms

wdwms Member

Jan 10, 2003
    This should be user configurable. After 13 years of using a Tivo my eyes are now trained to go to the top.

Plus, at the bottom it covers all the news tickers, winter school closings, etc!!

Please please please, make this configurable.. i've tweeted my request to TivoDesign, do the same!

11. bbrown9

bbrown9 Active Member TCF Club

Mar 12, 2011
    I liked it at the bottom until I ran into the same problem with it covering the CC text. I don't need the CC for every show - mostly the dramas because they tend to have a lot of whispering in them and I can't hear the dialog well enough.

I agree that there should be an option. Though there are times when the CC is shown at the top.

12. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale

You've been here long enough to know that this is not an official Tivo site.

CALL TIVO and tell them your displeasure, or else they ARE NOT HEARING IT.

This also costs them support money, which can be good (costing support can cause them to fix something).

13. cook

cook New Member

Aug 11, 2010
    California
    "In all honesty, I think I would love to even have the option to make it go away completely & not have it display anything on the screen."

TGC[/QUOTE]

You can make the info banner go away faster by going to settings & messages>settings>displays>channel banner>clear banner quickly.
    There are some CC options there too if you want to play around with them to see if it helps.

14. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    I'm a 100% CC user.

Good news: I've been on a remote Caribbean island for a week.

Bad news: I've missed out on all the V20 stuff/talk. I have no idea if my Elite rec'd the update or not. As a heavy, heavy TV watcher, I have a TON of shows recording this week*, and can only hope the Elite is working flawlessly while I'm gone. Praying for no lockups, update glitches, etc.

I am *very* sensitive to all things CC, placement being one of them. I'll check this out when I return.

[Aside: why why why does an update have to rollout the one week I'm gone? :(]

*TiVo to Calendar shows 74 recordings this week.
    :rolleyes:

15. TexasGrillChef

Sep 15, 2006
    Here is another thing, that I noticed too but didn't originally mention. I would have said something earlier, but I have been very busy the last few weeks....

When a NETWORK puts information on the bottom portion of the screen. Such as local news putting a ticker across the bottom, or other news stations putting additional info on the bottom etc...

When you have the guide up, or the display up from the "info" button. It also BLOCKS THIS information on the screen as well.

So again.. you want to read the ticker after hitting hte info button. You need to "Review" and backup the video to read what the network put on the screen. This to me is a royal PITA.

My request is simple.... For TiVo to give US the consumers the option of having it on the top or the bottom.

If you want it on the bottom, then by all means, have it there. But dont' force those of us who want it at the top!

TGC

16. celtic pride

celtic pride Member

Nov 8, 2005
    maybe what tivo should do is, when cc is turned on the menu will be on top, and when cc is off the menu would be on bottom. Although i think that wouldn't work either! I have used tivos sincs 2000 and am used to menu info being on top,not sure if i like iinfo on bottom yet but i guess i'm getting used to it,

17. dsnotgood

dsnotgood Member

Aug 25, 2010
    wahh TiVo moved it to the bottom wahh is all I read.

change to the SD menus and problem resolved.

I would hate to see how you react when your food order goes bad at a restaurant...

18. wdwms

wdwms Member

Jan 10, 2003
    What? that isn't even an apples to apples comparison! The point of the matter here is that after 13-14 years of something being up at the top, Tivo moved it and didn't give users a way to change it back to what they are used to.

For those who watch sports with scores at the top, there is rejoice. For those who watch news there is now grief.

Tivo should give the users a choice. Changing to SD menus is not the solution.

19. Grakthis

Grakthis New Member

Oct 4, 2006
    See, my suggestion would be that the TiVo knows when you have CC on, right? You are turning them on in the TiVo. So, the TiVo should automatically move the info box to make room.

I obv don't use CC, so maybe I am not understanding, but this does seem like a bug to me if TiVo is generating both the CC and the banner.

20. Jets

Jets Member

Sep 28, 2010
    On my 50" Plasma, when the banner comes up, there is just enough room underneath for the news ticker banner. Works out great for me.