Hate 8300HD, Need Help Please!!!

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by instill, Jul 2, 2006.

1. Jul 2, 2006 #1 of 73
    instill

instill New Member

Jul 2, 2006

Advertisements

I absolutely love Tivo, but I just can't go without HD recorded programs. In particular sports and Discovery specials. I've been using the Scientific Atlanta 8300HD from Cox for about seven months now and I'm losing my mind.

This equipment is junk. I even had Cox replace the system with a brand-new, fresh out of the box one because I couldn't believe the first wasn't defective. Turns out it really is just a terrible box with absolutely HORRID software. I then called Scientific Atlanta and asked those guys what the deal was and they told me they, and I quote, "never heard of anyone not liking the 8300HD." They even followed-up by adding, in response to my comments about how much better Tivo's guide works, with "We leave Tivo in the dust."

Amazing. How arrogant can these people possibly be? They have a clearly defective product that needs major work to even compete on the same level as Tivo and yet, they think it's perfect.

Obviously the 8300HD and anything else from Scientific Atlanta isn't going to go anywhere and I need to jump ship.

Which brings me to: I have Cox digital cable and I have absolutely no plans to ever go to satellite. I need an HD-compatible/recordable PVR, preferably Tivo/Tivo-based. Please tell me what to buy! I would rather not wait for the Tivo Series 3 (God, that has taken too damn long already!), but I will probably buy one of those once it comes out too. In the meantime, I need something NOW.

PLEASE HELP! Thank you!

2. Jul 2, 2006 #2 of 73
    tazzmission

tazzmission Active Member

Oct 15, 2002
    North...
    The Series 3 is your only option if you are staying with cable and want to record HD and not use the cable companies DVR. Only problem is the Series 3 is not out yet.

3. Jul 2, 2006 #3 of 73
    Adam1115

Adam1115 Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver ish
    The only HD TiVo is with DirecTV, since that's not an option, go buy a Series 2 DT TiVo, use your HD DVR ONLY for HD, use your SD for everything else including duplicating your HD programs in case it misses things...

4. Jul 2, 2006 #4 of 73
    darkwing

darkwing New Member

Jun 23, 2006
    What about a PC-based DVR, especially if it's temporary? I've heard good things about Snapstream and BeyondTV.

5. Jul 3, 2006 #5 of 73
    Runch Machine

Runch Machine New Member

Feb 7, 2002
    Minneapolis

Advertisements

Why don't you want to go to Satellite? I left cable 9 years ago and have no plans to go back. I did try the SA8000 a couple of years ago on Time Warner before Directv came out with their HD Tivo and it was horrible. It was as if they'd never heard of a DVR before. You'd think if one was going to come up with a competing product that you'd buy one from the competition learn how it works and improve on it. As you found out, that was not the case. If you can believe it, the SA8000 was even worse than the one you have now.

As soon as HD Tivo came out my wife pleaded with me to spend the money to get one and go back to Directv. I had suspended our account in order to give the SA8000 a try.

6. Jul 3, 2006 #6 of 73
    Adam1115

Adam1115 Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver ish
    I probably wouldn't advise the OP to go to satellite for the sole purpose of HD TiVo. If TiVo is the criteria, he will be forced to sign a two year contract and the HR10 will likely be phased out by the end of the year. (YES, I know it will still work, but I think the OP will be upset to learn that next year he can't buy a series 3 and is stuck with whatever pathetic offerings still work with the HR10...)

7. instill

instill New Member

Jul 2, 2006
    Thanks for the suggestions gang. I'm dying here. This 8300HD is driving me absolutely mad. At least 2 or 3 times this week I came within a hair of unplugging it and pitching it off my back deck.

Tonight I was watching a program I taped on Discovery HD and the system suddenly froze. The LCD then said, "F A I L". Just as I got up to go over and try to power cycle it, the box rebooted itself. Earlier in the week the box taped ONLY the first 5 seconds of all of my programs for the evening. Inexplicable.

Also, now about 1 in 5 programs record with a distinct popping/clicking sound that occurs about every 1 minute.

Keep in mind this is my SECOND brand-new, fresh out of the box 8300HD. Scientific Atlanta tells me the box is perfection and there is no sign of a new version coming any time soon.

Please TiVo, hurry up.

8. fastep

fastep New Member

May 21, 2004
    annapolis...
    Maybe three time's a charm.........or not. Good luck. It does sound like your second SA box is defective though.

You could also try a sony dhg HDD250 or 500. It records HD (works with cablecard) but only has one tuner. Do some research on it as some have had problems setting up and using the TV Guide On Screen (it downloads from local analog pbs stations).

9. DVRaholic

DVRaholic I love my Series 3

Mar 28, 2004
    Woodlawn-Bro...
    Same here, I suspended my account with Directv to go with cablevision and the Sa 8300HD DVR. Better picture quality with cablevision mostly on HD
    BUT...Worst experience ever!!! the second day the box rebooted itself in the middle of recording, This DVR likes to do this at least every 2 weeks, But the biggest problem I had was losing recordings!!

The final straw was Last weekend!!!
    We had 3 recordings of Rescue Me backed up so last Saturday night we opened a nice bottle of wine and planned on spending the next 2-3 hours or so catching up on our FAVORITE SHOW!! To our HORROR there was only one recording there, The SA8300HD Had EATEN the other 2 recordings!!
    %$#!@^&*!!!!!!

The next morning I was on the phone reactivating my account and canceling cablevision!!! Im not happy with the softer picture with Directv but at least I wont have the Worst aggravation of my DVR eating my recordings!!!!!

I might eventually go back to Cablevision when the Series 3 is released BUT it wont be for a while, Im a bit concerned about Cable Card. All I hear is Bad stories about cards not working properly and having to be constantly replaced. Until they are more stable I will stay with Directv.

10. reh523

reh523 New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Cable company STB can't output HD (only through component and HDMI). PC based DVR can only record OTA HD. They have no component or HDMI input. On a rare occasion you might get a firewire HD signal by "playing" with your STB.....

11. darkwing

darkwing New Member

Jun 23, 2006
    Certain PC tuner cards can also decode unencrypted QAM; that might allow another HD channel or two. In any event, given the OP's (justified) hatred for STB-style boxes, I assumed they were excluded; and in that case, I think PC-based solutions are superior.

12. hijammer

hijammer New Member

Aug 27, 2003
    You are forgetti that if you ask they are required to give you a cable box that supports outputtign fire wire.but that is another can of worms recoding that and transforming it to usable signal.

13. Runch Machine

Runch Machine New Member

Feb 7, 2002
    Minneapolis
    I am still curious...

The reason you won't try Directv and HD Tivo is____________.

I am amazed with how much people are willing to suffer with crappy cable box DVRs.

14. HomieG

HomieG Nowhere Man...

Feb 17, 2003
    Somewhere...
    With all due respect, I'd rather have a crappy HD DVR from the cable company than have the crappy picture quality that DirecTV continues to pump out. Picture quality affects every single TV show I watch. Considering the quality is only as good as the weakest link, DirecTV was the weakest link, for sure. Some folks may have DirecTV/DSS as their only option, and others may have crappy cable company service and quality. For me, DirecTV quality totally sucked, and they've been degrading it for several years. Maybe one day it was again be better, but I'd rather put up with a crappy user interface on a cable DVR, than crappy picture quality.

15. Runch Machine

Runch Machine New Member

Feb 7, 2002
    Minneapolis
    Except you are not the original poster with the DVR problem. I am not asking for your input. I have a 70" HDTV and am satisfied with the picture quality of Directv's HD Channels.

What good is a DVR if it doesn't record the shows you want? Then you can't see anything, regardless of slight variations in picture quality.

16. MarkBarbieri

MarkBarbieri New Member

Aug 15, 2005
    I'm in a similar situation. I've got DirecTv with 2 HD-250s. My house is in the woods and I can't get OTA HD. On Friday I has Time Warner install a couple of HD DVRs because I can't take another football season without an HD DVR. I don't consider ESPN HD an ESPN2 HD enough. I don't consider HD without a DVR good enough.

My problem is that I was in no way prepared for how pathetic the SA 8000 boxes I got would be. Wholly smokes, these things or horrible. One is having some obvious problems and now won't connect to digital content. The other works like I think it is supposed to, but I'm staggered by how bad it is. Maybe I just haven't learned to work it well yet, although the lack of a decent manual doesn't help.

In case others are considering it, here are the problems I'm having:

1) Can't remove stations from my list. There are lots of music stations, foreign language stations, shopping channels, and such that I never want to see. Why can't I get them out of the guide? Heck, I can't even keep stations that I don't subscribe to from showing up. Nothing's more fun than searching for a show my kids want, finding it, and then telling them that we don't actually get that station so we can't watch it.

2) The searching capability is in the stone ages. Forget about actor or keyword searches or wishlists. The best I can find is the ability to search by title or by title. Yeeha. Want to search more than a week in advance? Can't do it. If you want to search by title for a show, I have to no what day it is on because the search is limited to a day at a time. Why? Do they hate me?

3) If something was on earlier today and I want to set up a season pass for it, I can't do it. When I find it via the limited search capabilities and select it, instead of giving me recording options, it inexplicably assumes that I want to watch that channel right now and switches me to it. WTF?

4) My working unit decided to turn off last night and didn't record anything. Is it supposed to do this? Any idea why it would do this?

5) Sometimes when I'm changing channels, the PIP window magically appears. It's like it saves the PIP setting for a channel and if I go back that channel it pops up the PIP window. What's up with that?

I'm not sure that HD football is worth it. Maybe I should just ignore this season as well.

Has anyone used the SA 8000 and the new SD Direct PVR? Is the Direct one any better?

17. MarkBarbieri

MarkBarbieri New Member

Aug 15, 2005
    One more thing - lipsync. I watched my first recorded HD show last night. It was the tonight show. The audio was way out of sync. I used a feature on my receiver to adjust and got it acceptably close. Is this delay constant or will I have to adjust it with each different show? I never had this problem with my HD on Direct, so I'm assuming that it is yet another "feature" of the SA 8000 or cable.

18. Runch Machine

Runch Machine New Member

Feb 7, 2002
    Minneapolis
    I am curious if you have tried to get OTA stations. Just being in the woods is not a deal killer. It is also a function of how far you are from the transmitters. Do you get FM radio reception? Are you able to receive any analog TV stations? Have you checked antennaweb.org to see what they think you can receive over the air?

19. HomieG

HomieG Nowhere Man...

Feb 17, 2003
    Somewhere...
    Glad you are satisfied. I did not ask you that...

Next time why don't you just go ahead and list who you want to respond, or don't want to respond. Sorry I answered a post. Geesus.

Never had a problem with a record not occuring. Perhaps a different DVR and/or software.

Slight variations in PQ? Yea, right, whatever you say.

20. instill

instill New Member

Jul 2, 2006
    I bought a Directv package in 2001. I tried using the service for about 10 months but had intermittent service outages in even mild weather conditions (wind, rains, dust blows, etc.), was miffed by the inability to watch different programming in different rooms, less than stellar picture quality, and when I was told a second and maybe even third dish was required to receive additional local channels, I was done.

I honestly can't see myself going back to Directv ever again. Too many pitfalls. I like the concept of satellite, but it just can't compare on many levels to digital cable.

As for the DVR service on the other hand... Which when I really think hard about it, we only really watch recording programming and ondemand now. Does Directv even have ondemand?