Hatch's "Survivor" Tax Trial Twist

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by The Flush, Jan 25, 2006.

1. The Flush

The Flush Not So Notable Member TCF Club

Aug 3, 2005
    SO OH

Advertisements

Hatch's "Survivor" Tax Trial Twist By Sarah Hall
    Mon Jan 23, 1:44 PM ET

As it turns out, original Survivor winner Richard Hatch has a few tricks up his sleeve.

The reality champ's defense attorney dropped a bombshell Friday at Hatch's federal tax evasion trial, alleging that Survivor producers struck a deal with Hatch while he was a contestant on the show, agreeing to pay the taxes on his million-dollar prize if he won.

The bargain purportedly came about after Hatch allegedly caught some of his fellow contestants cheating by having friends sneak food to them on the island. He told producers, who ultimately attempted to buy his silence, the story goes.

Hatch testified he never ate anything during the competition that he didn't find or catch himself, or win as a reward.

The revelation of the alleged deal came during a break in Hatch's testimony when his lawyer, Michael Minns, told U.S. District Judge Ernest Torres of his plan to have Hatch testify about his bargain with the producers.

Torres did not immediately comment on whether Hatch could tell the jury about the deal, and Hatch's completed testimony for the day without mentioning the purported cover-up. It was not clear whether Hatch and Minns would bring up the Survivor allegations Monday.

Mark Burnett, executive producer of Survivor, took the stand earlier in the trial, but neither the defense nor the prosecution asked him about any deal he might have made with Hatch.

However, two of Hatch's fellow island inhabitants have spoken up, expressing their doubts about the veracity of his claims.

"I think he's just talking. What friends could bring them food? There ain't no friends on the island," former contestant Rudy Boesch told TMZ.com. "I don't know nothing about what he's talking about and I don't know why he's saying it. Everybody in the world saw him win a million dollars."

Boesch's sentiments were echoed by Dr. Sean Kenniff, another season one contestant.

"I never witnessed any cheating by Survivor contestants, Survivor producers or other Survivor staff," Kenniff said. "During my 36 days on the island, I lost about 30 pounds--fair evidence that I certainly wasn't the recipient of any prohibited food!"

But other sources told TMZ.com that there was cheating going on and that it was no secret.

"We had our own little area, a couple of hundred yards away from the contestants," a cameraman, who asked not to be named, told TMZ.com. "They [the contestants] would sneak in and we would see candy wrappers around their camp."

Another season one contestant who also asked not to be named said she frequently saw her competitors snacking on candy and Power Bars.

In addition to failing to report his reality television earnings, Hatch is accused of failing to pay taxes on hundreds of thousands of dollars of other income and spending money donated to a charity on himself.

Minns has argued that though his client is "not stupid," he is the "world's worst bookkeeper," and that his failure to give the IRS the proper cut of his earnings was merely an oversight.

If convicted, Hatch could face up to 75 years in prison and millions of dollars in fines. It remains to be seen whether he will be able to outwit, outplay and outlast the case against him.

2. zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    Doesnt matter what deal he struck with CBS. He is still responsible for paying the taxes.
    CBS is not H&R block guaranteeing they stand behind his tax return.

Even if he has a possible civil case against CBS that is totally separate from criminal charges by the government. His lawyers are such idiots for not negotiating a plea bargain.

3. scottykempf

scottykempf New Member

Dec 1, 2004
    Hatch found guilty

4. Anubys

Anubys All About Footwork

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...

Advertisements

if someone pays your taxes, doesn't that count as income to you? and then you have to pay taxes on THAT...

pretty interesting, though...

5. sushikitten

sushikitten LivingLippy.com

Jan 27, 2005
    Chicago-ish...
    What an idiot. Smart enough to win Survivor, but stupid enough to not pay taxes on it?

6. mwhip

mwhip All better

Jul 22, 2002
    Dallas
    I hope Hatch was smart enough to get a binding document from the producers. I am guessing he is trying to mislead the IRS.

7. The Flush

The Flush Not So Notable Member TCF Club

Aug 3, 2005
    SO OH
    What about the allegations that other contestants were stealing food from the crew?

The being found guilty for tax evasion was a no-brainer.

8. DreadPirateRob

DreadPirateRob Seriously?

Nov 11, 2002
    SoCal
    Yep - someone agreeing to pay your taxes for you as part of your "winnings" is most likely simply giving you more taxable income.

I think - and emphasize "think" - that if an individual agrees to pay the taxes for another individual, and the amount of the taxes paid is less than $10,000, then that would simply be a non-taxable gift. But I'm pretty sure that any agreement to do so as part of an employment contract or as part of winnings from a game show would be construed by the IRS as simply more income.

9. TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    I wonder if he will walk around naked in jail?

10. ScottE22

ScottE22 How YOU doin'?

Sep 19, 2003
    Fort...
    Probably not for long...

;)

11. InterMurph

InterMurph Member

May 22, 2003
    Gloucester, MA
    Exactly:

http://www.slate.com/id/2134674/?nav=navoa

Richard Hatch won the first season of Survivor by figuring out the game, and through the luck of being pitted against a bunch of dunces who couldn't figure out the game, even though he was demonstrating it to him.

But now he goes down as one of the dumbest people ever to appear on reality TV.

And here's one shocker: among the income he didn't report to the IRS was $328,000 he was paid for appearing on Boston radio. That's a lot of money for a part-time radio gig!

12. Turtleboy

Turtleboy Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 24, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale
    No, it's all taxable income, it's called "grossing up." There is an algebraic formula used to plug in the numbers.

13. Lee L

Lee L Got Basenji?

Oct 1, 2003
    Morrisville, NC
    Here is where his argument falls down. Did CBS also promise to pay his taxes on all the speaking engagments he would do over the next year or 2? The money he did not pay taxes on is not just the one million from Survior.

14. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    One of the jurors said as much: "Even if you take the 'Survivor' money out of there, there was still a lot of evidence"