Has Tivo improved speed of browsing the guide yet?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by NullQwerty, Mar 1, 2009.

1. NullQwerty

NullQwerty New Member

Jan 20, 2009

Advertisements

Hey folks,

I know in the past, the Tivo HD was known for not being too snappy/speedy when browsing the channel guide. Has this improved yet? Improved to the point that it's as fast as the normal cable company's box (referring to Verizon FIOS here...which isn't too snappy either)?

If not, is this an acknowledged issue that Tivo plans to fix/improve?

Thanks!

2. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    I don't know where you've heard this because it seems fine to me. I own two Replays and have rented the Comcast Moto DVR before and I don't think the HD is much slower (if any) browsing the guide. But I use the grid guide only.

3. NullQwerty

NullQwerty New Member

Jan 20, 2009
    I've read it a number of reviews. Official ones and customer reviews (like on Amazon). It's also been mentioned in many threads on this forum.

Some people say that it's only the first few days while the guide updates itself, but others say that it remains even after and in general is sluggish compared to some of the competition.

4. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    The interface on the THD generally feels sluggish to me compared to the S1 and S2 that I had. I haven't really seen any improvement. It's not a real big deal, but it's definitely something that has bugged me ever since I switched over to the HD.

5. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area

Advertisements

TiVo significantly improved performance in v9.4 and again in v11.0. Guide navigation is much faster in 11.0 than earlier releases, but it's still not on par with Dish Network receivers, which have the fastest guides around.

Most TiVos ship with the relatively slow v8.1.7 software from early 2007. Furthermore, all guide databases must be indexed in the background for the first ~48 hours after initial setup. The background indexing noticeably slows responsiveness during that period. Most users receive an update to the latest software (now 11.0) within 4-5 days, and guide data must be re-indexed for another ~48 afters after that update, temporarily slowing responsiveness again. The TivoHD does not reach full responsiveness until 48-72 hours after the v11.0 install.

TiVo is far more responsive than most other boxes when it comes to trickplay functions like 30sec skip, replay, FF, REW, etc.