Has the thumbs up/thumbs down option been gone for a while, or is it recent?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by eman926, Apr 27, 2019.

1. eman926

eman926 Member

Sep 5, 2016

Advertisements

Okay, I haven’t tried giving any shows a thumbs rating for a while until the other day but it seems that the only thing I can thumb rate are the channels themselves (and I can only “thumbs up” them, using “thumbs down” will only delete the “thumbs up” channel ratings). Since I haven’t used this feature in a while, how long has it been gone? Did the most recent update delete this feature by any chance? I really wanted to “thumbs down” a show for political reasons (I won’t get into it).

JashuaPatricio likes this.
  2. eman926

eman926 Member

Sep 5, 2016
    It’s a simple, short answer question... Anyone?

3. Mr Tony

Mr Tony formerly known as "unclehonkey"

Dec 20, 2012
    Mankato, MN
    still shows up on both my Roamio OTA and TivoHD when I select an item to record. It automatically gives it a thumbs up

4. eman926

eman926 Member

Sep 5, 2016
    Do you have either the old version of Hydra or the newest update though? I’m curious.

5. Mr Tony

Mr Tony formerly known as "unclehonkey"

Dec 20, 2012
    Mankato, MN

Advertisements

nope. The old TE3 software (not Hydra) on the Roamio and TivoHD is ancient ;)

6. eman926

eman926 Member

Sep 5, 2016
    I wonder if I lost that feature with the latest update.

7. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    They removed it with this last release. They are using algorithms like Netflix does for suggestions.

Noelmel likes this.
  8. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    But then, why doesn't it work? ;)

9. kdmorse

kdmorse Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 29, 2001
    Germantown, MD
    Nobody said they were doing it very well. ;)

TonyD79 likes this.
  10. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    I never thought the old TiVo algorithm worked very well either.

11. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    It used to until the past few years, I used to have it able to record only NASCAR Cup and Xfinity content but no other motor sports, that was a very impressive accomplishment.

12. exdishguy

exdishguy Active Member

Apr 30, 2004
    The thumbs up/down are iconic! It is a shame they've let this differentiator slip away into oblivion. But as others have said, it hasn't worked that well in recent years. I never understood why I couldn't use them on directly (without playing the recommended show) on Suggestions or What to Watch to improve what they are suggesting.

The problem with the Netflix-like algos is that I don't necessarily like everything I watch in Netflix. The thumbs up/down would be a great way to offer immediate feedback into the algorithm. Maybe they will get there someday.

13. realityboy

realityboy Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Netflix at least has thumbs up and thumbs down.

14. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    If you're referring to TE3's thumb system, it's continuing to work well for me here (am still on TE3), with recommendations being "valid" 80% of the time or higher. It might help that I try to remember to use thumbs on my shows, refining the system.

I most recently discovered the option under kmttg to review and modify the thumb ratings. I was surprised by the number of -3 ratings I had for shows I enjoy, as well as by some high ratings for (for me) nonsense shows--I suspect that I was holding the remote upside-down when giving those ratings, hitting the opposite thumb button. ;) Have corrected those and adjusted other ratings--will be interesting to see if I notice any change.

krkaufman likes this.
  15. exdishguy

exdishguy Active Member

Apr 30, 2004
    Very cool. I didn't know kmttg can do that!

16. exdishguy

exdishguy Active Member

Apr 30, 2004
    True. But wouldn't it be cool if Tivo could pass the key press directly to the "Rate This" within Netflix so that you don't have to go dig for it? Clearly there is some sort of API in place to allow for the searching of shows/movies, for instance. How hard could it be to also pass button-press thumbs up/down directly to the Rate this Show feature within Netflix?

Of course, one complication may be that Tivo allows up to 3 thumbs up/down to indicate if you like/dislike, really like/dislike, or really really like/dislike a show. Personally I would be fine with eliminating the extra two like/dislikes.

realityboy likes this.
  17. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Personally, I like the multiple tiers for thumbs--my "absolute favorite" shows are different from my "it's fine enough" shows, and it's nice to have a further middle ground between the two. Of course, who knows how much these affect the system.

What is discouraging is, the TE4 thumbs system just continues to languish, when the issues have been known for at least 11 months, now, and work on them had been undertaken. Perhaps it's all just been pushed way down on the list?

18. exdishguy

exdishguy Active Member

Apr 30, 2004
    It's a head scratcher for sure. Aside from the peanut shape, I'd dare say the Thumbs up/down are the most distinctive thing on a Tivo remote. Why they won't exploit that and improve and/or create an unfair advantage with them is beyond me.

Mikeguy likes this.
  19. exdishguy

exdishguy Active Member

Apr 30, 2004
    Just updated my thumbs up/down in kmttg and copied them over from my Roamio to Bolt. Thanks Mike!

krkaufman and Mikeguy like this.
  20. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    What’s the difference in the latest TE4 update? Haven’t Thumbs ratings been ignored since the release of TE4? Have they’ve now removed the mechanism!from the UI, as well?