Has the Premiere improved?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by neilio, Jun 10, 2011.

1. neilio

neilio New Member

Nov 8, 2005
    So I'm a fairly old (comparatively) TiVo user - the series 2 w/ lifetime I bought in 2004 is sitting in storage, gathering dust. We just got an OTA antenna installed and I've been pondering a return to the TiVo. Most of what I see about the TiVo Premiere has been negative, but a lot of this is from a year or more ago.

Has TiVo addressed the issues that I've seen people complaining about (new UI slowness, hangs, services that don't work, etc.)? Or should I just hook everything up to my Mac Mini and use EyeTV?

2. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    If the Premiere is a good, average, or bad product depends on the person you are talking too.

For me it is a good product and works very well for me as an OTA DVR. I have a HTPC permanently connected to my receiver so streaming doesn't mean much to me, but I do use Pandora on my Premiere and that works great. Tested Hulu+ and don't see much use for it but it works as good on my Premiere as it does on my HTPC. I also have no use for the HDUI. I use and like the SDUI.

Good Luck,

3. Frank_H

Frank_H New Member

May 21, 2011
    I am happy with mine. Much more storage than the Comcast DVR and easier to program.

4. aristoBrat

aristoBrat Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2002
    Va Beach, VA
    I run my Premiere with SD menus and it's been very stable. When kicking back on the couch, I prefer the TiVo interface/remote over the EyeTV interface/remote. With EyeTV, I miss the simple things like how the TiVo rewinds a little bit when you hit play while quickly FF'ing through a show, etc.

5. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    If the criteria is "improvement", then I'd have to say no. There's been little or no improvement. For a while after 14.8 with the remote lockups, things actually got worse. 60% of the time my bedroom premiere locks up during a boot (currently blamed on the bluetooth dongle).

It's as if the product was abandoned after launch. If it weren't for the fact that guide data updates keep coming, I'd think the company went out of business.

Now, on the other hand, there's not much wrong with the device to start with. It does pretty much everything previous boxes did and more. The HDUI is incomplete, although functional. Netflix and youtube are dated but seem to work (with the exception of youtube locking up my box twice). The SDUI is faster than SDUI on previous boxes. The iPad remote is a wonderful thing if you have an iPad.

If you're debating between a THD/S3 and a Premiere then it's a really a toss-up, depending on whether you're willing to put up with some bugs that seem to never get fixed and/or whether you have an iPad or want Hulu+.

6. elwaylite

elwaylite Member

Apr 23, 2006
    Theodore, Al.
    Keeping in mind I only use it for OTA recording, Amazon VOD and Nflix, and Ive only had it several weeks, I think it works perfectly.

The HD menus were a little laggy for me, but in SD it flies. It reminds me of the reliable TiVoHD XL it replaced, but is faster.

7. rahnbo

rahnbo Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Greenville, SC
    No, but its the best of the worst options so to speak.

8. trip1eX

trip1eX imo, afaik, feels like to me, *exceptions, ~aprox

Apr 2, 2005
    I think it would be a great OTA dvr. You dont' really have any other option unless you go the pc route with WMC or something which can have more features but I don't think it is near as "wife-proof."

9. ltxi

ltxi New Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Colorado
    PXL using SDUI has worked very well for me. It's been very reliable. Bought into it somewhere just over a year ago when Comcast digital upgrade forced me out of my S2s. Actually, the PXL was an "emergency" replacement for the second of two in a row failed, late production HDXLs. Has it improved? For me, maybe a bit/marginally. But I don't use or much care about the HDUI.

10. TheWGP

TheWGP Hmmm...

Oct 26, 2007
    I think it's hands-down a yes to the question "has Premiere improved since launch?" - but if you WANT to find something to harp about, sure, you can.

Are there things Tivo should be doing a better job of? Definitely. Customer communication is one of them - though I was heartened recently when TivoStephen actually posted to let us know the 14.8.U2 was rolling out to fix an issue. Updating the software and finishing the HD menus is another area that needs improvement - for example, the Netflix app is, I believe, the oldest and least functional Netflix client available on any device.

All that said, if your question is "should I get one?" I'd say the answer is still yes - the interface and features are solidly ahead of the other options available with the possible exception of building & running & maintaining your own HTPC.

Just my two cents - while a lot of the time I may dislike the updates and communication priorities of Tivo, I use my Premieres every day and wouldn't switch them for anything else (yet!).

11. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    If you use the old style UI the Premiere isn't bad. It's got a few flaws, and there are a few services that only work in the new UI, but it would be a suitable upgrade to your Series 2 provided you don't run into any CableCARD or Tuning Adapter issues.

However to answer your question... I'd say no. The core experience hasn't really improved much, if at all, in the last year+.

Dan

12. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Even with the HDUI it can be really good. I use the HDUI on all my Premieres. My only real problem is that I hate it when it swithes back to the SDUI for certain menus.

13. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    You should let that lifetimed unit connect to the mothership every couple of months to keep your Multi-Set Discount option alive.

14. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Most single tuner S2s can be used for OTA with a converter box.