Has DirecTv cabling technology advanced any over last 5 years??

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Stephen M. Smith, Jan 22, 2006.

1. Stephen M. Smith

Stephen M. Smith New Member

Mar 22, 2005
    Marina del...
    Has the DirecTv dish/LNB cable technology advanced any over the past 5 years or so?

Specifically, I have 2 RG-6 coax lines coming down from the 2 LNB dish on my roof down into the 2 tuners in my HDVR2. Now I want add a HR10-250 and keep the HDVR2 active as well. So I will have 4 tuners that need to talk to 3 LNBs.

1) Can I do this using only the 2 existing RG-6 coax lines?

2) For that matter, have they figured out a single cable solution to all this yet? ie. not necessarily coax but some other cable type?

3) What is LNB stacking exactly?

2. tomo_kun

tomo_kun DJT0M0.

Sep 8, 2003
    Mil-Town...
    It has advanced, but it has not changed the wire style.
    1. Yes you can, but you need a 2X4 multiswitch. I'd reccomend upgrading to the PhaseIII dish though for HDTV (Or the AT9 5LNB dish for MPEG4 future capabilities in HD).
    2. No.
    3. ?

3. Stephen M. Smith

Mar 22, 2005
    Marina del...
    Thanks for the info. So a 2x4 multi-switch would allow 4 tuners to connect to 3 LNBS using only 2 coax runs?

LNB stacking -- The installer menu of my H10 has a LNB configuration option that includes stacked, unstacked, and something else as options. I think this allows many tuners to connect to 1 dish w/o using a multi-switch, as in it's some new technology that replaces multi-switches?

4. maharg18

maharg18 Active Member

Dec 3, 2002
    Chattanooga, TN
    1. No, you will need to run 2 additional lines from the dish. A 2x4 multiswitch will not give you access to all the satellites, which you will need.

2. No

3. Stacking allows both odd and even transponders on one cable, but it is incompatible with multi-sat dishes.

5. Phantom Gremlin

Phantom Gremlin Active Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Tualatin,...
    With the current rollout of HD locals, DirecTV could have designed and deployed a smarter multiswitch at the dish. This would have allowed them to place individual transponders (instead of blocks of 16 transponders) onto the coax cable. By doing that they could have switched from requiring 4 coaxes from the dish to 1 coax from tha dish.

But, regretably, DirecTV chose not to be smart.

Regretably for DirecTV, because of bonehead decisions like that, I will switch to cable or FIOS once I can get an HD TiVo that works with those services.

6. ADent

ADent Active Member

Jan 7, 2000
    Denver, CO
    You can stack the regular DTV dishes. 101 is one sat, and 110 and 119 are combined into one virtual satellite (Sat C LNB kit does this). Not cheap though.

7. Stephen M. Smith

Mar 22, 2005
    Marina del...
    Aha. So that's what a "sat c" kit is? So which is cheaper: a Phase III dish w/built-in multiswitch or a sat C kit? And which is more reliable? I thought I saw somewhere that some people have odd issues w/channel changing using the sat c kits?

8. maharg18

maharg18 Active Member

Dec 3, 2002
    Chattanooga, TN

The Phase III is not much more, and it is definately more reliable. Many people have reported problems using the Sat c kit.

9. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    The Phase III dish integrates the 3 LNBs and the 4 output multiswitch which helps eliminate potential problems with connectors etc. The OP confused the matter by mentioning 2 LNBs and then 3 LNBs.

10. moxie1617

moxie1617 Member

Jan 4, 2004
    Chicago...
    If your HR10-250 and HDVR2 are located next to each other, you don't have to run two additional cables. Place the 2x4 multiswitch next to the equipment.

11. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Sorry, that will only get you the 101 satellite.

You need separate lines from the dish or multisiwtch in order to get 110 and 119 for the HR10-250.

12. JohnTivo

JohnTivo Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Carlsbad, CA
    This will only allow his units to see the Sat at 101. For most people, this is okay with regards to the HDVR2. But the HR10 needs to see all three sat positions, so it is not an option here.

Bottom line, replace the dish and run two extra runs.

Jim beat me to it... :)