Has anyone successfully made their update phone call with a VOIP service?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by joellyn, Nov 10, 2005.

1. joellyn

joellyn New Member

Nov 6, 2005
    And if so, please tell me your setup!

2. PLAYSw/SQUIRRELS

PLAYSw/SQUIRRELS New Member

Nov 10, 2005
    I have VONAGE. I found these directions in one of the threads (can't remember which one) and it's worked successfully everytime for me. Here it is:

Go to DIRECTV Central
    Messages & Setup
    Settings
    Phone
    Edit Phone Settings
    Dial in Number: xxx-xxxx (Keep the number you already have.)
    Dial prefix: 2122773895 (This is the TiVo number in New York - a free call since VoIP has free long distance.)
    Call waiting prefix: *70,#034 (Note the comma before pound sign.)
    Tone/pulse: Tone
    Phone avail detection: Off
    Dial tone detection: Off
    Then make a test call.

3. KrazyKevin

KrazyKevin New Member

Oct 31, 2003
    Liberty, TX
    This has worked for many on here and seems the to be the best overall settings, but, :( it hasn't worked for me.

4. AMike

AMike Member

Oct 22, 2004
    Metro Atlanta
    I just had my phone telephone number switched to Vonage yesterday. I had read on a Vonage forum how to make your Tivo dial out using VOIP. Here's the link:

http://www.vonage-forum.com/home-wiring-installation-guide.html

The quick and dirty version of how I did it:
    1. I unplugged the telephone wires in the Telephone Interface Unit box on the side of my house.
    2. After connecting the ethernet connection to the Vonage adaptor, I then connected the adaptor to an existing phone jack.
    3. I then began using the phones in my home like normal.
    4. I then had each of my Tivo's dial out without incident.

Edit: I didn't see the above responses, so I guess I was slow on the draw. One thing I should mention is that I have not changed any of my settings, and I have not had problems with either of my Tivo's dialing out at least at this time.

5. DesignDawg

DesignDawg New Member

Aug 9, 2005
    My TiVo dials out perfectly with default settings over Vonage. I think the main secret is what Vonage adapter you have. The new ones seem to work like a champ. The old ones, not so much.

6. kbohip

kbohip New Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Colorado...
    Which dvr? I have to use completely different settings to get my R10 and HR10-250 to work.

7. llowrey

llowrey New Member

Nov 11, 2005
    I have somehow managed to get my R10 to work with Vonage without any problems. I only have *99 as a dialing prefix and I'm dialing a local number. I have a year old RT31P2 that has a lot of whitenoise on the line. The old 'phone off the hook on line 2 trick' solved that problem for me. Newer firmware revisions have reduced the noise but it is still there if I unhook the phone from line 2. I don't know if this helps at all but I have not had any problems with my R10 making calls.

8. snoop

snoop Member

Oct 9, 2002
    I have at&t callvantage. More expensive than vonage but IMO better call quality, better customer service and they could port my local number while vonage wanted me to use one from a town 40 miles away.

R10 calls go through with no special settings or changes, box stock setup. I dont even have to enable the 'fax/modem support'. Note that my old series 1 did require the fax/modem option turned on, but worked fine with that. Seems the r10 modem has much lower demands than the series1 modems do.

9. trnsfrguy

trnsfrguy Advanced !

Apr 28, 2005
    Bronx, NY
    Has anyone had any success with Packet8 ?

10. Joe Davis

Joe Davis New Member

Oct 9, 2004
    I use Vonage and the default DTV settings in my R10 and it works perfectly!

11. formulaben

formulaben Formula Tivo Racing

Jan 27, 2003
    Les Bois
    I've got Comcast voice and I'm having the same problem with my HDVR2.

12. Schwegel

Schwegel New Member

Nov 11, 2005
    I keep getting call interrupted before the new software load can complete a download, I have vonage and have tried multiple settings, any other suggestions?

13. mey

mey New Member

Dec 20, 2003
    Go BUCK'S !!
    I have ATT Callvantage, mine works fine. I did not change a thing.

14. jimmymiko

jimmymiko Just another day!

Mar 29, 2003
    Walworth NY
    I have Tivo, Fax, and Modems that all dial out on vonage without issues. I think it all depends on your area. I have Road Runner and live in the burbs.

15. Big Deficit

Big Deficit Happy now?

Jul 7, 2003
    My 3 series 1 Tivos have had no problem with Sunrocket over the last couple of months, I just chose a dial up # near Sunrockets Reston VA headquarters. OTH, Sunrockets service in general has slid quite a bit since I signed on :thumbsdown:

16. feeneyp

feeneyp New Member

Nov 12, 2005
    If you have the Motorola adapter that Vonage is now sending out you can make a successful tivo call. All I did was buy a signal splitter that enables me to run a phone line from my Motorola adapter to both my phone and my tivo. I also had to change my call in number from a local 410 number to a New York 212 number before I could make a successful call.

You can find a signal splitter at Home Depot for a few bucks. I suggest you buy the in line splitter. This requires you to plug a short phone line into the back of the Motorola adapter. You then plug that line into the inline splitter. This will give you two jacks running into your voip phone line. Hook one jack to your phone and run a line from the other jack in the splitter to your tivo. I couldnÂ’t get the splitter that plugs directly into the Motorola adapter to work because it was too bulky and partially blocked from making a good connection by the power cord for the Motorola adapter.

Then just follow the directions already posted here for changing you call in number to a 212 number. One you get to the edit phone page you can type in the 212 area code and tivo will pull all the 212 numbers available to you for call in. I just picked the first one on the list (Northern Manhattan). Worked like a charm.

17. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    I tried all of the different settings and never could get it to work. My suggestion... don't jack with doing it this way. I would just use PPP and connect that way. If you're just trying to update the software to 6.2... this should work.

Just do a search for PPP on this site for more information.

18. bobru

bobru New Member

Jan 30, 2005
    I have a Standalone Toshiba Series 2 RS-TX20 DVR; charter broadband; Vonage Voip; and Directv.

My question is, the wireless phone/modem jack. I got $70 unit by SBC (model SB0900) that is up to 56k modem connection.

My question is, am I better off keeping this one, or getting one of the cheapy RCA units I see on ebay for $25. Any difference as far as the Tivo goes?

Thanks!

19. JnApop

JnApop I'm a delivery boy!

Feb 26, 2004
    North Denver
    I got qty 2 Phillips 7000's from Weakness to supplement my Series 2.

Ordered a Fax modem line from Vonage. Had 'em set the packet size to 30 (did it with an email request).

Hooked up system #1, made the initial setup call using these parameters:

DIAL PREFIX: *99,1 212 277 3895,,,,
    CALL WAITING: #1200

Worked like a champ.

Hooked up second unit, same experience.

Now to see how daily calls go, not that I care the least, going on over 365 with my original Unit without a daily call.

20. bcronin

bcronin Member

Dec 28, 2001
    The...
    AT&T CallVantage (with the Centillium TA) worked fine with my series 1 GXCEBOT. For my series 2 Philips DSR708 I had to turn on fax/modem support to get it to work. I have my calls going to the NYC number. Not sure if thats necessarily required, but its irrelevant as it costs no more than calling any other number and I didn't have the time/patience/reason to experiment with anything else. Oh and at first with CV I had a crummy LinkSys router/TA that had horrible noise issues. I simply could not get ANY TiVo calls to work. I insisted AT&T replace the LinkSys and have been happy ever since. Excellent call quality with the Centillium.