Has anyone successfully installed 2 cablecards into TivoHD?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by frankthetank, Jul 31, 2007.

1. frankthetank

frankthetank New Member

Jul 27, 2007
    Fairfax, VA

Advertisements

I'm trying to find out if anyone has successfully installed 2 cablecards into TivoHD

2. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Mostly what I have seen reported here so far for TivoHD users is trouble getting 2nd cablecard working without pixellation. Sounds like a poll is in order.

3. 20TIL6

20TIL6 BaDoop BaDoop BaDoop

Sep 7, 2006
    Cypress, TX
    I have two installed. Just did it yesterday. No problems at all. Even seems Comcast has gotten better with activation since the ones I installed in my S3 units a while back. I used to have to wait 24 hours before all my channels came in, but yesterday on the TiVo HD, all the channels came in immediately.

4. knownzero

knownzero Seeker

Feb 26, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I have two cable cards installed and working, also have pixellation issues (see my tivo hd problems thread).

5. WeBoat

WeBoat Member

Nov 6, 2002
    SWFL

Advertisements

Issues with both cards not getting encrypted channels. Second card has much higher pixelation than first card. Strength meter is 100.

Comcast coming back this afternoon with 5 or more cards to try.

6. jmagilto

jmagilto Dum Dum

Dec 30, 2003
    Now in...
    I have 2 comcast cable cards and no issues.

7. Tallguy001

Tallguy001 Member

Sep 5, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    I have 2 cards in (Time Warner-Milwaukee). Card one has some minor pixelation here and there while card 2 has severe pixelation on all digital channels (except local HD).

8. Illrigger

Illrigger New Member

Jul 26, 2007
    Set up my THD last night, local cable company, two CableCARDs, install was a snap. Other than a few dropouts on HD channels, no problems whatsoever. I recorded Hell's Kitchen and The Closer simultaneously, both in HD, and there were maybe two graphical glitches/dropouts in each show, lasting less than a second each. I figured this was just an "early adopter" glitch that will be fixed in future software.

9. KiddSupreme

KiddSupreme New Member

Dec 17, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Ditto on the 2nd cablecard pixelation issue. See the story in the Cox CableCard thread.

10. bare-a-kuda

bare-a-kuda _tivo ARCHITECT

Sep 7, 2005
    38.96N, -94.27W
    Same here. Got mine installed yesterday, but I have a lot of pixelation issues on my premium and HD channels. I can't seem to figure out how to solve the issue? Is it internal to the tuner hardware or is it the CableCard?

Had my local cable co hit it several times as I swapped the cards between tuners, but no luck!! :mad:

Any suggestions?

11. tw144

tw144 New Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Bronx
    Ditto from Bronx Cablevision/scientific atlanta-land on problems with 2nd slot cablecards. Heavy pixelization on almost all channels, including ones that Cablevision does not even encrypt. However, Slot one card is mostly fine, with only small pixelization every now and then.

In my case, we took a cablecard that worked 100% fine in my plasma tv cablecard slot, put in into the tivo HD slot#2 (rebound it to new host id, made sure card went to authorized state, etc), and when we were done, all we got was very heavy pixelization on many channels.

We put that card back into the Plasma TV, rebound, hit, etc, and that same card now works 100% fine again. Sure seems like a problem on the Tivo side.

12. seraxell

seraxell New Member

Jul 31, 2007
    Same problem, Minneapolis/Comcast with Sci Atlanta cards. Any encrypted channel on the 2nd card is pixelated. Non-encrypted SD and HD channels work fine on the same card. Comcast has tried 4 cards, including a card that works correctly in the first slot, and they all exhibit the same problem. At this point, it seems like it's a TiVo issue with the Sci Atlanta cards. bummer.

13. megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    It does look like a TiVo issue - I'd wait to see if TiVo pushes a patch or says anything. You have 30 days to return it if they don't fix it within that window.

14. Tallguy001

Tallguy001 Member

Sep 5, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    I had a few more cards attempted in slot 2, to no avail. Time Warner here also uses Scientific Atlanta cards. My signal strength is fine and my old 8300HD works fine on all channels.

The date on each card is from December 2006. As Megazone suggested, I will give it a couple of more weeks to see if a patch comes through, otherwise I will have to return the unit.

15. joneSi

joneSi New Member

Mar 28, 2004

What thread is that? Can't seem to find it, even with a search.

joneSi

EDIT: Found it by being smart and searching your username. Here it is for those that are out there in TiVo land.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=360771

16. robreams

robreams New Member

Feb 17, 2003
    I took two Comcast cablecards that have been working in my Series3 without issue & installed them in my TivoHD. No issues in the TivoHD to date.

17. Tallguy001

Tallguy001 Member

Sep 5, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Seems like the majority of people having the problem are having problems with the 2nd slot and are using Scientific Atlanta cablecards. I'd be interested to see if anyone with Motorola or other an another brand is having this issue.

18. WeBoat

WeBoat Member

Nov 6, 2002
    SWFL
    Comcast back for a second 4 hour stint yesterday. Changed out SA cards for motorola cards. After 3 hours, the person on the phone did a "HARD" hit to the cards. Not the normal initialization. This caused the encrypted channels to start working.

Now I've got everything working on both cards EXCEPT for 5 HD channels that are on their own tier. Techs are back today for the third time.

19. knownzero

knownzero Seeker

Feb 26, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Mine are Motorola Cable Cards and I'm getting pixellation as well.

20. audiowizard

audiowizard New Member

Mar 25, 2005
    Sometimes, CableCARDS just DONT work.

My Comcast installer had 8, out of which, only 2 worked......