Has anyone ordered an X1 DVR plan online?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by schatham, Jun 18, 2019.

1. schatham

schatham Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2007
    I ordered triple play and it includes a free DVR. I intend to keep the Tivo also. I guess they will charge $10 for the card unless I return the DVR.

Has anyone done this and do they kill the cable card when setting up the DVR? I don't want to go through another cable card set up procedure.

I did this to get a new deal, not for the DVR, but with On Demand ending I might as well keep it. I chose to keep my own modem, how will the phone work with that? Do they send a phone to plug in or use your own, if it even works with my router. I don't care much about the phone if it won't work with my router. Triple Play was cheaper than double play.

I lucked out with free self install kit and free 2 day shipping.

Thanks

2. giomania

giomania Member

Aug 25, 2017
    Triple Play requires an eMTA (modem with phone jack built in), and you just connect your own phone.

Most likely, they will mail you an eMTA and start charging you $10 per month rental fee.

If you return that in favor of your own modem, they could tell you an eMTA is required.

They tried to sell me triple play deal over the phone and insisted that the self-install kit comes with the eMTA, and I would have to go to the store to return it so I turned them down.

The savings for me was not that great because I have the most basic video I can have along with Internet.

Let us know what happens.

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3. schatham

Mar 17, 2007
    Thanks for the phone info, I just won't use the phone.

During checkout I selected use my own modem, so they should not ship one. It did a little scan when I selected this and said ok. It also showed all the pricing and estimated bill, no modem showing. This is what I then agreed to.

giomania likes this.
  4. DeltaOne

DeltaOne Mount Airy, MD

Sep 29, 2013
    About 18 months ago I signed a two year deal at my local Comcast office for triple play. Saved about $40 a month over my old double play deal.

Long story short, had some trouble with the eMTA and tried to return it. Was told it could not be returned since I was using it for 911 telephone service. They gave me a new eMTA and said it would work better. I never installed the new eMTA, electing to use the Docsis 3 modem I owned.

About three months ago I was dealing with a cable card issue and talking to a rep in the cable card center. While chatting, I mentioned the eMTA I wasn't using. He offered to take it off my bill...and subsequent bills have been $10 a month lower. He recommended returning the eMTA to my local office, but I haven't done that yet.

My triple play deal expires later in July, I plan on visiting my local office and seeing what they can offer me.

giomania likes this.
  5. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    at some point I tried to do a triple play 'deal' with phone but never got/set up their modem.. and IIRC, at some point my bill changed. I don't THINK it went up, but I think I was switched to some other promo that had the same channels/was the same price, so I didn't care.. but it was weird that something changed.

You ___MIGHT___ be able to get the equivalent of standard basic channels with a cable card you have. i.e. paying for the cablecard hardware but not the additional outlet fee.

6. BNBTivo

BNBTivo Active Member

Sep 7, 2015
    A "home phone" is still a thing?!?!?!

eman926 likes this.
  7. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    It is for us (VoIP service through Vonage but looking to switch to Ooma). I'm not giving my cell phone number to anyone except those that I really trust and want to reach me directly.

Scott

NorthAlabama likes this.
  8. Darrell Patton

Darrell Patton Member

Jul 19, 2018
    I've had an Ooma with basic service for a couple of years now. It's been great for me.

NashGuy and HerronScott like this.
  9. chiguy50

chiguy50 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Ooma is great. The basic service is a steal, but we have the Premier upgrade for an additional $10 p.m. and feel it is well worth it for the added features.

HerronScott likes this.
  10. chiguy50

Nov 9, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    FWIW, that rental fee is currently $13 plus tax, so actually closer to $14 p.m.

giomania likes this.
  11. chiguy50

Nov 9, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    It would be silly to keep the Comcast DVR if your only rationale is access to XoD and it winds up costing you an additional $120 p.a.

For $50 or less you can buy a Roku 4K streaming stick that provides all the apps you will likely ever need, to include XoD and HBO GO (via your Comcast subscription).

12. spiderpumpkin

spiderpumpkin Say no to Hydra!

Dec 1, 2017
    A couple months go I upgraded my account online. I ordered the $159.99 Gigabit/Premiere TV/Phone triple play package. That’s the same price I was paying for Double Play with 150/5 internet. Price will increase to $180 in two years.

They shipped me the 4K X1 box that I like having for recording sports and the on demand is nice too. Sometimes my 6-tuner 3TB Tivo Bolt Vox runs into conflicts on certain days when a lot of things are on that I want to record. X1 came in handy to record all the NHL and NBA playoff games for instance.

I ended up buying the Netgear C1150v Docsis 3.1 voice modem on Amazon for $199.99. I have no intention of ever using a phone with the modem but it allows me to get the triple play deal with Gigabit. I mainly wanted the gigabit internet for the higher upload speed.

My Tivo cablecard was deactivated when I activated the X1 but I easily reactivated the card by contacting ComcastCares on Twitter. Took like 5 minutes and card was working again. I’m paying $7.45 a month for the cablecard.

WVZR1 likes this.
  13. WVZR1

WVZR1 Active Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...
    Thanks for that info - I did a visit to the Xfinity store and I'm waiting an email from the CSR confirming that the 'TEXT' feature will be included with the voice option. I had that service for 2+ years and @ renewal time they told me the PC TEXT would cost me an additional $40+ - I bailed @ that time to just Internet and went to Layer3TV - I'd be happy I believe to get 2 years more from my Roamio 3TB. Have you seen an additional charge for the 2d 'outlet' or just the $7.45 CC Fee. With just a couple months experience maybe the invoicing hasn't settled yet. Voice without PC TEXT was useless for me - don't speak.

14. schatham

Mar 17, 2007
    DVR is included, the CC would be charged $10. I may or may not keep it, but it will add to my recording space. I'm curious to compare them also.

15. KevTech

KevTech Active Member

Apr 15, 2014
    Yes, a lot of the current packages now include the X1 DVR for no additional fee.
    Comcast just started doing this so it may be one more way they are trying to get people to stop using 3rd party DVRs.

16. schatham

Mar 17, 2007
    They did not send a Modem just a cable box that won't activate. Spent an hour on the phone and still no go, so I need to swap it out, yea Comcast. At least my Tivo is working with the new channels, digital preferred from digital economy.

giomania likes this.
  17. spiderpumpkin

Dec 1, 2017
    Just the $9.95(-$2.50) cablecard fee and that is basically an additional outlet fee. I did get a phone number with the voice service that is basically just sitting there unused online and I tested it a few times to see how it all works in the Xfinity Connect app. It does have texting both in the app and on XFINITY.com voice section.

WVZR1 likes this.
  18. spiderpumpkin

Dec 1, 2017
    They probably have to deactivate the cablecard first and then add it again after activating the X1 cable box.

19. schatham

Mar 17, 2007
    I figured out the problem, but Comcast won't believe me and change it. They made me spend another hour trying to activate it.

The issue is the internal serial # is different than the stamped one on the back of the box. The stamped one is the one Comcast has been trying to activate.

The last digit is 2 on the stamp but 1 internally. At one point the serial, mac, etc came up on the screen and that's when I noticed it. So I need to replace the box.

Probably good they would not change it to a 1 because it would not match when I returned it.

20. schatham

Mar 17, 2007
    Swapped boxes and the new one works. One nice touch is the remote automatically sets up the TV power, volume and input.

I moved my Roamio to the bedroom and put the mini in the living room with the X1.