Has anyone heard this BULLCRAP about Time Warner dropping Comedy Central, MTV, etc.?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by theSTEREO., Dec 31, 2008.

1. theSTEREO.

theSTEREO. New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Unbelievable. There is a scrolling message on all Viacom stations on Time Warner Northeast Ohio with an outrageous message.

Time Warner's stingy @$$ is refusing to renew their Viacom agreement and subsequently, all Viacom channels will go black tonight.

I'm outraged as a Time Warner customer. Here is the statement released by Viacom:

Link

At&t U-Verse is going to be getting a real friendly call from me tomorrow.

2. roadiemoose

roadiemoose New Member

May 3, 2008
    Same problem down here in Florida with Brighthouse Networks.. I've got the scrolling message too... They give an 800 # to call and complain but it's been busy for the last hour...

Seems like Brighthouse and TWC are being stupid.. I pay way to much for the setup I have for Brighthouse to be complaining about fees they have to pay to Viacom... $103 a month for 2 cable cards(for my TivoHD), a digital box and high speed internet... All I subscribe to are digital channels, no other premium channels... I think AT&T is getting a call from me too... Wish Verizon would come over to the east coast already..... :mad:

moose

3. Millionaire2K

Millionaire2K Active Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Philadelphia
    Yeah this is being seen on all networks but like you said it only affects Time Warner. I think it would be a shame for people to have to lose so many chs while two major companies fight over our money.

4. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    That's crazy.... why even have cable then???

5. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    Actually, the mob has decided to make Viacom the devil, this time, and hail TWC for trying to hold prices down. Viacom is insisting on fee increases of between 22 and 36 percent per channel, which TWC would simply pass-along to you. So you're bashing the wrong company, this time.

In reality, neither side warrants your symbol-cussing. Both sides are doing what they are supposed to, operating in the best interests of their investors. Yes, sometimes viewers get the short-end of the stick in business. That's life.

So perhaps the side you choose to bash has something to do with who's public statement you read first? It is interesting to see how PR can be (ab)used to manipulate readers.

6. Turtleboy

Turtleboy Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 24, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Someone will blink first, and soon. Or they will reach a deal.

7. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Time Warner should just drop all the channels. Then Viacom will change their tune. Otherwise it will be another excuse for TW to raise rates again.

8. jcondon

jcondon Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Easy to pick either side. If you can switch to DirecTV or FIOS.

Cable companies can pick to drop whatever. And you can pick to drop them. At the end of the day there are certain channels I want. If cable isn't going to carry it and I can switch to someone who will....

I dropped Cablevision years ago when they refused to pick up YES. I really don't care if YES was asking too much or if Cablevision was being cheap or both. I switched to DirecTV which some how was able to afford this channel and still be slightly cheaper on the TV side of the service. As soon as I could FIOS Internet I dropped CV altogether.

If this goes on for long just switch if you can. They know they will lose customers if this is a long time issue. Maybe some day we will be able to just pay for the channels we want and not have to take tons of crap we don't.

That said I don't think I would seriously miss any of the MTV channels. Would be nice though if they don't carry these channels to drop everyones bill a few cents since they aren't paying what they used to pay.

9. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    The problem with switching is that this sort of thing could happen with any provider. Short of getting a full listing of all contracts your intended provider has with the various networks you care about, you could find yourself having to switch again after a short period of time. You could end up feeling a bit like a ping-pong ball; and of course, there are costs associated with switching (especially to satellite, where they sometimes charge fees up-front, especially for extra boxes beyond the first one or two).

There is no good answer here, other than nationalizing video distribution services, which would be an anathema within a capitalist society.

10. dylanemcgregor

dylanemcgregor Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2003
    Corner of...
    I think the answer is clear and is already happening, bypass the cable provider entirely and get content directly over the internet. It seems like most of Comedy Central shows are available via Hulu already, and I assume that the other Viacom channels are similar.

Of course this depends upon at least a weak form of network neutrality, where Time Warner Cable can't decide to suddenly block all Viacom websites because their TV division has a contract dispute.

11. Enrique

Enrique Well-Known Member

May 15, 2006
    I was with DirecTv for over 4-5 years and that never happen, and in the 2 years that I haven't had DirecTv I have never heard anything about them dropping a high profile channel like Dish and Cable have.

12. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    We CAN'T -- online they are not complying with the ADA. Networks and production companies should not be allowed to undercut the current model by offering content online for free specifically because it hurts traditional video distributors and only through traditional video distributors is content made available in full compliance with the ADA. Until online video delivery fully complies with the ADA, it should not be allowed to compete in the marketplace, as a matter of public policy, in the public interest.

And again, as a matter of public policy, in the public interest, they should be allowed to do so, with impunity.

13. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    I have been with Comcast (and its predecessors) for over ten years -- are you suggesting that that means that Comcast could never get into a similar dispute with a content provider?

14. Test

Test Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2004

He's bashing the wrong company this time? Because the mob says so? Where did you get your numbers of 22 and 36 percent per channel? Did TWC put out a press release that the OP neglected to read/post?

15. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    Yes. It must be embarrassing.

Well, no; that was a joke. He's bashing the wrong company this time, because Viacom is in the wrong, competing with their own partners, for starters, and doing so ina manner so as to exclude the hearing impaired. There is no defending Viacom this time (and yes, I have defended Viacom in the past).

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28446829/

Do the math yourself, if you wish. The per-channel fees were just posted on avsform.com's Hot Off the Press thread. I love how Viacom's rep couldn't even do the math. :rolleyes:

16. Enrique

Enrique Well-Known Member

May 15, 2006
    No, but DirecTv has a long history of not dropping channels.

17. Test

Test Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2004
    So that's a no to the TWC press release?

18. Test

Test Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2004
    Another question...

Is Viacom raising their prices for ALL cable providers or just TWC? Is TWC the only one not willing to pay?

19. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    Evidently, so does Comcast, so since you're asserting that DirecTV's past history indicates something about their future performance, isn't that also supporting the contention that Comcast's past history indicates something about their future performance? My point is very specific: If you're going to rely on past history, it applies generally. The general unwillingness to extend that to include Comcast (which, I assure you, is not just your own) indicates an acknowledgment that past history does not indicate anything about future performance.

In other words, don't rest easy that DirecTV won't remove channels if the network tries to boost them for a higher fee than DirecTV feels is warranted. They're a business. They're not your friend. They're going to make decisions in the best interests of their owners, not you.

20. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    I have no idea... who cares about a press release, when there is a news story. :rolleyes: Not that news is totally unbiased, but surely it is more reliable than a press release issued by one side in a dispute. !