Has anyone heard that FLASHFORWARD has already been canned by ABC?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by gastrof, May 27, 2010.

1. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.

Advertisements

I read on another message board that it was announced a few days ago. I haven't heard anything, tho'.

2. rgr

rgr Member

Feb 21, 2003
  3. TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    Its been posted in the cancelled thread above

4. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
  5. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
  6. marksman

marksman ID-10-T

Mar 4, 2002
    seems like it would be impossible to cancel. Couldn't the producers just keep going back or forward in time and changing to still being on the air?

7. cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    I was WAY behind, partly due to lack of time and I ended up just deleting all my eps since it seems like the show hasn't really gotten any better either. Oh well...

I'd heard about the cancellation first from threads here.

8. Peter000

Peter000 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    It's not ABC's fault it got low ratings.

And really the only cliff-hangery thing about it for me was whether

Benford survived the explosion. Otherwise we got to see all of the ways the different flash-forwards played out in real life. And even some hints about the future of several characters.
    I was barely following it as it was... I actually skipped several episodes until the last two. It would be interesting to hear how the producers intended the series to go.

9. LlamaLarry

LlamaLarry Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 30, 2003
    Northern...
    Thanks, now I can free up the 7 episodes sitting on my DVR. I really wanted to like the show, but struggled to watch as many as I did.

10. LifeIsABeach

LifeIsABeach Active Member

Feb 28, 2001
    Drexel Hill, PA
    I watched the show when it first came on and liked it a lot. When it left the air for several months for no apparent reason I lost interest and never went back. Glad now that I didn't.

11. ronsch

ronsch Active Member

Sep 7, 2001
    Tallahassee,...
    I haven't made it up to the start of the post-break episodes yet so I just can can the rest.

12. barbeedoll

barbeedoll New Member

Sep 26, 2005
    Actually, like some of the rest of you, I let 6 or 7 episodes (whatever it was after they came back from the break) languish on my TiVo. I just couldn't get myself interested in sitting through them.

Then I was sick for 3 weeks and after watching every possible thing there was to watch I finally watched FlashForward.

These episodes were actually good, or at least seriously improved. Much, much, much better than the weak episodes just before the break.

So, you might consider saving or resurrecting them from the Recently Deleted bin for the dry summer months -- unless you are short on hard drive space.

Barbeedoll

13. catcard

catcard MoxiDVR

Mar 2, 2001
    Honey...
    I watched all the episodes and it was an ok series. Not that concerned that it will not have a 2nd season - apparently there were many people who also felt this way.

14. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    I wonder how many viewers were lost because of the hiatus and not the quality of the show. When I heard that FF and V would both have long mid season breaks, I just let the recordings build up instead of watching the first few only to have it cancelled without getting a full season. I watched FF but still haven't gotten to V yet.

15. ronsch

ronsch Active Member

Sep 7, 2001
    Tallahassee,...
    I've just watched the pre-break episodes of V too but I liked it quite a bit, definitely more so than FF, Sanctuary, SG: U.

16. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I don't understand this. It's been known for several months that the chances of FF being renewed for a second season were extremely slim and practically non-existent. How could you go through the whole season not knowing that it was getting such atrocious ratings that it's a miracle they even let it finish out it's first season?
    I agree with Barbee. I actually enjoyed the show, and thought the quality was much better once they came back from break. It still wasn't top notch, but it was worth a watch if you've got the time this summer. And the ending wasn't really much of a cliffhanger at all. I felt satisfied with the way it ended.

17. marksman

marksman ID-10-T

Mar 4, 2002
    I will add my own thoughts on this, since I did not watch it, but I started recording and saving early episodes.

When networks go yanking shows off early or putting them on hiatus, that is bad news to me, which makes me less likely to watch the show. I already have to balance what I want to watch. If the network is not showing any confidence in the show, I am just at some point going to erase it before even giving it a chance, because it is not worth bothering.

This goes back to my whole thing about the networks need to keep shows and run them out for their initial run and stop monkeying with them. If a show is not an instant hit they don't give it a chance. It is possible for a show to find an audience or word of mouth to build halfway through a season. If you yank it off the air, you lose a good portion of people who watched it, and who might have been interested in it later on.

I don't know how anyone can claim when the networks do this kind of stuff it is a smart move.

18. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    Cue Bicker in 3, 2, 1...

19. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    While I'll agree that it's possible for a show to grow midseason, it's very rare. And when the ratings for a show are plummeting like they were for FF, and when the creative direction of the show is clearly questionable, what choice does the network have? They can keep it going as is, and watch the ratings continue to slide, or they can pull it for a few months, do some retooling, and try to launch it again. Neither option is great, and both are likely to lead to a canceled series at the end of the season, but at least in this situation, I think there was more potential for upside with the hiatus than there was with letting the show continue.