Has anyone fixed / stabilized a premiere that randomly reboots?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by farmermac, Feb 7, 2012.

1. farmermac

farmermac Recorder of shows

Jan 31, 2012
    I just picked up a Premiere a week or so ago. It has been randomly rebooting and freezing since the day I plugged it in...2-3 times a day. There hasnt been a day that Ive awoken and found the box still running.

With the HDUI on, I've been getting the random reboots. I can also get the box to reboot/crash by plugging/unplugging an ethernet cable & USB adapter. Some of the menus like some season passes also trigger reboots

This morning after rebooting the box I turned on the SDUI and the box has been rock solid all day so far. Im definitely not keeping it if the main reason why I upgraded this box (the 20.2 HDUI updates) makes it unuseable.

I'd like to hear from others that have maybe had the issues I've had and see if there's a solution to this problem. There seems to be lots of threads about Premieres rebooting randomly. I wish I'd seen those before ordering, might have saved me lots of hassles.

2. mrrjm1

mrrjm1 New Member

Sep 9, 2009
    Do a kick start 54 and test the drive...If it fails like mine then the drive is bad.

Ray

3. dsnotgood

dsnotgood Member

Aug 25, 2010
    mine never rebooted and froze once in a year. Pretty solid

4. bd177

bd177 Member

Oct 22, 2010
    Tonawanda NY
    I had the same sort of problems back in November when the 14.9 update came out. I read on these forums where it could be the hard drive but I didn't think that was the problem since it passed all the diagnostic tests I performed on it.
    In late January I bought a 2 TB WD EARX SATA3 6GB hard drive and replaced the WD EARS SATA 2 3GB hard drive and have been running with no reboots or
    pixalation problems since then. Hope this helps. The WD EARS hard drive that was in the TIVO has been running in my PC with no problems since then.( ???)

5. angel35

angel35 New Member

Nov 5, 2004
    NEW YORK CITY
    All well that ends well???