Has anyone figured out why the Netflix App...

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by alleybj, Mar 18, 2013.

1. alleybj

alleybj Member

Dec 6, 2000
    atlanta, ga usa

Advertisements

Keeps switching in and out of 1080p24hz, with accompanying black screen? I have two internet providers, 6 meg and 20 meg, and it does it with both. Constantly. I've changed to the Google DNS settings, nothing seems to work. No problem with Netflix HD content that's not 1080p24hz, and I have multiple AppleTVs and Blu Ray players that display Netflix, and everything else, just fine-- again, though, no 1080p24hz. I know I could just turn it off, but it looks so good. Same problem using both Yamaha and Onkyo receivers (with scaling turned off, I believe), but all of the TVs are Sharps, if that matters (The Sharps definitely display 1080p24hz, they even display native PAL without a converter, fyi). I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I have the same problem. The Netflix app dynamically adjusts output from 1080p/24 to 1080i/60 based on available bandwidth. I'm not sure how exactly they determine when to do this but it seems really finicky. Sometimes I can watch an entire show without it doing it and other it happens every few minutes. It got so annoying I just turned of 1080p/24 so it sticks with 1080i/60 instead

3. djwilso

djwilso Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    I don't mean to be snarky, but you can easily solve your problem by purchasing a Roku box or just about any other device you can think of, and never use TiVo for Netflix, because unless you go into your settings and disable 1080p24, you will get this problem unless you have blazingly-fast Internet.

4. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Have the problem too. I don't think it's a matter of "blazingly fast internet" needed since the 1080p/24 streams are still only about 9-10 Mbps at most. It's more a matter of can you get sustained bandwidth of ~10Mbps for prolonged periods. Since there isn't much buffering with Netflix TiVo app just a momentary drop in bandwidth can cause it to switch. I don't know how many levels (bit rates) of 1080p/24 encodings there are, but I suspect perhaps only 1.

I have seen claims by others that non-TiVo Netflix clients supporting 1080p/24 don't have the problem where TiVo does, so not sure why that would be the case...

5. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada

Advertisements

Perhaps those other apps can do more buffering?

6. Mike-Wolf

Mike-Wolf New Member

Feb 25, 2013
    I do see this issue on both of my TiVo Premieres, since I have it setup to use 1080i and 1080p/24fps. Most of the time it kicks in within the first minute of a show and stays constant throughout the show and into the Netflix app itself when choosing programming, and upon selecting another show and hitting play it switches back down to 1080i then back to 1080p/24fps. Other times it flops back and forth every few minutes. I'm not sure what to make of it due to my internet connection being a solid 53Mbps down and 10Mbps up.

7. blackngold75

blackngold75 Active Member

Mar 9, 2010
    Northern...
    This issue doesn't appear to be directly related to internet connection bandwidth, either: I currently have 50M down/25M up, and am using wired ethernet to my Premiere and I still have this problem. I finally had to disable 1080p. Would adding a little bit of buffer potentially solve this problem?

8. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Remember it has to be solid 10+ Mbps to the Netflix servers and also possibly TiVo servers. Solid 50+ Mbps just of your local node does not mean solid connection to anywhere on the internet as there are many hops that won't see anywhere near 50 Mbps.

9. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Try a different DNS. When I've used my TiVos for Netflix I have not had those problems. Although I am on the FiOS 150/65 tier. The Netflix stream quickly goes to 1080P24 and stays that way during the entire title. Although lately I have been gravitating away from using my TiVos for Netflix. I have been using my Roku 3 and my BD player. And soon I will stop using my ROku boxes for netflix and mainly use my BD players since I can access the Netflix 3D titles from them.(I'm getting a second Netflix 3D capable 3D player soon)

10. Aero 1

Aero 1 Active Member

Aug 8, 2007
    anyone else see audio lag when the tivo ramps up to 24p? it only happens to me on 24p. how do i solve this? i wouldnt even know where to start on my avr or tv, especially since all other non 24p content works fine.

11. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    I clearly have a much smaller (perhaps almost non-existent) knowledge base than the rest of you on this, but the only problem I'm having is that when I start a show it is a little pixely. After it goes a few minutes that goes away. But if I have to rewind or FF it gets pixely for a couple of minutes again.

I watch on my TV, through the Tivo Netflix app, with a wireless home network.

I have only recently re-joined Netflix so I can watch House of Cards so I feel like I need a course in remote commands anyway. I have a hellish time being able to just get from the end of the show back to the menu to watch the next episode.

12. phone man

phone man Member

Nov 4, 2011
    I love my Tivo for TV but I'm with djwilso on this one regarding Netflix. Our Sony TV's built in Netflix interface works much better than the Tivo with little to no early pixilation while it figures out your current bandwidth and we use a Roku on the TV in the bedroom. I do see the early pixilation on the Roku but the resolution improves quickly. We have a 10meg dsl connection now but we had no issues when we had 3meg either. All three devices are connected to the modem with an ethernet cable.

13. Davedude

Davedude New Member

May 25, 2012
    Fremont, Ca
    I have the same problem, switched to 1080i only. Also, pause and restart causes pixalation. I have a 25/5 MB internet connection, that should be plenty of bandwidth to support Tivo's Netflix. Tivo is a great "All in one box" except for the Tivo Netflix app. I have used Netflix on 4 other devices and never had such a poor experience. It's usable, but just barely. If it performed like the Xfinity on demand app, it would be great. I hope Tivo fixes it in the next update.

14. Mike-Wolf

Mike-Wolf New Member

Feb 25, 2013
    What are the FiOS DNS addresses you are using? Also what about the whole Netflix SuperHD and 3D streaming that they have been touting on about for awhile? https://signup.netflix.com/superhd

15. blackngold75

blackngold75 Active Member

Mar 9, 2010
    Northern...
    Why would different DNS servers make performance any better? DNS should be for host name resolution only, and once the TiVo servers are identified and the connection is made then DNS should no longer be a part of the equation.

16. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    It can make a huge difference in the speed that the streaming titles start.
    I'm currently using the UNBlock US DNS servers(for access to the Neflix 3D and Super HD streams). Prior to that I would use either Google DNS or FiOS DNS.

17. shamilian

shamilian Member

Mar 26, 2003
    NJ

The IP address you get from DNS for Netflix video server is different depending on your ISP / location....

You should be receiving the IP address of the closest Netflix to you. This would likely give you the best performance ( unless Netflix/caching service was overwhelmed or configured badly)

18. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    You can get that kind of bandwidth over a VPN? I have a VPN account that I use for some torrenting, and it's OK for bandwidth (about 8mbps symmetrical), but it seems kind of inconsistent speed and latency wise.

19. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I'm only using UNBlock US to get access to those SuperHD and 3D streams.

20. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    Still, those are two big bandwidth sucking applications to be running through a VPN.