Has anyone added an external HD to HR20?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by stingray, Nov 6, 2007.

1. Nov 6, 2007 #1 of 21
    stingray

stingray New Member

Aug 29, 2002
    california

Advertisements

I understand that you can not add an extra Hd to the HR20 but can you add an external Hd and will that work?

I only have a few season pass and my Hd say I am 29% space left. I am not a tech, so if this could be done, someone can break it down for me.

TIA

2. Nov 6, 2007 #2 of 21
    incog-neato

incog-neato ObamaGuy

Sep 17, 2007
    The Cold...
    Lots of people have. Ask here: www.dbstalk.com.

3. Nov 7, 2007 #3 of 21
    JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
  4. Nov 7, 2007 #4 of 21
    HiDefGator

HiDefGator New Member

Oct 12, 2004
    If you don't mind opening the case I think you can replace the internal drive too. Just pull it out and slap in a new one.

5. Nov 7, 2007 #5 of 21
    jimb726

jimb726 New Member

Jan 4, 2007
    Cleveland, Ohio

Advertisements

Yeah but the case on the 700 is a lot more complicated to open than the case on the 100. So it isnt a route I would suggest unless you are quite capable. Otherwise it is just slap and go.

6. Nov 7, 2007 #6 of 21
    ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    The case is easy... the Hard Drive bracket is what is more difficult.

Either way... eSATA works in all three models (HR20-700, HR20-100, HR21-700)

7. Nov 7, 2007 #7 of 21
    AVPhan

AVPhan New Member

Oct 20, 2004
    BTW, Any chance D* programmers working on making eSata as an add on to internal ? Quite few shows on internal and never could catch up to plug in eSata.

8. Nov 8, 2007 #8 of 21
    Matt L

Matt L Member

Aug 13, 2000
    Flushing, MI
    People, why are you asking this stuff here?????

9. Nov 8, 2007 #9 of 21
    Mike Lang

Mike Lang Administrator Staff Member Administrator TCF Club

Nov 17, 1999
    Because it's allowed. Don't you guys read stickys. :)

10. RS4

RS4 New Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Indianapolis...
    If that's the case, then why not create a new sub-forum for the non-Tivo dvrs? :confused:

11. joelq

joelq New Member

Oct 8, 2006
    And just to follow-up, here's a link to the sticky.

But, it's still a touchy subject around here. Too many people get too upset/hurt/annoyed by non-Tivo-DVR discussion.

12. bonscott87

bonscott87 Done.

Oct 3, 2000
    Interesting. Guess the new owners are worried about losing a lot of ad views as people migrate to the non-Tivo platform. ;)

In any case, I'd still recommend people go to DBSTalk.com for talk on the non-Tivo DirecTV DVRs. Not only is it not hostile to such talk you will find hundreds of people with a lot of experience and willing to help/answer questions. Most of those people do not visit here anymore (even though most of us started out many years ago).

Even though I'm a glutton for punishment I have greatly limited my visits here lately but I go thru spurts of posts.

13. Matt L

Matt L Member

Aug 13, 2000
    Flushing, MI
    Well, I guess I'll stop coming here as often as I do. The title still says "DirecTV HDTV TiVo Powered PVRs" wouldn't it be wise to change that?

Personally I really don't like products shoved down my throat, either by D or the members of this forum, it seems you capitulated to the noisy nabobs.

Sad day indeed. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

14. nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Living in a...
    Because they don't want to be too obvious about abusing TiVo's goodwill.

15. nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Living in a...
    I agree completely. If you want to talk about DirecTV DVRs you are much better off hanging out with like-minded folks over on dbstalk.com. Leave this forum for those who want to continue using their HR10 as long as possible.

16. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    actually I dont. Once I read one figure i've read it and rarely look for more. May I suggest a permanent bold or slightly larger font for stickys? Or at least those with moderator support, not necessarily those like premiere tvs shows etc?

17. bonscott87

bonscott87 Done.

Oct 3, 2000
    Perhaps a new sticky post should be created and not just an edit of a 2+ year old post. That way everyone visiting the forum will see it as a new thread to read.

18. joelq

joelq New Member

Oct 8, 2006
    While I agree that given the policy that discussion about the HR20 and related non-Tivo DVRs is allowed, and that the name of the Forum could probably be changed, dude, c'mon now - sad day?!?!? It's a friggin DVR! Surely there's got to be more important things in your life. If not, then I guess it truly is sad.

But I digress. I own an HR20, an HR10-250, plus two other SD DirecTivos (zippered and hard drives upgraded to the gills). Fact of the matter is, many of us visit both forums (and others) because we find value in that. If you decide to stop coming as often because the forum's been contaminated by undesirables, I guess that's up to you!

19. fjwagner

fjwagner New Member

Jan 22, 2006
    Houston, Tx
    well, I just learned something new. The sticky changed from can' t to can. Oh, well. I disagree but that does not matter. The forum had started becoming stale, so a management mandate was needed. Let the feuds continue!

20. RS4

RS4 New Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Indianapolis...
    Yeah, I guess that's true. The funny thing is they have another sticky at the top about maintaining a certain amount of decorum, but at the same time, they are inviting the fox into the chicken pen and locking the the gate. And I'll bet they act surprised when tempers flare up :eek: I guess we'll see (or not see) a lot more deleted threads. Go figure :confused: :confused: