Has Anybody Tried "My DVR" Hard Drive? Recommend or not?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Emacee, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Mar 7, 2008 #1 of 43
    Emacee

Emacee Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Philadelphia...

Advertisements

Any experiences with the Western Digital "My DVR" Expander Hard Drive?

Are you satisfied or dissatisfied?

Is this the only SATA hard drive that works with Tivo Series 3? I notice some other SATA drives (such as "My Book") which seem that same or similar but are available online at lower costs. Will they work with TiVo, too?

Tivo Community Store does not show "My DVR" on its website. The only places I've found it are on TiVo's and Western Digital's websites (both a full retail). Does anybody else sell it?

2. Mar 7, 2008 #2 of 43
    CaviarTung

CaviarTung New Member

Aug 28, 2003
    MD
    I got the DVR Expander and added the movie channel and HD packages to my service 3 weeks ago.. and boy am I glad that I got the DVR Expander and movie channel and HD packages. The price is a bit high for a 500GB drive nowadays but I read too many issues with other esata drives and I didn't want to open the TiVo up to replace the existing drive.

I am, however, now experiencing frequent freezes of my TiVo that I can only hope is an bad system update that will be fixed soon.

3. Mar 7, 2008 #3 of 43
    bananaman

bananaman Member

Jul 18, 2005
    I've had a My DVR on my Series 3 since Christmas, no issues at all. Except there are not enough hours in the day to watch everything!

4. Mar 7, 2008 #4 of 43
    mwwilliams10

mwwilliams10 New Member

Aug 22, 2007
    I got one of the first ones to roll off the lines. It has been working flawlessly (knock on wood) since I got it. A little expensive, but I now can keep 86 hours of HD material or 800 SD. Never thought I would use it, but it's nice to be able to keep stuff around.

5. Mar 7, 2008 #5 of 43
    OvrrDrive

OvrrDrive New Member

Dec 13, 2004

Advertisements

I considered my options for upgrade and came to the conclusion that I was going to go with the my DVR box for several reasons.

Mainly though I figured I could get 750Gb in my tivo for $199, or a 1tb drive for like $280 and do all of the setup myself, or I could get the my DVR expander for $199 and have 700gb total (yes it pairs with the 200gb drive already in there) and have almost as much space as a 750gb conversion and keep the warranty in place for now and have a ton of more space. Eventually I'm going to do a 1tb internal drive and pair it to the external 500gb expander and have even more, but for now I'm enjoying the extra space and there really wasn't any setup to speak of. Just power it down, hook it up and restart it, than when it tells you to restart the system. That's it...

I think it shows like 86HD /890SD hours in the menu now...

6. Mar 7, 2008 #6 of 43
    brettatk

brettatk Thread Killer

Oct 11, 2002
    Powder...
    I'm waiting a bit until the 1TB drives get a little cheaper. Then I'm going to make my own external drive with an enclosure and come out much cheaper than buying a My DVR Expander drive. Then I'll have 2TB of total space.

7. Mar 7, 2008 #7 of 43
    mike_camden

mike_camden New Member

Dec 11, 2006
    I picked up a WD My DVR Expander last week at Best buy for $180 (using 10% coupon). You can find them at Best Buy and at Tivo's online store. It's worked flawlessly. It was more than I wanted to pay for 500GB, but well worth it.

8. Mar 7, 2008 #8 of 43
    janry

janry New Member

Jan 2, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    I've had it for a couple of months. EZ to set-up and no issues at all so far. It has perfromed as I expected it to.

9. Mar 7, 2008 #9 of 43
    Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    I would much rather upgrade the internal drive than add an external one. With an external drive you need yet another power outlet. I already don't have enough outlets for all the stuff around my TV as it is and I do have a power strip.

10. tluxon

tluxon Member

Feb 28, 2002
    Kirkland, WA
    Once you've confirmed that your TiVo runs normally for a week or so, the most likely warranty issue remaining is a hard drive issue.

I just got in the TiVo game less than a month ago and both of our TiVoHDs already have internal Seagate DB35.3 750GB drives. It took all of about 15 minutes each and now if I ever have a hard drive issue I have the knowledge and tools to get my TiVos back up and running without having to send them anywhere.

I also don't like the physical appendage of an external hard drive. If I need it for extra space I'd consider it but not until I've maximized how much I can get "under the hood".

11. logicman1

logicman1 New Member

Jan 10, 2008
    Carmel, NY
    Have you taken a look at Official eSATA Drive Expansion in 9.2: FAQ + Discussion? Since you have an S3 there are other options such as building an eSata expander from readily available components. Building your own expander lets you add up to 1 tb without voiding your warranty and once you have the parts it can be assembled in about 10 minutes. There are also plenty of knowledgeable members that monitor that thread who can offer assistance.

12. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    I also heard some folks were having problems with the cable that comes with the MyDVR Expander. Somewhere in another thread, I think I remember someone posting a link to a website for a good cable to use instead of the stock one. I'll probably do that when I get mine in May.

13. logicman1

logicman1 New Member

Jan 10, 2008
    Carmel, NY
    The Official eSATA Drive Expansion in 9.2: FAQ + Discussion thread has info on recommended cables.

14. pkscout

pkscout Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Honolulu, HI
    Mine has worked fine for the last three months. It was incredibly easy to install, and it's been nice to have the extra space.

15. OvrrDrive

OvrrDrive New Member

Dec 13, 2004
    Mine is working flawlessly on the included cable...

16. 5cats

5cats just jd.

Oct 6, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Same here.

Cheers,
    -jd.

17. bostlaw

bostlaw Member

May 16, 2005
    I had to replace the cable...THD just hung when using the supplied cable...working perfectly since it was replaced....

18. JacksTiVo

JacksTiVo TiVo User since 2001

Jan 7, 2006
    New Jersey
    I purchased the "My DVR" exactly four months ago and it has worked flawlessly. Just like the TiVo brand wireless adapter, when they certify a device for their units, it works out-of-the-box. Now if they could only certify those troublesome CableCards.

19. mike_camden

mike_camden New Member

Dec 11, 2006
    No kidding!!!

20. tivochiguy

tivochiguy Member

Feb 16, 2004
    I've had issues with mine since I purchased it related to reboots. Once i unmarry I no longer have the problem. I have yet to replace cable as others have done - I do plan on it. Tivo is hands off on the issue. They blame it on Western Digital. Drive is not the issue. Majority seems to not have issues.