Harmony Elite

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by DBV1, Jul 15, 2020.

1. DBV1

DBV1 Member

Jul 13, 2018

Advertisements

Hi - I did a search, but did not find anything, although I am sure this has been covered before.

I purchased a Harmony Elite Remote and just programmed it for my TiVo Roamio OTA 1TB. Is there any additional key mapping functions that would be recommended to replace any of the buttons on the Elite or adding new ones?

Appreciate the help! :)

2. lhvetinari

lhvetinari Ambassador to the City of Chicago TCF Club

Jun 24, 2019
    Chicago
    Looks like you’ve got a DVR button - make sure it’s mapped to the List command, if you don’t have one change your device to the TiVo Bolt entry.

Menu should map to TiVo. Thumbs can be soft buttons, I guess. It’s what I had to do. Also, check the OCAP color buttons, they don’t always map right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. DBV1

DBV1 Member

Jul 13, 2018
    Thanks for the advice. Strange - when I go into the Harmony settings for the TiVo device and map a new command, like instead of exit (which is clear for TiVo), changing that to back for TiVo, even though it says back, it still clears.

Same think when I add LiveTv to one of the buttons. When I go to TiVo setting is shows I changed both commands, but not working. Any ideas?

4. DBV1

DBV1 Member

Jul 13, 2018
    I figured it out. :)

5. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT

Advertisements

Not to hijack, but I was at an estate sale two weekends ago and there was an old Pronto TS1000 remote....ahhhh those were the days. :)

6. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    I love my Harmony Elite remotes (I have two to keep my the user experience identical between my MBR and my LR).

I don't recall everything I did in terms of key mapping for the TiVo, but here are some of the things I remember doing:
    • Obvious stuff like record, guide, etc... I won't state the obvious here...
    • Mapped the following for the rewind and fast-forward functions:
      • Short FF - Mapped to the 30-second skip
      • Long FF - Mapped to standard FF
      • Short Rewind - Mapped to the Replay (6 second reverse)
      • Long Rewind - Mapped to standard rewind
    • DVR button I mapped to "My Shows"
    • Menu button I mapped to "TiVo button" functionality
    • To ease my wife's usage, I also put "My Shows" and "TiVo Menu" on the display menu as well
    • Mapped "Exit" button to the clear functionality
    • Mapped "Stop" button and the button underneath the channel toggle to the back functionality
    Since I don't use the TiVo suggestions feature, I do not have the Thumbs Up/Down functionality represented on the screen or on the activity menus. If I need to get to them (for things like the reboot command), I need to go into the devices menu.

7. zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    I know there is one in the context menu but I mapped the little red button to Live TV.

My only complaint with Harmony is they are slower than the regular remote.

8. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Hmm...isn't it more pragmatic and intuitive that the red button is mapped to "Record"?

Many times I am watching a live show that is not being recorded, and I simply press the red button to send the show to my My Shows list, along with any buffered video that it previously recorded from that program... It's a pretty common use case for me...

9. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Interesting...I'm not sure I've ever used that button.

10. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    The button is also useful when you are in the guide view and have a future show highlighted... Press the record button and it will trigger the recording process for that show...

11. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Yeah, that's just not the way I watch TV. I plan everything out in advance. The only time I'm ever in the Guide is when something I'm expecting isn't going to record and I want to double-check.

But I just thought of a time when I do use the Record button...when I'm watching the news. I often finish before it's over (the last few minutes tend to be stuff I'm not interested in), and use Record to stop the recording (and delete it from the resultant menu).

12. KevTech

KevTech Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2014
    Seattle
    Still using the original Harmony One I purchased in 2009.
    Still has the original battery and I can use the harmony software 7 for programming which I feel is superior to the newer software.

Annotation 2020-07-20 143532.jpg Annotation 2020-07-20 144012.jpg

13. zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    I am not referring to one with the red circle. I am referring to the row of colored regular buttons lower.

MikeekiM likes this.
  14. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    LOL... My bad... Thanks for the clarification...

zalusky likes this.