1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Harmony and Hydra, the quest for a back button

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by talentlessHack, Nov 23, 2017.

1. talentlessHack

talentlessHack New Member

Nov 23, 2017
    Good day TiVo wonks!

I've recently upgraded to the Hydra interface for the Roamio, which makes use of the Back button on the remote. Yay?

Now I don't seem to have an equivalent for the Logitech Harmony Elite. Boo.

Does anyone know how I get a Back code to map the obvious back button on the Harmony?

Not looking for "I don't use that remove" or "I use this other remote".

Many thanks!

2. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    I think the folks on this thread could answer your question better. Folks were either able to map the Back button or learn the Back button.

Using TiVo Hydra with a Universal Remote -- Tips

If you have a Zoom button, you may want to try that. It doubles as a back button on remotes that don't have a back button.

3. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    On every Harmony, you can map any function to any button, so I'm not understanding the issue. Where are you getting hung up exactly? Perhaps the Back command has a different name in the logitech database like Exit. Or you could pick another recent Tivo model from the database since Back and present in the database has been around for several years now. I have it mapped on my parent's Harmony, but I did is several years ago, so don't remember the details. Zoom will also work, as the previous poster said.

4. Tjernagel

Tjernagel New Member

Aug 8, 2018
    I think it's silly TiVo quit using the left arrow (by select button) to navigate out of menus. Even if I use the TiVo remote it's easier to use the left, right, up and down arrows to move in the menus. I really hope they correct this. I too have a Harmony One remote. Yes I can program another button for back but should I really have too?

5. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    I hope they don't. Left for Back was inconsistent and illogical. Left should be for moving left. Back for back makes perfect logical sense. Other devices whose interfaces they are trying to mimic, like Roku, also have dedicated directional commands and a distinct Back command. I'd rather have all my interfaces work pretty much the same so I don't have to remember specific exceptions for certain devices. Yes, I understand breaking a years old habit is tough, but the new way is better from a logical design standpoint.

On the other hand, ZOOM for returning to the active video window makes zero sense. But I guess they didn't have much choice given all the old remotes out there with that text printed on the button.

TonyD79 likes this.