Harmony 650 not working with Tivo RF Remote Extender

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Shanezam203, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Shanezam203

Shanezam203 Member

Jul 27, 2007
    [​IMG] + [​IMG] = not working

I have my Tivo in my closet and the TV mounted on my wall so I've been using their $50 accessory the Wireless RF Remote Control Extender as a battery in my Tivo remotes for years & able to control the Tivo in any room in my house... (while the Tivo is tucked away in my closet)

Over the weekend I bought a Harmony 650 and it is paired with my Tivo, my Sony DVD Changer & Panasonic TV, but even with the RF adapter in the AA battery, the remote only works if I point it at the Tivo & Sony DVD changer.

Any idea why the RF extender is not working with the 650 Harmony remote?

Thanks,

Shane

2. Shanezam203

Shanezam203 Member

Jul 27, 2007
    Strange the remote is able to control the Tivo and DVD player when I point it at the units, but the Harmony 650 is not working via RF. * I am not expecting it to work without the little RF batteries in the unit, I am using it exactly like I am my Tivo factory remotes and it is not working unless I point it at the receiver.

Any thoughts what I am missing here? Do Universal Remotes have a hard time working with RF where Factory (Tivo and Sony) are able to use RF?

Thanks,

Shane

3. Edmund

Edmund Remote Czar TCF Club

Nov 8, 2002
    Des Moines. IA
    Extenders like the Next generation models have problems with remotes with LCD screens, like the mx-500 and probably the harmony 650 as well.

4. cannonz

cannonz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Pyramids Powermid X10 has very long range and works first button push every time. I have one been using daily over 20 years still works great.

5. Shanezam203

Shanezam203 Member

Jul 27, 2007
    [​IMG] or [​IMG]
    That may be the case, I talked to Tivo & Logitech Harmony customer support said I will need to purchase either a Harmony remote that supports RF (Logitech 900 or Harmony One)
    OR get an IR Extender or a RF-Wireless-Extender

With the IR extender, I'll need to point to an IR receiver taped to my TV (similar to a WII) and with the RF extender I won't need to point the remote anywhere, it will work anywhere in the room like I am used to now. :up:

6. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    The Harmony One isn't RF, only IR. You would need to get the IR extender to use with the TiVo in the closet.

I've used a couple of the Harmony Ones since they were released a few years ago. They have been great.

7. Shanezam203

Shanezam203 Member

Jul 27, 2007
    I figured it wasnt IR or RF out of the box but I put in the adapter as the AA battery like my tivo remotes (they are RF when I use it) but they didn't work on the Logitech remote, I am surprised...

8. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Those extenders that use the special batteries simply look for patterns in the power draw on the battery itself. Computerized remotes which have an LCD or backlight can interfere with the pattern detection and cause it to send the wrong code. So basically they work great for simple remotes like the original TiVo peanut, but not for fancy remotes like the Harmony.

Dan

9. Shanezam203

Shanezam203 Member

Jul 27, 2007
    That's just what I was looking for. So I need to return the Harmony 650 and back to the Tivo Peanut for now... not sure what I want to do from here.

10. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Get the BT remote for the TiVo. That thing is great. After using it for the last month I like it much better than the larger TiVo remote.

Or just get the IR extender for the Harmony.

11. Shanezam203

Shanezam203 Member

Jul 27, 2007
    Which BT remote? the slide out one with the keyboard?

And the IR extender will work, just liked not having to point anywhere specific with RF vs IR.
    With IR I'd need to wire a receiver above or below the TV right? (sitting on the Xbox in this pic)
    That will be hard because my Tivo is in the closet and the TV is on the wall...

[​IMG]

12. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Yes.

13. Shanezam203

Shanezam203 Member

Jul 27, 2007
    What other RF setup remotes are you all using for Tivo + potentially a DVD player, any suggestions?

Thank you.