Harmony 520 Universal Remote

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by catfish john, Dec 12, 2005.

1. catfish john

catfish john New Member

Jul 14, 2004

Advertisements

I am looking for information on the Harmony 520 Univerdal Remote.
    Does anyone know if you can control 2 tivo's in the same room with it? Any problems, etc.
    Thanks,

2. Aquatic

Aquatic New Member

Nov 26, 2002
    JCP -...
    I have the 529, similar model. yes, you can control multiple tivos. the key is to have each individual remote available. when you create the tivo device, it asks if you have the original remote. say yes, and follow the prompts. If your original remotes are set up correctly with different addresses, you should be good to go...

3. catfish john

catfish john New Member

Jul 14, 2004
    thank you Aquatic for your prompt reply.

4. stingray

stingray New Member

Aug 29, 2002
    california
    I understand that , The 600 Harmony series are a step up. Is (688 harmony) a better remote for the tivo's?

I have HD and Standard Sony T-60, I read somewhere that the buttons on the 688 was more intuitive. And I have a Yamaha RX1400 receiver with a Sony DVd player.

Opinions, anyone?

5. Aquatic

Aquatic New Member

Nov 26, 2002
    JCP -...

Advertisements

Stingray... you're getting into "religous" issues--are hard plastic buttons better than rubberized? Should there be a NPL/LIST button or is going through the TIVO button easier, are "soft buttons" (programmable/menu lists) better or is it better to program hard buttons to different functions... AUGH! :)

www.remotecentral.com has tons of good info, and I highly suggest you run down to your local stores ( Circuit City comes to mind offhand ) that have a display of the different Remotes and pick 'em up and hold 'em. Then stop by the Logitech.com website as well.. I think there's a "test drive" area for programming the remotes. ALL are programmed the same way--you create devices and then create actions, then customize the buttons from there.

My personal feeling is that the Peanut is an Excellent layout--if Logitech would reasonably duplicate the size/layout of a Peanut remote in a universal remote package, I think it'd be a HUGE winner for the tivo/dvr crowd. I suspect there are copyright/patent issues to consider there though.

6. stingray

stingray New Member

Aug 29, 2002
    california
    Aquatic, very thoughtful comments, I will do as you suggested

7. jaym

jaym New Member

Sep 17, 2003
    anyone know of a good place to pick up a universal remote? also, which models do you recommend? I only need to control 4-5 devices and only one is a tivo.