Harmony 520 for TiVo.

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by DCIFRTHS, Dec 11, 2005.

1. DCIFRTHS

DCIFRTHS Active Member

Jan 6, 2000
    New York

Advertisements

Logitech only lists Wal Mart, CDW and Target (out of stock) as online retailers for the 520 remote. Has this been the "policy" all along, or is this remote being discontinued?

Thanks

2. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    Nope, the remote isn't being discontinued... in fact, it's pretty new. Originally it was just at Walmart, now they've expanded somewhat. I think they're targeting the low-end. (The Harmony 520 is also the same as the new Xbox Harmony model with the addition of the 360 function buttons and color scheme.)

I happen to have the remote... works well like all other Harmony remotes, though has a sleeker and less cluttered look. The button response and LCD aren't as crisp as I'd like but maybe that's offset by the look and the neat tilt/backlight feature. :)

I want to find some sort of remote-controlled device to push the power button on my 1st generation Xbox... then I could use the Harmony to flip me to Input 3 on the TV and turn the Xbox on. ;) Too bad my wireless controller doesn't let me turn it on somehow.

3. DCIFRTHS

DCIFRTHS Active Member

Jan 6, 2000
    New York
    I read your review when you first got the remote, so I know it's a fairly recent introduction. I just thought that I had seen it for sale on BestBuy.com Obviously, I am confused :confused:

I like the looks of the 520, and the layout seems cool. I have two 676 remotes, and I like the Harmony products. There are no Wal Marts where I am (yet), so I ordered it online.

One more question: What are the two buttons directly above the "joystick"? One looks like it's marked "Mute", and I can't make out the other one?

Thanks!

4. Jotas

Jotas Got TV?

Mar 19, 2005
    flaVAtown
    I tried the 520 Xbox edition and was not impressed. I wanted to like it but I just couldn't. The other drawback was the fact that I could not adjust the response time on the HR10 with this remote's setup program.

I guess I'm spoiled with my 880. Hopefully the price will continue to drop so I can get another 880 without hearing the wife complain.

5. DCIFRTHS

DCIFRTHS Active Member

Jan 6, 2000
    New York

Advertisements

Response time for the delay between commands? I can aslo do that on my 676s, and I figured it was a standard feature of the Harmony remotes. The defaults are way too slow for me. I may have to return it....

6. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    The left button is "Mute" and the right button is "Prev" - above it is "Menu" which I use as the TiVo button.

It's definitely not a perfect remote, but I think it's above average. I also used to own the 676 (and 659) - I think I slightly prefer the 676 for the firmer button response but I prefer the 520 for the look and appreciate the backlight with tilt sensor. The 659 wasn't great because the play, pause, ff buttons were on the very bottom.

You can specify the milliseconds for inter-key delays on the 520 as with other Harmony remotes. The new remotes use an updated stand-alone software application, so maybe Jotas didn't see the option.

Also tech support will make whatever changes you want... for example I didn't like the way the remote changed inputs on my HDTV. (It would basically hit the 'input' button and then hit the up arrow or down arrow repeatadly until it go to the correct input - this could lead to errors and was definitely too slow. So I reported the label for each input corresponding number which selects it... then explained which I needed for which activities. Within 48 hours I had they made those changes for me. With my 676 the delays were off and it wasn't sending the IR signal long enough for my projector - they also made those changes.)

7. Jotas

Jotas Got TV?

Mar 19, 2005
    flaVAtown
    I am not sure about the standard 520 found at Walmart, but the Xbox edition of the 520 did not seem to have that feature in the on-line configuration settings. Funny though, since the Xbox edtion cost $30 more than the standard 520 at Walmart which goes for $99. I guess the additional $30 gets you the Xbox color buttons.

8. Jotas

Jotas Got TV?

Mar 19, 2005
    flaVAtown
    I just tried adding the gen 1 Xbox to the list of devices on my 880 and received this message when attempting to set it up:

For the Harmony remote to control your Microsoft Xbox you will need to purchase a separate IR sensor package.

So it appears that even with the 880 you need to invest in a Windows Media Extender for Xbox in order to get some some functionality from the remote to the Xbox.

9. DCIFRTHS

DCIFRTHS Active Member

Jan 6, 2000
    New York
    "Prev" :confused: What is Harmony aiming for with that label? Preview? If so, what type of devive would that be used one?

EDIT: Oops. Probably previous as in "previous channel" :eek:

10. cbordman

cbordman PP-ASEL

May 14, 2001
    Holly...
    does the 520 take real batteries? I hate rechargeable devices.

11. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    It takes 4 AAAs... and something I've never seen before - the remote comes with two sets (8 total) of Duracel batteries!

12. mportuesi

mportuesi As seen on TV

Nov 10, 2002
    San...
    I'm interested in the Xbox edition of the Harmony, because it looks really cool and it has those happy colored buttons.

I don't own an Xbox of any sort, nor do I plan to.

Is there any reason why I shouldn't get the Xbox edition? I notice it has xbox-specific features, but can I simply program them away and use it as a generic universal remote? What do the colored buttons replace from the regular 520, or are the buttons the same (other than cosmetic differences) between the two?

Thanks.

13. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    Hmmm... maybe Logitech should start paying me. ;)

Those Xbox-specific buttons are in addition to the 520 buttons. You can see the Mute and Prev buttons are moved below the Nav area but above the numbers and flared out to the sides... which makes room for the row of multi-colored buttons.

The screen and backlighting on the 360 version look more legible (though I haven't seen it in person...) and the color scheme is nice.

You can use it as general universal remote, no problem. The 520 retails for $99, while the 360 retails for $129. So that could be your reason to choose one over the other. Though, they did have a $30 mail-in rebate for the Xbox model - perhaps it's still available.

14. mportuesi

mportuesi As seen on TV

Nov 10, 2002
    San...
    Perhaps they should. You seem to have more information on these remotes than their website does! I'm irked they don't have a product comparison matrix so you can see the difference between their models.

Good news. Thank you.

I saw this on the Logitech website. The way I read it, you need to buy it along with an Xbox 360 to qualify for the $30 mail-in rebate. Great news if you are getting an Xbox, but not for me.

15. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    They have this one, but it hasn't been updated to show the 520 and 360 models...
    http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/comparison/US/EN,crid=2080,sh=1,chart=0,contentid=8789

The remotes are all pretty similar in functionality, except for the 880 which added color screen, pictures, and a charging dock. There is a new model on the way which will include RF and seperate zones/themes for different rooms (or something like that)... but those are $400 which seems crazy for a remote. :)

Harmony 890:
    http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/detailsharmony/US/EN,CRID=2084,CONTENTID=10930

16. cbordman

cbordman PP-ASEL

May 14, 2001
    Holly...
  17. mportuesi

mportuesi As seen on TV

Nov 10, 2002
    San...
    At $75, this seems like a steal. I was really leaning towards the 360 version because of the extra colored buttons, but $75 seems too good to pass up. Both remotes look really nice.

For those who have the 520....does it have enough hard buttons to drive all the TiVo features properly? The other acid test is the DVD player, which has lots of specialized buttons for things.

18. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    FYI mine controls:
    TiVo (non-DVD model) for SD viewing
    LG combo box for DVDs and HD tuning
    HDTV

The only button I feel like I miss regularly is a TV Input one... just because I haven't gotten around to adding my Xbox activity which uses Component 2. Once I add that, I should be able to flip between any of the activities without wasting time hunting for the soft button or TV remote.

By default, I don't think that main TiVo button was mapped to a hard button - so I mapped it to "Menu." I also sped up the response when pressing buttons since there was too much lag for me. The Live TV and Thumbs UP/Down are soft buttons which is fine. If this unit was on an SD set and we watched it more, I might consider mapping Live TV to a hard button. Guide and Info are mapped properly as is the joystick and VCR controls.

By the way Harmony will controls things other than AV... before we moved, I also had it (676) controlling my Lutron track lighting (turn off/on as part of my Watch DVD profile), Roku Soundbridge, and some iPod speaker/dock thingy. The dock/speakers and Soundbridge went the way of ebay though when I got onboard with XM. Hmmm... maybe I'll make an XM profile and bring the remote into my car with me. ;)

Like I said it's not perfect (some of these buttons are a little soft and require some pressure) and the LCD isn't the greatest, but the power and customizability for $75 seems like a good deal.

19. SC0TLANDF0REVER

SC0TLANDF0REVER I Love my TiVo!

Dec 9, 2001
    Raleigh, NC
    Thanks for the heads up on this great price!

I could grab the batteries out of my other unused remotes to make up for the $25.00 savings. :p

Edit:
    Though to be fair, I just noticed the price is after rebate through Sears directly.

20. mportuesi

mportuesi As seen on TV

Nov 10, 2002
    San...

I just ordered the 520 from Sears. I was billed $74.99 plus $6.38 sales tax and $5.95 shipping, for a total of $87.32.

I printed out the rebate form. The rebate form is for the cost of shipping. It looks like the rebate is their way of offering free shipping on "all mailable items purchased on Sears.com".

Thanks especially to davezatz for the info and cbordman for the Sears deal!