Harder to order Cable Cards as part of bundles nowadays...

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by siratfus, Nov 20, 2015.

1. siratfus

siratfus Active Member

Oct 3, 2008

Advertisements

Have any of you ordered cable service recently? I've been comparing new bundles from Fios and TWC, and their bundles now do not allow you to replace their DVR with a cable card. You'll have to add it as extra and keep their box. Sure, you can do it a'la carte, but you will not be able to get their special bundle prices and rebate cards, etc.

What do you guys think about this tactic? Legal?

2. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    You don't say who your provider is. I'd imagine bundling is legal; at least one cable company bundles a cable modem for internet service and doesn't give you a rebate if you supply your own. You could hire a lawyer and find out, unless your cable company's EULA has an arbitration clause.

3. Budule

Budule New Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Jut went through this and the extra cost is why I went back to directv , had to pay 3.50 for a cable card AND 7.00 for a box that wouldn't be used , or , like you said , pay some outrageous price without the box, its suddenlink in my area and it is in the fine print...

4. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    Comcast does the same thing, I am still paying for an X1 DVR even though I don't have one. It's not a line item charge on the bill but baked into their total cost.

5. snerd

snerd Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2008

Advertisements

I have Comcast. Recently upgraded to a Double Play bundle. I own all my own equipment and don't pay for anything that I don't have. Their billing policies seem to vary wildly with location.

6. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
  7. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    The OP said TWC and Fios.

Bundles make it impossible to tell what the DVR fee is, and thus effectively get around any applicable FCC rules about having to charge you less if you supply your own DVR (e.g., TiVo). The a la carte prices if you try to get everything but the DVR add up to much more than the bundle prices that include their DVR, keeping in mind they will continue to give you promotional prices on the bundles if you call in and threaten to quit every year when they announce the huge price increase.

It's either legal or the FCC doesn't care enough to look into it -- they have much bigger political fish to fry. If the Democrat members thought they could pull it off they would mandate free cable TV for everyone.

Let's face it, the few TiVo owners who care enough to pay attention are not a significant political constituency and it's hard to portray us in a "victim" class.

8. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    My deal is somewhat the same but instead of Comcast X1 DVR I get a free cable card and a $2.50/m credit

9. mahermusic

mahermusic Deadlines Amuse Me

Mar 11, 2003
    U.S.A.
    We have a Comcast Double-Play (just internet & cable... no X1), and there's a code they can add if you don't use their equipment. It takes $2.50 off your bill (see attachment).

[​IMG]

10. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    $2.50 ?? Whoopee! :rolleyes:

11. trip1eX

trip1eX imo, afaik, feels like to me, *exceptions, ~aprox

Apr 2, 2005
    IT goes against the spirit of the ruling from the sound of it. But did you call them up? Might be a limitation of the website. Plus you can negotiate prices/fees in a phone call. They might bend especially if you are willing and able to switch to satellite instead.

12. mahermusic

Mar 11, 2003
    U.S.A.
    Um... wha?

13. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    That meant "big deal!". Only $2.50 credit for furnishing your own DVR? it should by 5X or 10X that much. Didn't seem worth mentioning to me.

14. mahermusic

Mar 11, 2003
    U.S.A.
    It shouldn't be 5X or 10X that much, because the cost of the cable company's cable box and remote, which is a part of the bundle I'm receiving... is... $2.50.

Now $2.50 by itself as a one-time payment isn't anything special... but when you take into account that's per month... and the Series 1 TiVo that that's connected to has been running non-stop since December of 2001.... well... you do the math. ;)

15. FitzAusTex

FitzAusTex Member

May 7, 2014
    Last March, for example, I didn't qualify for TWC's $29.99 deal on their Movie Mogul package (movie premiums). I had to pay full price of $39.99, cause I had a cable card, and not their box.

16. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    "Baked-in" means it's part of the bundle, right? That seems reasonable. Same as the default set-top included in all packages; yours just has an X1 DVR included.

However, are they charging you an "Additional Outlet" fee for your TiVo? *THAT* would seem against the FCC policies, if the TiVo is your only set-top device and the X1 has been returned. Your only charges related to TV hardware should be a $2.50/month credit for customer-owned equipment.

17. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Yep, the "Customer-owned Equipment" credit.

See this post for more info, and Comcast documents that can be used to ensure a Comcast customer service rep doesn't get away with telling you they have no such credit or policy.

The link also includes contact info for escalation if you're meeting too much resistance.

18. bgmncwj

bgmncwj New Member

Mar 25, 2004
    SE Wisconsin
    TWC pitched me a triple play bundle. I signed up and during the entire process asked for a cable card instead of the box, they refused. I opened a ticket with the FCC quoting the exact rule they were violating and within a week got a call from their executive office. She agreed they were violating the rule, told me to drop off the box and rebuilt the bundle with a $20/mo discount over what it was originally. It worked but I'll have to go through the entire process again in Feb since that's when my discounts expire. It's such a pain, I really hope if and when Charter buys TWC their polices are a bit better.